Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 08:14   #16

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Re: More men and women issues

I have respect for anyone who can do a job as well as I can, even more for those who take on and accomplish more than I would even start on.
The same for my lovely one, who is a social worker. Dealing with issues and people that would tire my patience.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: More men and women issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I have respect for anyone who can do a job as well as I can, even more for those who take on and accomplish more than I would even start on.
The same for my lovely one, who is a social worker. Dealing with issues and people that would tire my patience.
You can say that again... have had a few friends in that line off work...
I'd cut my throat in months with the depression/problems..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I think you're an amazing woman, person, and delicious too......i2f
plus 1....and a mate Anjou.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 18:38   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

"Call your boyfriend and ask him if these are the correct parts." I know they are correct and I know how to build engines. Any boyfriend of mine would not know an oil slinger from a lock washer.
I have to give a lot of credit to all the women who made it into the boy's world before us. I can't even guess what a woman like Amelia Erhart did to make it. And her co-pilot was a man. He must have been getting a lot of grief too.

The guy's want to think they are something special. Fine. Let 'em think that while we do what we want to.
Old 10-09-2011, 18:53   #20

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey Anjou....
You and I should get together...
With the guys thinking your a 'Butch' wanna be...
and most folks... including a few women... thinking I'm Gay... (I like cooking/hate football/love female company... )
We'd really blow a few minds.....
You mean the pick T-shirts and mascara are all sham?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 20:42   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41

Intelligent, competent, organized, talented, strong(physically and intellectually), good with tools, sensitive and beautiful. If a man can't appreciate that -- he ain't a man that is worthy of your attention.

My daughter got a lot of those traits from my wife. I go out of my way to introduce her to strong women. When are you two going to lunch? We'll be in London next June.

You are breaking the path and that is harder for you then those who will follow you but thanks. You are an inspiration to those of us who want to be full human beings.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 20:54   #22

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I've been a mechanic for a LONG time and I don't care if you are a male or female, as long as you can do the job you get paid for, on in your case the one you aren't getting paid for.

I consider myself a pretty good cabinet maker (coach maker in England?) and from the pictures I've seen of your boat, you would give me a run for my money, and sadly, I might finsih second. Ignore the insensitive dolts and keep on doing what you do.

@Boatman: It is ok you don't like foolball, the ball shouldn't be round anyway.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 21:16   #23

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Well, you're getting a fair portion of positive reinforcement here, Anjou.

Maybe your boat yard is just full of lager louts, cavemen and wannabe admirals.

It's not a "gender issue" as such, but in terms of skill and, more importantly, possessing a willingness to learn and to expand one's knowledge, I noticed after about five years of owning a boat and racing that I knew at least as much as some of the old fellas who had the same boats for 30 years.

And had never sailed them very well, and had mechanics on speed dial to fix stuff.

Not that these unsalty old salts put on airs or played the veteran skipper, but boating for them was a sort of limited and repetitious recreational activity that demanded only so much theory and if theory didn't work, switch on the motor. The beer kept cooler that way.

Even racers can have bad habits of mind, if not technique, and when the race is finished, so is thinking about how to sail.

So while I can understand your concern about some of the rude (if not perhaps always intended as such) comments you've heard, I would say that you hear them not as coming from men, but as coming from fellow sailors. Omit the block and tackle, and focus on the course laid, so to speak.

If you are as able as you say, it shouldn't bother you when a lesser or simply less interested in sailing sort of sailor makes a remark about your XX gamete status...who cares when you are doing a good job irrespective of plumbing? It's like going to the zoo and seeing a monkey fling poo at the glass of the cage: You get to go home, but the monkey stays in the cage smelling of poo.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 14:13   #24

Hi Anjou!
Strang how strong intelliegent women scare some poeple on the male side..

I have always found these female companions very stimulating and to be quite frank persons that did often learn me something new.
Now at the age of 50+ I must admit to that the occasions where I learn are not fewer than before but quite the oposit.
It is sad to see the gender issuses makes people blind to learning and enjoying new things as well as living a full and rich life besides each other.

I must admit to beeing lucky enough to have one of the most intelligent and more important Wise female human beeings by my side to help me when ever I am starting off with the wrong foot first and I learn from her every day! ( of course I hope that I might be able to contribute some in return but that is not really important)

I belive there might be a learning point for you and that is not to get to involved with men with to a fragile ego! ( probably pissing a few of here)

Ask question so that you can learn ,do not ask questions to be able to supply the awnsers !

Rgds

Kristian
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 14:30   #25
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Anjou,

Guys like that are running a blood deficit.... Don't have enough ta run both heads at the same time... so the default smaller one kicks in and takes over ; -)

Just consider the source and move along with yer best smile...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 14:33   #26

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
Hi Anjou!
Strang how strong intelliegent women scare some poeple on the male side..

I have always found these female companions very stimulating and to be quite frank persons that did often learn me something new.
Now at the age of 50+ I must admit to that the occasions where I learn are not fewer than before but quite the oposit.
It is sad to see the gender issuses makes people blind to learning and enjoying new things as well as living a full and rich life besides each other.

I must admit to beeing lucky enough to have one of the most intelligent and more important Wise female human beeings by my side to help me when ever I am starting off with the wrong foot first and I learn from her every day! ( of course I hope that I might be able to contribute some in return but that is not really important)

I belive there might be a learning point for you and that is not to get to involved with men with to a fragile ego! ( probably pissing a few of here)

Ask question so that you can learn ,do not ask questions to be able to supply the awnsers !

Rgds

Kristian
Probably the smartest statement on this thread so far, in my opinion, ma'am, if I may have one... just this once... pleeeez

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 17:14   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
.............., I had a cordless drill in my hand and held it against his ass and pulled the trigger. He jumped and the other guy asked if I had touched him with my cock.

"No! But do you need to borrow my drill for your girl friend because I think maybe you are a little ............. well confused!"
Old 13-09-2011, 09:58   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: More Men-and-Women Issues

Let me come across this on a different tack....

One of the first mistakes that a woman can make (or a man in the opposite situation) is thinking that the actions/statements/attitudes of men are broken, wrong or somehow in error.

Men interact in the way that thousands if not millions of years of interactions have given success. With the successful living and breeding and the others dying. Part of that is adapting to the needs/demands of women so as to be successful mates.

Now we may think that we are all past that but that is far from he truth.

Look at it this way - highly aggressive, physically powerful male predators have worked out a system where they can get along and co-operate on tasks of all sizes. And setting up a pecking order without too many deaths.

This system works and is very successful - take that as a given.

Women of course have there own rules and ways of doing this to their ends. And both male and female do not instinctivly understand the others system.

In general sailing, boating, boat building, engine work and so on has been the province of males. Males have worked out a system that is not broken and works for them. As a female you are in a strange land and are seen as a stranger who does not know the rules. this of course leads to all kinds of behavior....as you know.

My advise? Just go do it your way with grace and a firm will. Accept those who can help and ignore those who hinder. Figure out how to get co-operation without thinking that males are screwed up.

When asking for help remember that men do not co-operate with each other the same way that women co-operate with each other. You get mixed signals.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 10:23   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

men arent "broken" they are entertaining. that peacock imitation they do is wonderful fun to watch. they do things from the point of view of a head without grey matter and wonder why......
and they seem to choose females who arent as smart or strong as they are because they dont like the competition....but that is another chapter in the watching males be males book.....LOL.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 10:30   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
men arent "broken" they are entertaining. that peacock imitation they do is wonderful fun to watch. they do things from the point of view of a head without grey matter and wonder why......
and they seem to choose females who arent as smart or strong as they are because they dont like the competition....but that is another chapter in the watching males be males book.....LOL.
Most fellas are ok with strong / smart / assertive women - it's the one's that cross over into PITA that not so keen on.

Not to say that anything wrong with a woman wanting to be a PITA - just can't expect fellas to find that an attractive trait, well not long term
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men