Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 16:37   #1

Ontario to Disney World

Would like to sail to Florida from Lake Ontario, and take the family to Disney world, has anyone done this? I'm aware I can't sail to Disney but any recommendations on places to keep the boat while we're at Disney for a week? And how long a trip like this would take? I'm new to sailing but would like to plan to do this within the next couple years...
JamesRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 16:43   #2

Re: Ontario to Disney World

What's your air draft?

Option 1 - Cape Canaveral area.

Option 2 - Consider going into the St John's river at Jacksonville as far as Green Cove Springs marina or possibly further south.

Option 3 - St Petersburg. Municipal marina is popular, great if you can get a reservation.

I'd pick among those 3 depending on your follow-on plans for your cruise. Option 1 is likely the shortest by boat and leaves the Keys and Bahamas nearby. Option 2 offers fresh water and low long-term wet or dry storage costs. Option 3 might be where you come to after a drop the mast and downhill on the Mississippi River route.

Sounds like a fun trip !!
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 16:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
What's your air draft?

Option 1 - Cape Canaveral area.

Option 2 - Consider going into the St John's river at Jacksonville as far as Green Cove Springs marina or possibly further south.

Option 3 - St Petersburg. Municipal marina is popular, great if you can get a reservation.

I'd pick among those 3 depending on your follow-on plans for your cruise. Option 1 is likely the shortest by boat and leaves the Keys and Bahamas nearby. Option 2 offers fresh water and low long-term storage costs. Option 3 might be where you come to after a drop the mast and down the Mississippi River route.

I think our air draft is around 40ft but would have to double check on that, option 1 seems like the best for us but I have to keep doing some research and get things figured out a bit better.
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2017, 16:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRules View Post
I think our air draft is around 40ft but would have to double check on that, option 1 seems like the best for us but I have to keep doing some research and get things figured out a bit better.
Thanks!
At only 40 feet I suspect you can get well south from Green Cove and closest to WDW.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 17:12   #5

Quote:
At only 40 feet I suspect you can get well south from Green Cove and closest to WDW.

Awesome thanks, I will look more into this option as well....
Old 02-10-2017, 17:50   #6

Quote:

Any idea on how long this trip would take roughly?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:07   #7

The answer to this question depends on a lot of variables. chiefly your route, and how you want to trade off between distance and fun. It is possible to sail into the Atlantic from Quebec City or New York and keep going until you get to Florida, but this is a serious undertaking, and not recommended for an inexperienced skipper with a small boat and a family crew. The normal route is via the ICW, a series of rivers, lakes and canals running down the East coast (google Great Loop). About 2500km at 8km/h and 6h/day works out at 50 days. Adjust the figures how you want.
Good Luck,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:40   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRules View Post
Any idea on how long this trip would take roughly?
If you want to get there in a hurry, I suggest flying (on a commercial flight). Airfares to Orlando are cheap.

It doesn't make sense to go there by boat from your location unless you take the time to enjoy the towns and cities along the way (and the way back). So, figure out how many hours you're willing to travel each day, how many places you want to stop and for how long, figure out the mileage and do the math.

If you put me on the spot, I would estimate a couple months each way.
Old 03-10-2017, 17:46   #9

Boat: Krogen 42

After spending time cruising I doubt you will be impressed with Disney world.
Old 03-10-2017, 18:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

It takes Sharon and I about three months to get from Toronto to Lake Worth at 7kts. but we explore all the way. If you don't stop except to sleep at that speed I'd guess a month to five weeks..... if you don't have to hide up the Hudson waiting for Hermine to pass or get stuck in Cape May waiting for Mathew to pass or any of the other things that can cause long delays.
Bottom line .... a schedule is going to screw you big time.

On the other hand we've delivered boats from Lake Ontario to Lauderdale in 18 days and from Beaufort NC to Toronto in 9 days at 20kts.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46   #11

Boat: PDQ 44i

We made the trip from Lake Ontario to Florida a few years ago and it was unforgettable. First unstep your mast and secure it on a well-built scaffold or frame. Prepare fender boards for the locks. Be sure you have a good hand-held VHF; you just took down your antenna.
Cross Lake Ontario and check into the USA. We entered at Oswego. From there it is a lovely cruise via the NY state canal system to Albany on the Hudson. You will go through numerous locks including the lock with the greatest altitude change in the world, I think. Cruising through the Adirondack mountains is amazing.
On the upper Hudson, have your mast re-stepped. We used Hop-O-Nose marina for that. Then cruise down the Hudson to NYC. Stay at the marina just off Broadway. Take in a show or an opera.
Then with good weather, sail overnight down the Jersey coast past Atlantic City and enter Delaware Bay. Mind the tides.
Take the C and D Canal to Chesapeake Bay. Be sure to stop at the Mariners' Museum at Hampton Roads.
We like to stay in the ICW until south of Hatteras, and then to go outside when the weather is good. From Southport you can lay St Augustine and still stay inside the Stream.
This is a great trip. Do not hurry. There is so much to see and do along the way. Disney World will be anticlimax after this cruise.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 19:30   #12

Thank you everyone, we would be taking our time, just curious as to how other people have done it, I had it in my head somewhere around a month there and a month back give or take.

Tags
ontario