Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2018, 12:18   #16

Re: New family, new-to-us boat?

Old 13-03-2018, 12:18   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

No.That boat is too small.

First problem...dogs. I love dogs and sailed with mine for many years. But if you are passage making, it just won't work. Its cruel to the dogs.

Next...babies. Babies need a ton of attention and resources. Its difficult to sail and keep the babies safe. I've tried. It so much easier once they are 2 years old. Like many others, I sold my boat when my kids were born, and hugged the land for a couple years. Sailing with young kids is great.

And finally, that boat is just too small for much more than a daysail. There are tons of old boats for sail at free to almost free prices...there's even a CF thread dedicated to these boats. With all respect, better to save up a few $ and do it right. Might not be what you want to hear. But no dogs, wait till kids are at least 2yo, and get a 30 foot boat. You have a sentimental attachment to the 23, but emotional decisions are rarely good ones.

I admire your ambition to sail with your family. Kudos!

And finally, $1/foot is fair. But a 30 foot boat can anchor out for free and be very comfortable. A few solar panels and a big water tank, and you are all set. Sailing is all about solving problems. And the first problem to solve is finding the right boat. Best of luck to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	166157   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	166158  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tabukillbill.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	166159  

Old 13-03-2018, 12:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
No.That boat is too small.

First problem...dogs. I love dogs and sailed with mine for many years. But if you are passage making, it just won't work. Its cruel to the dogs.

Next...babies. Babies need a ton of attention and resources. Its difficult to sail and keep the babies safe. I've tried. It so much easier once they are 2 years old. Like many others, I sold my boat when my kids were born, and hugged the land for a couple years. Sailing with young kids is great.

And finally, that boat is just too small for much more than a daysail. There are tons of old boats for sail at free to almost free prices...there's even a CF thread dedicated to these boats. With all respect, better to save up a few $ and do it right. Might not be what you want to hear. But no dogs, wait till kids are at least 2yo, and get a 30 foot boat. You have a sentimental attachment to the 23, but emotional decisions are rarely good ones.

I admire your ambition to sail with your family. Kudos!

And finally, $1/foot is fair. But a 30 foot boat can anchor out for free and be very comfortable. A few solar panels and a big water tank, and you are all set. Sailing is all about solving problems. And the first problem to solve is finding the right boat. Best of luck to you.

Well said, I may not like to hear it but I asked for advice and so far itís all been pretty consistent. Is it possible to have 2 boats? I mean my grandpa did it but the ranger sat in his yard for over 20 years lol, definitely donít want that. And what size should I be looking for? His 36 held my grandma and grandpa and 2 kids comfortably, on occasion my other cousin would come as well and it would be 3 kids but thatís all from a kids perspective and when I was in my later teens I never even thought of anything like this, just loved to sail.

Only thing tricky is my wife has never sailed before but she definitely wants to try it and she likes boats, but for the most part I would be sailing semi singlehanded.
Old 13-03-2018, 12:42   #19

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreopenguin536 View Post
... this whole plan wouldnít happen for atleast 4 years due to me going in the military...
Generally, i think financing a boat is a bad idea, you're situation I recommend it. You got USAA on your side. I saw them loan >$20,000 on an old, junky trawler without a survey, to a girl two months away from discharge, I couldn't believe it.

As soon as you get your first orders and know where you'll likely be stationed, start shopping. Get a good loan from USAA to buy something decent and better suited for the purpose. I'd probably recommend a mid 30ish footer. Reasonably priced, many to chose from on any coast. Spend every dime they'll loan you on a good old boat with a fresh engine, pay it off and fix all must-have systems before your discharge. Also save every penny you can spare.

Sail your a$$ off when you get out.
Old 13-03-2018, 12:57   #20

New family, new-to-us boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Generally, i think financing a boat is a bad idea, you're situation I recommend it. You got USAA on your side. I saw them loan >$20,000 on an old, junky trawler without a survey, to a girl two months away from discharge, I couldn't believe it.

As soon as you get your first orders and know where you'll likely be stationed, start shopping. Get a good loan from USAA to buy something decent and better suited for the purpose. I'd probably recommend a mid 30ish footer. Reasonably priced, many to chose from on any coast. Spend every dime they'll loan you on a good old boat with a fresh engine, pay it off and fix all must-have systems before your discharge. Also save every penny you can spare.

Just for s**** and giggles, why donít you normally recommend financing?
Old 13-03-2018, 13:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreopenguin536 View Post
Just for s**** and giggles, why donít you normally recommend financing?
Depreciation. But you'll be shopping for boats that have mostly depreciated all they're going to. Your old boat will depreciate a lot slower than newer boats and its value will be more affected by its condition than its age.

And you can't leave for 4 years. You have no choice but to work and pay your bills. Might as well pay off a proper boat.
Old 13-03-2018, 13:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post

If he is going in as enlisted I don't see how he could afford a boat payment with a wife, child and older large dog.

Back in my time as an E5 with two kids drawing base pay along with sub pay, pro pay, sea pay, Housing/Subsistence and some I can't remember, I sure couldn't afford a boat payment.

Even on the O side it would be pretty tough.

Plus he will be pretty busy training and getting ready for his first duty station which could be anywhere and likely not near the boat.

But, times and situations change so good luck.
Old 13-03-2018, 13:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
If he is going in as enlisted I don't see how he could afford a boat payment with a wife, child and older large dog.

Back in my time as an E5 with two kids drawing base pay along with sub pay, pro pay, sea pay, Housing/Subsistence and some I can't remember, I sure couldn't afford a boat payment.

Even on the O side it would be pretty tough.

Plus he will be pretty busy training and getting ready for his first duty station which could be anywhere and likely not near the boat.

But, times and situations change so good luck.
He'd have to forgo the obligatory newish car that I see most soldiers drive nowadays. The wife would have to work, too.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984...g#.Wqgx8c8pDqA

Should be able to afford something like that.

Looks good with 300 hours on the diesel, looks like original electronics.
Old 13-03-2018, 14:17   #24

For sure would buy it after discharge, would probably be easiest.
My plan, or should I say rough plan is to try and get some rentals even like a duplex or quadplex for income by the time Iím out or soon after discharge that way we can have some passive income.

I know I have quite a bit of planning to do still and talking with the wife. That ranger can go outside of the bay decently right? I still do want to fix it up and sail it for sure

What is an average boat payment per month?
Old 13-03-2018, 15:54   #25

Boat: Volkscruiser

I was just imagining the smell from a couple of stinky nappies and a wet dog all in that cabin for a wet week! It would eye watering I am sure!
Cheers
Old 13-03-2018, 16:16   #26

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Years ago I lived aboard an Ingrid 38, single much of the time but occasionally with a female partner. Personally, I thought 38 feet was cramped.
When I finally settled down and got married, we first lived aboard a Transpacific 49 ketch then moved aboard a DeFever 54 both of which provided the creature comforts we both desired.
A Ranger 23 is asking for interpersonal problems if you ask me!
Phil
Old 13-03-2018, 16:23   #27

54í?! Jeez thatís getting up there. How is that with 2 people?
Old 13-03-2018, 17:48   #28

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Hi Oreopenguin,
the Ranger is going to be a great boat to fix-up and day sail with your wife to get your sailing and maintenance skills up (if need be). If you take your dogs along you might get a feel for what your family would require and be comfortable with for living-aboard and passage-making.
For me, I cant imagine being happy living with a baby and 2 dogs, on anything less than 36ft with 2 burner stove, shower, fridge and freezer, plenty of house batteries, at least 300L both water and fuel storage, watermaker (and more) but there are all kinds of people out there. There is a family of 13 living and cruising on a 43 ft Roberts here in Aus (yep: 11 kids aged 0 to 14) and they were fairly new to sailing beforehand, I believe.....
Old 13-03-2018, 17:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki S View Post
Hi Oreopenguin,

the Ranger is going to be a great boat to fix-up and day sail with your wife to get your sailing and maintenance skills up (if need be). If you take your dogs along you might get a feel for what your family would require and be comfortable with for living-aboard and passage-making.

For me, I cant imagine being happy living with a baby and 2 dogs, on anything less than 36ft with 2 burner stove, shower, fridge and freezer, plenty of house batteries, at least 300L both water and fuel storage, watermaker (and more) but there are all kinds of people out there. There is a family of 13 living and cruising on a 43 ft Roberts here in Aus (yep: 11 kids aged 0 to 14) and they were fairly new to sailing beforehand, I believe.....

Family of 13?!?! Thatís just impressive
Old 13-03-2018, 17:55   #30

Again thanks for all the input guys!

Tags
boat, family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: