cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Men Taking Over for Women

who is sandy?
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:20   #17

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'

LMAO Zee @ the cheese sammich crack! You know how to keep 'em at attention girl! They love it too...don't let 'em fool ya!
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:26   #18

rofl....i survived raising a kid with adhd who couldnt learn in a classroom, and 30+ years of intensive area kind of nursing, and i am still on it.......todo es bien...ty bareftgrl
Old 09-09-2011, 18:34   #19

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'

Well now, does not surprise me one bit that you were ICU! Takes thick skin, I know...hubby and I are both med. field. I think that's why sailing is so appealing to us both...and I know you fully understand why!
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:34   #20

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

It is not a 'guy issue' - it is an 'individual's issue' - I have had guys second guess my abilities, and I have had guys give me votes of confidence when I have needed it the most...that particular guy just sounded like he was a drunk idiot which is not reserved for any one of the sexes...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:54   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Men Taking Over for Women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
Why does it have to be a guy thing (the SEATOW captain was a guy too and he was being obnoxious to him as well wasn't he)? The guy was drunk. Can't it just be a drunk thing?

I had the same thing happen to me by the workers on my boat and I am a man. Maybe the workers just needed to retie the boat and instead of trying to remember how it was tied they just did it the way they thought was right. How do I explain it happening to me. Did they just think I was a women?

Maybe some of the things that annoy us about others aren't related to sex/gender at all and just related to them as individuals...... That could be a thought that might actually "change the world" if it took off.

Jim
Oh it's a guy thing. You'd know if you were a woman and saw it happen 95% of the time by a guy. You have misunderstood what my friend (I really do like him as a person) did: he retied the boat just to retie the boat. There was no need to, and he did it badly, and left my boat in danger during a bad storm. The marina manager (a woman, by the way) had to climb onto my boat and retie it.

I wish it WAS about individuals, but this is something that often happens to women. Probably you would not do it, but I bet you have friends who would.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 19:04   #22

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Gotta Love It
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 19:20   #23

Boat: cabo rico 38

my sympathies.

We were new in a marina in annapolis.
i had a group of 5 enlightened males confront me on the dock.
They told me they did not appreciate me risking their boats by letting my
wife bring the boat into the dock and i should put a stop to it and take the helm.

After resisting the urge to push them in the water, I laughed and explained,
"my wife has been cruising since she was 6. She has more experience than all of
you combined. I just started sailing LAST YEAR. She is teaching me. That's why
she is at the helm, so I don't risk your boats in tight spaces till I have more experience".

They shut up after she nailed the landing in a crosswind
without touching even a piling while these guys were wound around each others pulpits. Perhaps it was the sudden drop in testosterone level that left them
unable to speak.

"god gave man two heads but only enough blood to run one at a time" - robyn williams
gello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 19:23   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Maybe I've just been lucky but my wives, partners and female crew have all been able to pick up basic boating tasks quickly and efficiently. Some guys I've sailed with have to be shown again and again the right way to handle lines, tie off a cleat or shut down an engine while women get it right after you show them how just once. Not sure whether it is an attention thing or men think they know it all but from my experience there is clearly a difference in cognitive abilities... maybe it's just me who can't communicate with guys! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 19:40   #25

it is peacocks and insecurity.
Old 09-09-2011, 19:52   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
it is peacocks and insecurity.
Zeehag nailed it!
Old 09-09-2011, 19:54   #27

have watched this dance a very loong time....is entertaining, but.....
Old 09-09-2011, 20:02   #28

Re: Men Taking Over for Women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Oh it's a guy thing. You'd know if you were a woman and saw it happen 95% of the time by a guy. You have misunderstood what my friend (I really do like him as a person) did: he retied the boat just to retie the boat. There was no need to, and he did it badly, and left my boat in danger during a bad storm. The marina manager (a woman, by the way) had to climb onto my boat and retie it.

I wish it WAS about individuals, but this is something that often happens to women. Probably you would not do it, but I bet you have friends who would.
I have worked hard to not have a chip on my shoulder about this...I have a funny story about a coach of mine in college screaming 'get a man on that winch' when I couldn't seem to raise a halyard on the 50 footer I was racing on...the winch just wasn't working...I had sailed many hours with this individual...between brute strength and adrenaline I stripped every gear in that winch because it needed grease and wasn't working internally but I gave it my all...I am wearing that story out.

I got to see that 'individual' after twenty years last month and I fondly remembered that day...and he taught me a lot. He is an excellent sailor...but man, he pissed me off that day...my crew members just laughed at the dock that day when we took the winch apart and the internal parts crumbled into dust when we opened it...

Last month, I also got to sail with one of my crew members from my college era who urged me to back the racing boat we were taking out - out of the slip - I had never steered it - and while it was small I was still a bit intimidated...he said come on you can do it...

So I try never to generalize...for those men who have generalized that women cannot be commanding on the sea...well they are just one woman away from being proven wrong...

Now that I am 41 years old I have turned into a nambie pambie and have to brush up on my skills to feel confident again, but I can tell you that in addition to just wanting to be proficient and safe on the water, one of my priorities is converting as many male naysayers who have generalized that all women are not sea worthy....
Old 09-09-2011, 21:27   #29

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
who is sandy?
My other 1/3.
Also known as Sandra, wicked witch of the north, princess, heartless wench, 'just a little lower' babe... etc etc

I know you think I only deserve to be single... but she hasn't worked that out and I'm sure not goin' to tell her

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 21:29   #30

Being a newbie and a day-sailor (so far), my better half has kept us out of all sorts of trouble while I was at the helm.
br3nt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men