Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2012, 07:57   #16

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: New Female Sailor With Her Own Boat Needs Your Help To Travel!!!!

Oh I also forgot, that you can tell the women our Marina takes live aboards. I lived on mine for three years thats how I saved for my mortgage. Manhasset Bay Marina, Port Washington NY 516 883-8411. Ask for Pat he is the manager. The winter water line and electric is already in place, so give Pat a call on monday and see if we have room. Up the East river, left at Hells Gate pass under the Throgs Neck and make a right into Manhasset Bay.

Old 24-11-2012, 08:00   #17

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Right at Hells Gate oops you don't want to run into Manhatten sorry

Old 24-11-2012, 08:27   #18

Boat: Cal 2-27

Thanks guys/gals for taking the time to respond.

LJH, thank you for the contact information for the delivery captains. This is what she is looking for. I will pass it along immediately and hopefully can get her to NY.

I don't think the trip this time of the year would be the most fun, but not as dangerous as a professional made it out to be. For a new sailor, any trip could be dangerous, but for a capt with exp, I don't see where lies the danger. She has not singlehanded her boat yet and that would not be safe for her to take the trip by herself.

Thank you all for the response!
Old 24-11-2012, 13:26   #19
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

A bit of corrected info, none of the NJ ports are closed. Some marinas may have damage but most remain open as boats are business. You could pull in to atlantic city or mansquan,maybe others. I came down hudson river during/after sandy and from a boaters view its the same as always. just dont try to buy fuel every 20 miles. Get some good form of heat and do it in a couple jumps. I travel the NJ coast each november/december. Wait for good weather windows
Old 24-11-2012, 13:41   #20

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I'm amazed how many people are now scared to death to go anywhere without their electronics. You should know how to read charts and traditional ways to navigate even if you have all the goodies. If you ask me all this technology has made the waters more dangerous, not safer. What are all of you going to do when you get hit by lightning and all of your toys take a ****? You better know how to read a chart or your in big trouible.

Giving a "thanks" to this poster!!! How true his post! And how many are out there who have never made the effort to take a basic navigation class along with other basic boat handling classes!

Foggy
Old 24-11-2012, 13:48   #21

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Now back to the OP request for possible assistance. This is November and the water is the Atlantic Ocean. Taking such a trip at this time of year might make you wish later that you did not. So far we have been lucky to see somewhat pleasant weather.

Foggy
Old 24-11-2012, 20:06   #22

Never said it would be fun or easyd, but not as dangerous as many think it is. I'm doing the Chesapeake bay bridge swim in June and to many, that is dangerous or to far, and most definitely uncomfortable, but plenty of people do it.
Old 24-11-2012, 21:54   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I usually don't get to involved in these things, or try to change the subject, but first off, Mombo if you think it takes 5 days to get from Baltimore to NY you probably shouldn't be giving any advice on the topic anymore and I mean that in the nicest way because you don't know what the hell your talking about. Been there done that. Mark J you should calm down a little too. Christ it's not that tricky a sail. As for how scarey the weather is, I was kayaking all day yesturday fishing off Orient Point at the end of Long Island. Water was like glass. Look at the weather, get a window of a few good days, find someone with half a brain who can make a left turn up the Atlantic coast and head to NY. I work at Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington on Long Island. Most of the mainas on the sound side are fine. Docks almost came over the piles, but the wind shifted and saved the day. Thats all I have to say, but it an honest post. Can everyone stop trying to scare the crap out of whoever this women is.
So how long would it take you to make the sail? In round numbers it's 50 miles from Baltimore to C&D. Then about 50 to Cape May. Then an overnight from Cape May to NYC. Never done the C&D but think might be preferred to do that in the daylight if it's anything like the ICW.

So assuming no weather delays.

Day 1, leave Baltimore in the am make C&D that evening.

Day 2, leave C&D to Cape May the next evening.

If the weather is still good and you're in a hurry you could continue on to NYC but that would probably put you into the city about dark the next day. I personally would prefer to transit NY daylight so would overnight at Cape May so

Day 3, leave Cape May for NY and arrive the forth day. Depending on where in NY you're going you might arrive day 4.

By the way, this time of year, kayaking one day at Orient Point doesn't mean a few days later it won't be blowing like stink off Cape May.

No not a tricky sail if you know what you're doing and the weather cooperates. Since the owner is asking for help I'm assuming she knows her limitations and should not attempt this without good help.
Old 25-11-2012, 14:15   #24

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

From Baltimore to NYC should be 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 days depending on the boat. Which S2 is it? 30ish feet or 36ish feet?

I just got back from Brick NJ and the inlets along the NJ coast are basically fine except for some interesting shoaling.

I'm leaving at the end of this week on my own boat to run from Annapolis MD to Melbourne FL and then back for the SSCA Melbourne Gam and Annual Meeting. I can consult this week. I can do a delivery after Christmas.

The big deal on this run is boat speed and tidal current (current, not tide) in the C&D canal. That means, for the week between Christmas and New Years hitting the Chesapeake end between 3 and 4 in the afternoon for slack before flood. Leave Baltimore a bit before noon and you can ride a boost straight through the canal and down the Delaware Bay. Baltimore to Cape May should be around a day on an S2 8 or 11 if you can maintain 5 kts or better STW. 6 kts would be better.

Weather permitting just keep going up the coast at the 70' line or East. It really is all about the weather.

I have a portable propane heater and a wefax 'go-kit'.

My thanks to boatsail and Mambo for pointing me at this thread.

If my schedule or rates don't fit with the S2 owner's needs I'll be happy to help her find someone that can help. I can definitely make a run to Baltimore this week to look at the boat and tell the OP and owner if the boat is ready to go.

Have the owner contact me directly at office@auspicousworks.com . If folks here are interested in the nuts and bolts of a delivery I'm happy to keep this thread updated as long as the owner is okay with it.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54   #25

hello
I am a novice sailor mostly day sails. If she needs crew i be happy to help.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:02   #26

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I have to chime in to second Idylles. The trip is no big deal. Just make sure to use the tide coming down Delaware Bay and do not try to buck it!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45   #27

Boat: Gulfstar 50

You all are posting to a 2012 thread.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12   #28
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

Giving a "thanks" to this poster!!! How true his post! And how many are out there who have never made the effort to take a basic navigation class along with other basic boat handling classes!

Foggy
We've had different experiences. I don't know anyone with a boat who doesn't know how to read -- and use -- a chart. it's not rocket science.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:47   #29

Did she make it?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:34   #30

Her boat is no longer at the Marina. Ill email her and ask how it went

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: