Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 14:32   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Men Taking Over from Women

Last night I heard all sorts of hollering and yelling in the marina so I came up. A boat was being brought in via Seatow, and a guy on the seawall seemed frantic, so I stepped up to help.

Seatow has brought in boats before. They were moving very slowly and carefully and did the job just right, but this guy on the seawall was hollering "I need a spotlight!"

Someone got a flashlight, and as he was at what would be the stern end, I stepped up to catch the bow line. The man who had decided he was charge of everything, including how Seatow brings a boat to a seawall, seemed to be a little tipsy.

All of a sudden he comes RUNNING across the wall shouting, "Out of my way ma'm -- I HAVE TO CATCH THAT LINE!" I don't know what he thought was going to happen if he, personally did not catch that line. Then he RACED down the wall to get the stern line. He tied the bow off badly and I gave it a little more slack.

That was when I realized how drunk he was. No lights near that seawall, and BIG cleats that are easy to trip over when you're sober. He's lucky he didn't land in the water wedged between that seawall and a sailboat being pushed by a Seatow vessel.

What is it with men who think they have to do everything and that a female living in a marina doesn't know how to catch a line???

The poor captain from Seatow was so frustrated with all the uproar. He looked at the guy and dryly said, "I've done this before." The drunk was muttering about his 24 years in the Coast Guard, but it didn't teach him how to stay calm in a NON-emergency.

Unbelievable.

That's just an extreme example of many instances I've seen where men feel a great need, around boats, to take over for women. I came back from vacation to find that the guy working on my boat had untied lines, moved lines, retied my boat (the marina people had to climb on during a storm and put it right when it was riding wildly from side to side in the slip after he "improved" it) and countless other things. I had left a 75' line tied to the mast in case a hurricane came in so they could spiderweb me. He didn't like it coiled on the cabin top and flaked it at the bottom of a cross-brace wire -- where it really blocked my view when I had to move the boat today.

There was nothing wrong with where *anything* was that got moved or "adjusted."

I know I can't change the world. I'm just venting.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 14:43   #2

re: Men Taking Over for Women.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Sorry, its a man's world baby.

Thank God we've got you women to keep us in line.
Old 09-09-2011, 15:02   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Why does it have to be a guy thing (the SEATOW captain was a guy too and he was being obnoxious to him as well wasn't he)? The guy was drunk. Can't it just be a drunk thing?

I had the same thing happen to me by the workers on my boat and I am a man. Maybe the workers just needed to retie the boat and instead of trying to remember how it was tied they just did it the way they thought was right. How do I explain it happening to me. Did they just think I was a women?

Maybe some of the things that annoy us about others aren't related to sex/gender at all and just related to them as individuals...... That could be a thought that might actually "change the world" if it took off.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:10   #4

Boat: private yacht always moving

It comes down to this, being a man myself,, (well most of the times),,we feel the need to sometimes take control of a situation when there is no need for it. It makes us feel important and needed. In reality most men are really just boys with bigger toys
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Men Taking Over for Women.

wouldn't reccomend the poster going to greece or cyprus,even i feel intimidated around that bunch trying to tie up a boat......why talk when you can shout to the person next to you??????????????
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:36   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Men Taking Over for Women

there are 2 kinds of males. men and pompous asses. the drunk was a p.a., the sea tow guy was a man.

there is a statement i made once about p . a. s and it wasnt nice, so i cannot post it. sorry boys. you do become so controlling. sometimes we do not need it. is alll goood-- just dont change my stuff.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:38   #7

At San Diego Sail Supply (and I'm sure other marine supply stores) men routinely call and ask, literally, to speak with a man. The girls who work there are very competent sailors and racers.

Just leaves more girls for me to talk to; let the dudes have fun in their sausage fest.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 16:00   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I don't think men have exclusive rights to behaving poorly. Watch Jersey Shore or any of the House Wife's series on TV. It's not a pretty picture when anyone is having a bad day. Most of the time it is best to just say out of their way.
Damiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 16:01   #9

i dont do tv--alla my experiences are real.
rebel heart--tell mrs babayaga hay from her old neighbor who sailed away.,also to david and steve. ty.
Old 09-09-2011, 16:17   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41

We were docking in Italy. My Nephew, who knew nothing of sailing at the beginning of the trip, was watching as my daughter tied off the dockline to the cleat. She's small but very strong and can beat my nephew in running races, swimming races, and arm wrestling was told to get away from the cleat by an Italian marina worker and for my nephew to take her place. We all had a laugh about it afterwards.

Yotboss taught me a very good lesson in docking. Don't let someone else handle the lines. You never know what they are going to do. It is hard to enforce but it works well

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 16:21   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41

Here is a good song on this vane:

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 16:32   #12

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Well I wish women would learn from it and treat us as idiots too.

Restitching split pants, thread everywhere, bleading fingers... do I get help? No damn way... just smirky grins and 'man up'.

Trying hard to be Jamie Oliver, stuffing up badly, do I get help? Sure, from Ms Gordon Ramsay... but only the "you f%#*ing idiot. We're all gonna F%#*ing die..." part.

Couple of good jybes while she's answering the call of nature

"Don't know where that one came from babe... honest!!" ROFL.

It's all a game and I wouldn't have it any other way... neither would she

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 16:32   #13

i always recheck mine before i turn my back on my boat.

vv, quitcher whining and add a cheese sammich to it. sheeesh.... males.
but guys really are kinda cute if ye dont take em seriously....
Old 09-09-2011, 16:36   #14

Boat: Pearson 385

Just as there are instant foods that only require water to bring back to it's true form, there are a$$ h01e$ that only require a bit of alcohol.
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 17:16   #15

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i always recheck mine before i turn my back on my boat.

vv, quitcher whining and add a cheese sammich to it. sheeesh.... males.
but guys really are kinda cute if ye dont take em seriously....
Zee... do you know Sandy??? Sounds like you went to the same Cute and Cuddly finishing school...
If we ever cross paths I'm gonna have to keep you at opposite ends of the boat if I want any chance of survival...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men