Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 22:19   #1

New family, new-to-us boat?

It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here so small update. My wife and I just got married and after talking to my grandpa he is giving me his 23ft ranger. (I’ll put up a new hello post for more details).

Anyway, after my mom passed recently a lot has changed and I’m curious how feasible it would be to live on a 23ft boat with 1 child and 2 dogs(I say 2 dogs because our Saint Bernard is getting older and may not last more than s few more years sadly). Granted this is all in the future as the boat needs some tlc. Reason I’m considering this is the size and because we love to travel, she would also like to homeschool our daughter so schooling isn’t an issue. I’ve heard a lot of docks do the 1$ a foot or 2$ a foot for a slip and keeping length down wouldn’t be terrible idea either. We aren’t too afraid of the minimalist lifestyle persae, we lived in a 200sqft shack for our 1st year together with 3 dogs, fish and a hamster. My plan would be to sail locally near port (where ever that may be) and every few months or so sail open ocean, Roatan, Thailand, French Polynesia, Kauai are on my bucket list stops.

With all that said, how doable is this on this boat?
Oreopenguin536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 23:17   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: New family, new-to-is boat?

Where’s the ‘hold my beer and watch this’ icon?

rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 23:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Where’s the ‘hold my beer and watch this’ icon?

Hahahaha understood[emoji23]
Old 13-03-2018, 01:53   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Orepenguin,

Well, we had some friends--he was about 22, and she was 18--who sailed a Top Hat (25 ft) from Australia to Canada, via HI, then returned, via Mexico and French Polynesia. When they left, they were a couple, when they arrived back, there was a daughter and one on the way. NO dogs. The voyaging part worked well.

The dogs won't be welcome in the South Pacific. The 23 foot Ranger is a day sailer. You'll have to consider the room required for water, and food and spares. My guess is that it is not the right pocket cruiser for the job. And you'd better not take your animal friends. The reasons are legion and covered in other CF threads. If you are unwilling to go back for them because of danger to boat and crew, best find them good homes, before you leave. Had a girlfriend whose dog went overboard and couldn't be found, the heartache has stayed with her to this day. Or stay home, and care for them, as perhaps their love has earned for them, and venture out when you and the family are better positioned for it...

My own opinion is that a St. Bernard is way too big for such a small boat, and it would be a form of torture for it, especially an older dog. In general, cats do better on boats than dogs, but food for long ocean passages for humans and dogs takes space, space I don't think that boat has.

Ann
Old 13-03-2018, 03:10   #5

Of course, doable: if you get the boat shipped to your "bucket list locations" on the deck of a freighter. Still, I am a bit reluctant how comfortable would be a 1.5 ton boat in the Pacific swell.
Old 13-03-2018, 04:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New family, new-to-is boat?

That size boat you may be able to do it.. just.. but without the dogs.
But seriously a St Bernard on that boat is just silly.
Even more so if your considering crossing oceans.. your best averages will be 75 to 85nm/day if you sail in season.. you cannot carry enough food and water for long passages.. stay coastal till your dogs die.. for their sakes.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 08:08   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Huge difference between that boat and a 200 sq ft shack. The shack has a yard! It is really bigger than 200 sq ft. The boat doesn't have the yard and it is all you've got.
Old 13-03-2018, 08:31   #8

Boat: Boatless

No

(The forum algorithm said my message was too short, has to be at least 5 characters) :-)

I’ll re-write with 6

No
No
No
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 08:40   #9

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

The is sufficient room for the Hamster - but I doubt the dog and the three of you would fit. I'm betting the relationship won't survive a month without a shower.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 09:07   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Dock queen or day sailer should work. Maybe some coastal cruising as well. Bottom line- boat too small and dog too big for extended trips. IMHO weekend is about the maximum you should attempt. Live aboard in marina doable but be aware most marinas charge by the foot but with a 30 or 40' minimum. Anchoring out would be a PITA given a big dog to transport and walk several times a day.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 09:21   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreopenguin536 View Post
It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here so small update. My wife and I just got married and after talking to my grandpa he is giving me his 23ft ranger. (I’ll put up a new hello post for more details).

Anyway, after my mom passed recently a lot has changed and I’m curious how feasible it would be to live on a 23ft boat with 1 child and 2 dogs(I say 2 dogs because our Saint Bernard is getting older and may not last more than s few more years sadly). Granted this is all in the future as the boat needs some tlc. Reason I’m considering this is the size and because we love to travel, she would also like to homeschool our daughter so schooling isn’t an issue. I’ve heard a lot of docks do the 1$ a foot or 2$ a foot for a slip and keeping length down wouldn’t be terrible idea either. We aren’t too afraid of the minimalist lifestyle persae, we lived in a 200sqft shack for our 1st year together with 3 dogs, fish and a hamster. My plan would be to sail locally near port (where ever that may be) and every few months or so sail open ocean, Roatan, Thailand, French Polynesia, Kauai are on my bucket list stops.

With all that said, how doable is this on this boat?
Not meaning to be crass but surely you jest?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 11:19   #12

Re: New family, new-to-us boat?

Before I say more
let me clarify...the Saint Bernard would NOT be with us. She is currently almost 8 and this whole plan wouldn’t happen for atleast 4 years due to me going in the military and also having quite a bit of work to do on the boat to get it back up to par. We aren’t sure how much more time she has but 4 years is getting up there. She will NOT be with us.

Lol either way I get the gist of it, not a good idea in that small of a boat.
I guess my next question is would it be better for me to get some time on it in open water then step up to something bigger or just start saving for something bigger now and keep the ranger as a Tahoe boat?

As far as experience goes Ive been on boats since I was 3 and have done racing camps, racing blah blah blah. Biggest boat I’ve sailed was my grandpas cs 36 before he sold it. Problem I’m concerned about is most of my experience was inside the San Francisco Bay or on lakes, not much open ocean stuff. I’m not trying to put the cart before the horse but I do want to know how I can prepare before anything happens as far as setting out on a decent trip like I’ve mentioned
Old 13-03-2018, 11:21   #13

By the way thank you for all the answers and help! Definitely nice to hear from some experience as to what the best plan would be[emoji16]
Old 13-03-2018, 12:11   #14

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

I'd be sure to get the old St.Bernard neutered... for everyone's sake... I'm just sayin'... surely no room left for another youngun'!

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 12:14   #15

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

You snuck the dog report in while I was typing...

Laugh anyway! It was funny!

Aarrrgh!
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, family