Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2008, 10:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 (1988) - Zeno of Elea
new cushion covers for catalina 34

I'm looking for a good place to get replacement cushion covers for the main cabin of a Catalina 34.

The cushions themselves are in great condition & the so are the covers really ... so I don't need to replace everything on the boat but I prefer a different color scheme for the table area & bench in the main area.

Any ideas? What would the cost be? Since this is decorative I'd rather not pay an arm & leg.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
SweetSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 11:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
It's called "Fabrics and Such" ... at least here in So. Cal. You go in, buy sixty gazzilion yards of fabric, and start sewing.

okay - semi-seriously - my ex-g/f redid my saloon. The most dramatic thing was to buy some cheap throw pillows and recover THEM. And then ... Throw them around. (I did say SEMI-serious). It worked pretty well - she also recovered the seattee and chair - but the material doesn't hold up well. So, choose your material well, and cover OVER the existing covers (so if it don't work out, you are at least where you started).

If you like, you can practice on mine!!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 16:22   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Two years ago we had new cushions made for the saloon but did not do the settees in the forward and aft cabins. Last year we approached the same folks to do them and the price was outlandish sooooo... I took the two cushions to an upholstery factory where the recovered the cushions for 1/10 th the price of the original shop.
I would look to upholstery shops for the best rate.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 19:16   #4

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Your boat is called Zeno of Elea??? Do you ever get where you're going?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 19:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I was shopping around for boat cushions a few years ago and getting outlandish prices. I would look for a place that specializes in reupholstering furniture and not boat cushions....much cheaper. Tell them all you need is a custom slip cover and that it does not need to cover everything...just the visible parts. And don't tell them it is going on a boat otherwise they will double the price on you...

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 10:36   #6

Boat: Catalina 34 (1988) - Zeno of Elea
Why am I not surprised the price jumps if someone gets wind you want the covers for a boat? Hilarious. Great tips all - so thank you!

To answer the 'did you get where you're going' question - I haven't yet, but it all seems to be worked out so by the end of the month I'll be exactly where I want to be!

Thanks again to all!
SweetSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 14:08   #7

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSailor View Post
Why am I not surprised the price jumps if someone gets wind you want the covers for a boat? Hilarious. Great tips all - so thank you!

To answer the 'did you get where you're going' question - I haven't yet, but it all seems to be worked out so by the end of the month I'll be exactly where I want to be!

Thanks again to all!
Good luck! Old Zeno seemed to think it wasn't possible, if I recall my freshman philosophy. Perhaps you can prove him wrong.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 03:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Good luck! Old Zeno seemed to think it wasn't possible, if I recall my freshman philosophy. Perhaps you can prove him wrong.
Connemara

I once was there, and now am here. Ergo ZENO was wrong - you can get here from there.

Not that it matters to Engineers ...

Tell some scientists that they will be placed in a room lined up along a wall, with beautiful women lined up on the opposite wall.
Every minute they are allowed to walk half the distance between them and the women.
Scientists will realise that they will never reach the women and leave.
Engineers however, know they will soon get close enough for all practical purposes and stay.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 10:26   #9
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
And technicians will figure a way around it.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 11:10   #10

Boat: Bayfield 36
I am in the Toronto Area and have just completed doing the cockpit cushions for my sailboat and will be commencing the interior work in the next two weeks, l am taking on small jobs as l have aquired several walking foot sewing machines and will be specializing in boats doing small canvasand vinyl repairs and recovers.
Because l am just getting into this l am willing to do jobs a lot cheaper than the big guys but believe me my quality of work is not like the big guys...i am better..l find by going slow l can produce a better quality and because this is not my primary income source l can work at a fair price.
Just incase you want to try it yourself l can tell you there is a major outlay for materials and the proper equipment..it can be done on Moms Singer but will not be easy to do .
Also , and believe me on this, use NEW FOAM, it just about drove me nuts trying to make covers for old foam.
You will find most pros will charge just about the same if you want them to use old foam.
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 13:59   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Why am I not surprised the price jumps if someone gets wind you want the covers for a boat?
If you do find the cushions are in good shape and just want to recover using an upholstery shop is a good way to save just be sure you are considering good fabric. You want to be sure there are no natural fibers like wool or cotton in the material. 100% Olefin is a good material and can be cheap. Most of the good marine fabrics are also treated to resist mold and mildew so being {marine" does make a difference. Most marine shops mark up the fabric a lot more than upholstery shops do.

You can find a lot of fantastic materials that are "outdoor" materials used for high class patio furniture and they can be a good choice. Some are made by Glenraven Mills (Sunbrella).

You may still want to have them come to the boat as the shape of the cushions may not be exactly like when they were brand new. You also want to be sure you tell them it is for a boat as you don't want metal zippers and you may want a few snaps and they should be set on the boat.

Dave is correct you really can't do upholstery with a typical home machine. The fabric really is the big cost item. Our 36 ft boat used 11 yards and that was using less expensive fabric on the bottoms that would still breath but not as fancy. Fabric under $25 / yard are not easy to find if you want something you might actually like.

Most of the nice stuff starts at $30 / yard and goes up to pretty high for the ultra leathers and ultra suede (they start at about $70 and go over $150). On the low end of the ultra fabrics you will find they wear twice as well as the cheaper fabrics. It's one time when the extra cost is worth the price.

It's then that having a pro helps as cutting and waste are a big deal with those expensive fabrics and doing something twice is an expense you don't want. The scraps from our upholstery job were nothing bigger than 2 inches wide and we redid them all inside and out.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 15:26   #12

Boat: Bayfield 36
Further to Pauls remarks the cost of foam has gone up proportionally with the cost of oil so if the old foam can be used it will allow you to spend a little more on the part you see..the fabric.
In most cases the foam ,if not to deformed , can be brought back with the introduction of very hot steam application, (another piece of costly equipment) and the "Super Steamer" sold on the Shopping Channel won't cut it.
Trim accents such as welting to accentuate the cushions and poly fill to increase loft and cushieness (is that a word??)Will also add to the costs.
I must say that though the fabric costs do get into the ranges Paul quoted, l have found excellent fabric to do the salon in my Bayfield 36 for less than $80. total.
dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 01:42   #13

Asking about altironmarine website

Im about seeing this website and found many great products do you think they have good condition items
Sailor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 05:40   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
altironmarine
I think you have a spelling problem. I can't get a hit on google. Boats like the Catalina 34 have a large number of sister ships so often tempt vendors to use the same patterns and offer to make the products locally and ship them with the idea that they will work and be cheaper for the customer.

That may be true but the cost of going to a boat and making patterns is not a huge part of the job. It's easy to offer a job at a low price when you don't see the fabric to be used or the foam and the type of construction and detailing. These all enter into the quality of the job. I would say there are a million ways to wimp out on a job to lower the cost. Good quality materials suited for the marine environment are not inexpensive.

I would hazard a guess that what comes in a new Catalina is of moderate quality. They give some thought to wear and use a decent quality foam. You may be offered upgrade options too. It possible to go a great deal down the scale for a really low price. Be sure about what you are getting if it is a local upholstery shop or a mail order outfit.

If you can get a complete specification about all the materials you might be able save a few $100. That is about the cost to come and make patterns. After that, all players are on an even playing field.

It is possible that places that abuse the help might give you a lower price but my feelings are they keep the extra money. If they would cheat the employees why would they treat you better?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:54   #15

Thank you for reply yes i type it wrong its Altrion Marine™ - Home, because Im looking for different marine electronics which im using in fishing but Im not quite sure regarding their quality because the price is less, Do you think this site is good
Sailor07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina