Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 01:31   #1

Boat: 2005, Dufour 38.5
Obtaining a European pet passport

First of all this forum is quite amazing. I have literally had answers to 80% of the questions I have about sailing here ( the rest from books/YouTube)

Suppose, really makes me respect the people that ventured down this path in the early days, truly stepping into the unknown without this documented easy access material...

Anyway my question is about euro petpassort. What exactly are the steps to getting one place in my hands? ( my dog has recently been imported to Greece from Aus, so it’s not a euro native)

Is it worth getting?

I obviously have all the health history, vaccination, government certification and had everything done to export him from aus, so what will a passport show/have that I don’t have already?

Thankyou in advance
Luke.
Ausluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 02:26   #2

Boat: Custom 55
Re: Obtaining a European pet passport

Hi there,
You sort of need to have one if you're going to spend any time over there. I believe that the UK/Ireland require them. I don't think you can get on a plane inter-Europe without it, either.

It's basically all the info in one place that's widely recognized and accepted.

If your dog is already in the EU, it's just a matter of going to a Greek vet and getting it issued.

It's certainly worth having.

Hope that helps. TJ
Old 27-01-2018, 03:05   #3

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Any vet should be able to issue the passport, dog will be microchipped it it's not already. Been a few years since we took our dog home but think we had to do the rabies vaccination again when we got the passport.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 03:16   #4

Dog just had a rabies jab last month, so i hope he dosnt need another one, money wise and filling the poor bugger up with more pharmaceuticals.

We have an aussie pet passport with all the history ect is this not good enough for EU countrys? After all i think Australia is fairly stricked/organised with animal disease..
Old 27-01-2018, 03:55   #5

The dog needs an EU pet passport to travel in Europe, rarely checked unless going to the UK and a few other countries but don't think you want to be caught without it. Don't think anyone will pay any attention to his Aussie passport, best case you can use the rabies vaccination in it but I doubt that to and expect that he will need new jabs.
Old 27-01-2018, 04:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausluke View Post
Dog just had a rabies jab last month, so i hope he dosnt need another one, money wise and filling the poor bugger up with more pharmaceuticals.

We have an aussie pet passport with all the history ect is this not good enough for EU countrys? After all i think Australia is fairly stricked/organised with animal disease..
i just bought all the paperwork that needs to be filled out by a vet,
including the required rfid microchip.

One of main requirements is the dog must be microchip-ed before the rabies shot is administered. If not, then must be giving the rabies shot again after it is.

I dont know how many countries actually wave the time period for arrival into a country, but I did find out that Sweden waves time limit period if traveling by sailboat.

The following web site was helpful in getting the blank paperwork, plus the chip and i also bought my own reader for the rfid tag.

https://www.pettravelstore.com/

You can pick your origin and destination and see what is required.

Another main problem is the titter test. You need find out about that to the country you are traveling to.

From the USA to Sweden the titter is not required and since I am going direct from USA to Sweden, the time period limit of the health cert is not applied. Just can't make any stops anywhere else.

NOT any vet can fill out the required paper work is what i found when i went to local vet. They could not, but did give my the address of a vet that was certified to do this.
At least in the USA.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 09:05   #7

Hi, welcome to Europe! We brought our yorky to the UK from South Africa. Flew him to Amsterdam, London, Scotland. He was micro chipped and had his rabies antibody titre done in SA. All his vacs including rabies done at the same vet since puppy every year. His own vet in SA health certificate, provincial vet stamps after check up, govt vet check plus paperwork check at Johannesburg intl.prior to boarding. Amsterdam airport vet check of animal and paperwork, picked him up and to a Dutch vet who checked him and took copies of his vacs book and all paperwork, incl titre and export health certificate. She asked if we would pay for a call to his SA get to confirm the records, we said "of course", then took our word for it and issued a European Pet Passport. This was accepted on arrival in the UK where he spent one night in quarantine. His Scottish vet checked his chip, all the SA paperwork and his pet passport, end of story. You come from a rabies free country so that history works for you. From memory, the rabies antibody titre was done 3 weeks or so after his last shot in SA,there also was a test just before they gave him the shot, not sure what for. All this was for entry into the UK, where they were very sticky at the time, pretty much worst in Europe. Things are much more relaxed now. We keep his shots up to date to keep his passport current. Very useful thing to have, if you travel with your fur kid. The big thing was the delay between the rabies shot and the titre, that was a few weeks. Also, some countries (including UK, require parasite treatment which is timed before boarding, or entry denied. Also goes in his book. Having all our guys' records for inspection by the Dutch vet made it a breeze, helped in the UK too where every time he moved vets they wanted to see the lot again, and charge, of course. Hope this helps, fair winds!
Biomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 11:43   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausluke View Post

Anyway my question is about euro petpassort. What exactly are the steps to getting one place in my hands? ( my dog has recently been imported to Greece from Aus, so it’s not a euro native)

Is it worth getting?

It is mandatory to have valid pet documentation for the locations that you may visit.

I obviously have all the health history, vaccination, government certification and had everything done to export him from aus, so what will a passport show/have that I don’t have already?

In travelling in the EU you must conform to their requirements and have EU documentation for a pet passport issued by EU. With a pet passport travel within Europe is straightforward. It's absence could require quarantine and you don't want to waste energy and time arguing at border crossings with non EU documentation.

Thankyou in advance
Luke.
To get definitive answers search Google for "Movement of pets Europe"

Here are some links from the first page of this search.

Pet Animals

https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pe...ms-websites_en

To get the formal EU regulations, read their requirements, all 26 pages of legalese.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...3R0576&from=EN]

As the dog is presently in Greece, a Greek veterinarian can issue an EU pet passport,
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 15:01   #9

Thankyou all for the comments!
Old 27-01-2018, 15:32   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

If they have a passport from another country ,,, wouldn't they need a visa? As opposed to a new passport ?
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 02:37   #11

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

i'm chiming in because you mentioned that you just got your dog a rabies shot...

I got a european passport for our cat in 2016. it was required for us to travel with her to the US. if i recall correctly, it cost me about 90 euros and was gotten through our vet (here in paris). she already had a chip, so it was about updating shots and filling in papers and sending them off: the vet filled in paperwork, and i sent it all off with a cheque (i think for 40 euros) and then it was sent to my home address by snail mail.

i do not recall exactly what timing constraint was involved, but i'm pretty sure it had do with the amount of time since the rabies shot. the paperwork and the shots need to be done within a given period of time...

just so you know, when we decided to return with our cat to france, we had to go through all the shots again and a special form, two visits instead of one, three times the price and was more complicated...

comparatively the french vet was much more knowledgeable and efficient.

on the way to the states, our cat was looked over and the passport was checked. the guys wanted to make a big deal about it but gave us a break since our connecting flight was leaving (we missed it!). but, when we returned to paris, we just walked on through... without a check. we have dual nationality, so it didn't have to do with that... it was because the cat was in a small bag and no one noticed her

good luck!
Old 04-02-2018, 02:33   #12

Boat: Hanse 575

We have now been cruising the Med for two years, we bought our little dog from NZ to Italy before we left Italy we told by other that we needed an euro pet passport. We then went to Italian vet to get one and were told that we didn't need one. We have now been to many countries in the EU and have never been asked for one. We are now in Turkey but we leave here it is a requirement to have rabies shot done at least 3months before we leave and bloods tests done. However we have been in and out of Turkey and never been asked anything about the dog.
Flyby turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby turkey View Post
We have now been cruising the Med for two years, we bought our little dog from NZ to Italy before we left Italy we told by other that we needed an euro pet passport. We then went to Italian vet to get one and were told that we didn't need one. We have now been to many countries in the EU and have never been asked for one. We are now in Turkey but we leave here it is a requirement to have rabies shot done at least 3months before we leave and bloods tests done. However we have been in and out of Turkey and never been asked anything about the dog.

Could you explain the 3 month rabies shot and blood tests abit more? You need these done to re enter EU from turkey?
Old 05-02-2018, 00:03   #14

Turkey is what EU calls an unlisted country, the dog needs a blood test to make sure the rabies vaccine worked.
If the blood test is done in the unlisted country you have to wait 3 months from the day the test was taken.
If the blood test is done before leaving the EU there is no waiting time. Blood test is valid as long as vaccinations are up to date.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:43   #15

Boat: Hanse 575

Thanks Andes you are pretty much on the money.
Flyby turkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope