Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2014, 11:05   #1

Boat: Dufour 12000ct 45 Ketch
Our approach to boatschool curriculum

Of all the boat projects creating our daughters (ages 9 and 11) curriculum was the hardest. We opted to not buy "school in a box" from places like Calvert and go it alone.

Our latest blog post explains how we tackled this ourselves. We are also open to suggestions from anyone else who's done this themselves.

Here's hoping we haven't screwed this up and our girls are headed straight to beauty college (no shame in that!)

SailingTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 11:20   #2

Boat: Hurley Alacrity
Re: Our approach to boatschool curriculum

Both my wife and I are certified school teachers and we homeschool.

The best method we have discovered for us is to use this book series for each grade level:

https://books.coreknowledge.org/home.php?cat=298

Get the book for each grade level and it explains what a child should know for that age/level, then search out appropriate resource books for it. I have no problem with using school text books and you can find quite a few when your local library has a book sale, and you can also call up your local school district in the spring when they are replacing old books and get quite a few for free that way.

P.S. Nice blog!

Old 13-11-2014, 11:28   #3

Boat: Hurley Alacrity

Also, you can download the entire wikipedia shebang:

Wikipediaatabase download - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either the bare bones 10GB or the entire terrabyte(s) godzilla version. Stored on its own hard drive you'll have a huge amount of information at your (and your childrens) fingertips.
Old 18-11-2014, 22:37   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite - 43' Ketch

MBWhite, that is brilliant. I didn't know that was an option.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-01-2015, 15:55   #5

Boat: Lafitte 44

The more I research the more I am coming to the same conclusion. One of my bigger concerns with the 'school in a box' method, is the internet access / attendance issues that seem to be creeping into them all. It will be fun to follow your progress.
Old 08-01-2015, 16:10   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I have no experience with "home schooling", but as a long experienced educator, my concern would be that the emphasis remain on the means of solving problems and not the answer to the problem; the analysis of the information and not the data; the process of learning and not the content. I'm sure most already know this, but some overlook this importance.
Old 19-01-2015, 16:02   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53
Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeon_tsd View Post
The more I research the more I am coming to the same conclusion. One of my bigger concerns with the 'school in a box' method, is the internet access / attendance issues that seem to be creeping into them all. It will be fun to follow your progress.

We did Calvert for my daughter through 8th grade, and Keystone with my son for grades 10-12.

Online courses are problematic, last year my son had too many and we got killed by lousy net access in Panama, Galapagos, etc. We spent too much time anchored near shore wifi in French Polynesia playing catchup.

This year we went for fewer online courses (like we did in 10th grade) and are doing much better. The downside to online is that Keystone has more limited offerings - e.g. all of the AP courses are online as are most of the cooler electives. You CAN get a decent HS program through correspondence, for example my son is taking calculus this year but it isn't AP Calculus as approved by the College Board. Since he met his graduation requirements without more electives we didn't sign up for any this year, instead he is doing Westlawn's lite course.

WRT college...so far so good. He's been accepted at Southampton Solent University in the UK for their Yacht Design program. Apps still pending at US schools.

Our experience has been the biggest college hurdle from boat schooling is recommendations. Every school wants them, and you have no real personal relationship with teachers to get them. My son did an internship and got important and helpful recommendations from that.
S/V Evenstar - Hallberg-Rassy 53 Hull #34
Our travel blog, or "Embarrassing things I do to myself around boats"...
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 17:43   #8

We have been using Calvert for 2 years with my 11yo daughter. She enjoys the syllabus and with the lesson plans from Calvert it is easy to support her.

There is some online work but we have kept it to a minimum and just relied on the hard copy material.

Last year, we spent some time in Perth AUS and put her back into the school system at a well regarded primary school. She was near the top of her class and all her teachers had very positive things to say about her progress.

As an aside, Calvert is announcing a new High School program (all the way through year 12).
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 17:54   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53
Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy73 View Post
We have been using Calvert for 2 years with my 11yo daughter. She enjoys the syllabus and with the lesson plans from Calvert it is easy to support her.

There is some online work but we have kept it to a minimum and just relied on the hard copy material.

Last year, we spent some time in Perth AUS and put her back into the school system at a well regarded primary school. She was near the top of her class and all her teachers had very positive things to say about her progress.

As an aside, Calvert is announcing a new High School program (all the way through year 12).
My understanding is that Calverts high school offering is completely on line which is why we looked no closer for my daughter to continue there.
Old 23-01-2015, 19:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingTerrapin View Post
We opted to not buy "school in a box" from places like Calvert and go it alone.
That has been our approach as well (ages 10 and 13). We wanted to be able to custom the lessons to the environment/ region around us. Plus we didn't want to be buried in worksheets or tethered to an internet connection. So far it has worked okay with land based travel during the dry run. We plan to move aboard mid-year so hopefully it will be running a little smoother by then.

Look forward to checking out your blog and following up! All the best!!!

Tags
school

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: