Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 20:04   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
New Female Sailor With Her Own Boat Needs Your Help To Travel!!!!

There is a new sailor who is female. 2 slips over from me at my marina. She bought a boat. 1982 S2. Had survey and made a bunch of repairs to get the boat ready to take from Baltimore to New York. She had a friend who was going to help her with the trip, but this was just before hurricane Sandy came through. She was hold up in my marina for the passing of the storm and her friends travel arrangements basically pulled him away and left her in a slip just a couple of boats away from me. She needs some help to get the boat to NY. She is a livea board and will be staying in NY. She is trying to find someone who can help her get up there, but does not really know where to go or who to ask, so I got her contact information today and told her that I would post on here. Last person that she asked stated "Just talked to another delivery captain who also was not willing to go. He called it an unpleasant job. " according to her email to me.

Just figured that this would be the place to go to see if there was anyone who could help. Let me know if you have any suggestions for her or can help and I'll pass it along.
Old 23-11-2012, 21:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: New Female Sailor With Her Own Boat Needs Your Help To Travel!!!!

From the other side of the world and not knowing her personal situation and abilities may I suggest that it's not impossible to do the "ditch" by herself?

She would need at least a spare week, to do some research, to get a suitable plotter and then go.

It could also be a good idea to chat with folks on the VHF as she goes.

Am I missing something here. It doesn't look that hard.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 21:36   #3

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

What's the condition of the nav aids going up Jersey now? Are there still some issues with debris? I have no idea how fast clean-up and nav-aid replacement may have gone or how well traffic is flowing. It seems like a second pair of eyes would be nice for the trip. Does the OP know much about the boat and sailor?
Old 23-11-2012, 21:41   #4

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Not a long sail at all and you don,t need any electronics to make that trip. Boracay the ditch is in the other direction. Baltimore to NY is not a big deal, you wouldn't even need a captain, just fdind someone who knows what he or she is doing and wants to take an overnight cruise thats all.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 21:46   #5

I'm amazed how many people are now scared to death to go anywhere without their electronics. You should know how to read charts and traditional ways to navigate even if you have all the goodies. If you ask me all this technology has made the waters more dangerous, not safer. What are all of you going to do when you get hit by lightning and all of your toys take a ****? You better know how to read a chart or your in big trouible.
Old 23-11-2012, 21:50   #6

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
Not a long sail at all and you don,t need any electronics to make that trip. Boracay the ditch is in the other direction. Baltimore to NY is not a big deal, you wouldn't even need a captain, just fdind someone who knows what he or she is doing and wants to take an overnight cruise thats all.
It is not an overnight. Maybe 5 days if everything goes perfectly smoothly. Baltimore to the C&D. C&D to Cape May. Cape May to ??? (let's say AC or maybe Barnegat). Then to Sandy Hook. Last day to destination. Add time for weather and whatever else might come. the days are getting shorter and colder too. The NJ coast should not be taken lightly in the winter.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 23:01   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

This might be a useful linky:
Waterway Cruising Guide | Cruising Guide News

As of this week they were still saying of the intercoastal, "NJICW - Mostly closed, and National Guard will prevent boats from transiting any of the northern sections. Channel is choked with debris, houses, sunken vessels, cars. The NJ ICW may not be navigable this spring."
Old 24-11-2012, 00:48   #8

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch
Cape May to NYC is a straight shot, one overnighter. See no reason to stop anywhere, there is no marinas left on our coast. I may help, however I can not take much time off. If she bring her boat into Cape May, I can help her on ocean side. I sailed the coast several times in winter.
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 00:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu
Cape May to NYC is a straight shot, one overnighter. See no reason to stop anywhere, there is no marinas left on our coast. I may help, however I can not take much time off. If she bring her boat into Cape May, I can help her on ocean side. I sailed the coast several times in winter.
As you can see, English is my second language and my phone wouldn't let me edit the post.
Anyway, I have always wanted to have a sail on S2, I liked everything I read about it. PM me and see if we can fit our schedule. Does she know where she is going to stay in NYC?
Old 24-11-2012, 01:32   #10
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

I did the reverse trip at this time of year a few years back. It can be a cold trip, but if the westerlies prevail the sea state should not be bad a few miles off shore. A night or two with a heater plugged in along the way will be a help.

Boatsail, I sent you a private message with some contact info for three delivery captains that were available back then. Not sue if the info is still current, but it may be of some help.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:31   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

That trip at this time of year strikes me as insane. Go put up Wind Guru and see this weeks two offerings.

No wonder a delivery captain said no. He was prudent.

There are no opt out ports on the New Jersey shore as they are all closed.
All marinas in NY city and NJ were damaged and may not be taking new boats.

Max temp this week is 46f/5c and that's the max. Most temps max temp in the low 40s and every night freezing.

That's not a cold sail, that's an inherently dangerous one boardering on suicide for someone so inexperienced.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:38   #12

Yeah, and life is fatal decease.
Old 24-11-2012, 06:38   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
That trip at this time of year strikes me as insane. Go put up Wind Guru and see this weeks two offerings.

No wonder a delivery captain said no. He was prudent.

There are no opt out ports on the New Jersey shore as they are all closed.
All marinas in NY city and NJ were damaged and may not be taking new boats.

Max temp this week is 46f/5c and that's the max. Most temps max temp in the low 40s and every night freezing.

That's not a cold sail, that's an inherently dangerous one boardering on suicide for someone so inexperienced.

Mark
What Mark said (perhaps a little less vehemently; but not much so)!!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:45   #14

I usually don't get to involved in these things, or try to change the subject, but first off, Mombo if you think it takes 5 days to get from Baltimore to NY you probably shouldn't be giving any advice on the topic anymore and I mean that in the nicest way because you don't know what the hell your talking about. Been there done that. Mark J you should calm down a little too. Christ it's not that tricky a sail. As for how scarey the weather is, I was kayakinhg all day yesturday fishing off Orient Point at the end of Long Island. Water was like glass. Look at the weather, get a window of a few good days, find someone with half a brain who can make a left turn up the Atlantic coast and head to NY. I work at Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington on Long Island. Most of the mainas on the sound side are fine. Docks almost came over the piles, but the wind shifted and saved the day. Thats all I have to say, but it an honest post. Can everyone stop trying to scare the crap out of whoever this women is.
Old 24-11-2012, 06:53   #15

Boat: PETERSON 44
I gave this a little thought. The boat would need independent heat source. The weather windows could mean long layovers in the upper bay, cape may, not sure cape may is open. Then a straight overnight run into newyork. I guess if you had a long window that could be done. Probably best left alone. Leave the boat and run it up in May
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote