Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 11:41   #31

Re: Men at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
Which give the impression that the things your woman wants are not as valuable as the things the guy wants, as well as that you have never heard of something called a condom.
Well, what's more important: a new hair dryer and air conditioning or a new bimini and a new prop?
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Well I try not to be bitter, and I'm sure there are hundreds of women that enjoy boating, (in whatever form), and don't mind the occasional hardships of being out of credit card range of the mall.

But for everyone of those there are 20 or more that say that enjoy boating, and even put up with a couple of boating dates, and then as soon as the ink is dry on the wedding certificate say, "NEVER AGAIN". And refuse ever to put a foot on the boat, and start an unending nag campaign to get rid of it.
I have two different friends where this exact thing has happened.

Yet, I took my soon-to-be wife sailing and cruising (week) before I asked her to marry me. After we were married she said she really didn't like it, but it was fine for me to keep sailing. She often told me to take a week or two with my buds and go sailing while she stayed home and gardened. Worked out fine as I hate gardening.
Old 26-05-2011, 13:39   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Good point...
Maybe instead I should be wondering what's wrong with the members of my own gender who can spend $50 on a manicure and $100 on a haircut, instead of banking for a boat trip to Fiji! Suspect they don't know what they're missing - More sand for me
Now you have your thinking cap on.It just deoends on what a persons priorities are.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:14   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Well I try not to be bitter, and I'm sure there are hundreds of women that enjoy boating, (in whatever form), and don't mind the occasional hardships of being out of credit card range of the mall.

But for everyone of those there are 20 or more that say that enjoy boating, and even put up with a couple of boating dates, and then as soon as the ink is dry on the wedding certificate say, "NEVER AGAIN". And refuse ever to put a foot on the boat, and start an unending nag campaign to get rid of it.
rofl--- i HATE malls. they give me headaches and have retail prices. NEVER pay retail.
i OWN a ketch, so there is NO WAY i would say dont take me on board again..LOL.....
stereotypes DO sukk and are not accurate in describing anyone
ROFL
stereotypes have even gotten to be no fun to read, either. have fun and smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:31   #35

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I suppose I could blame my wife for getting pregnant and say that it's her fault that we're already gone. That would be BS. If it weren't for her complimenting my bad in good ways I probably wouldn't have it together enough at all to pull this off. Most of the things I hate doing she either loves or doesn't mind and vice-versa. We're a team. I've sailed a lot in small boats but I have no open ocean experience. She hasn't sailed much but she has tons of heavy weather experience and loves it. She rescued Navy Seals when they flipped their boat in the Morro Bay harbor entrance when she was in the USCG. No other guys can say that their wife pulled navy seals out of the water when THEY couldn't handle the conditions. 30-35 foot breakers across the entrance. The waves made the Coast Guard's 30 footer look small.
A lot of men hate women but a lot of women hate men too. There are just a lot of men around here and mostly independent types.
A lot of people make very poor decisions when choosing a mate and end up bitter.
Folks should put at least as much thought into choosing a mate as they do buying a new car.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
A lot of men hate women
I don't think there are many men who actually hate women. Just some who don't want to handle the different mindset and requirements that come with different plumbing.

Quote:
Folks should put at least as much thought into choosing a mate as they do buying a new car.
I would hope it's a LOT more than that. Only takes me a few hours to decide what car to buy. Only took me ten days to decide what boat to buy.
Old 27-05-2011, 08:45   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
So, maybe I'm just having a low day and am imagining things. But maybe not. I have noticed on a lot of the discussions around here, a disturbing trend among SOME (NOT ALL - please don't misunderstand!) of the male posters. Evidently, there are a lot of men out there who have a deep resentment or bitterness, bordering on hatred almost, of women. Frequent references to how expensive we are (in comparison to how affordable life is for a guy alone) and how much trouble we cause aboard. From many posts there seems to be the general tenor "Men are sailors who know what is important in this life; women are expensive troublesome pests that we have to put up with if we want to get laid ever again." And the kids invariable get lumped in with us as though the men had nothing to do with creating them and couldn't possibly have wanted them - as though there is some great female plan to permanently aground all the men by tricking them into getting us pregnant!
This is FAR from all the guys out there, I know, but it shows up enough to worry me -- is this really how a noticeable chunk of the cruising community views women? And if so, do they act like that in real life too?
Or is it just internet bluster/joke gone wrong?
This is probably like throwing water on a grease fire here ... but still hoping someone will say something that makes me feel reassured about the people out there.
I have seen some of what you describe although I think there is much less than what you describe.

I do see the fun rivalry between men and women in this forum, which more often than not is intended as good natured humor and not intended to hurt anyone. It also works both ways where I have seen women joking around about men....which is fine.

I don't get bent out of shape when my sex gets attacked whether it is mean or intended as humor. But that's just my thick skin and I can understand others who are more sensitive and might get upset.

Moderator note:
The moderating team will put the brakes on any sex who attacks the opposite sex for the sake of being mean or in any sort of mean spirited or hurtful way. This is part of our Be Nice rule.

There is some gray area in how we apply humor to the opposite sex, so let's just use some common sense so that we do not hurt others.

The Rules...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:47   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
A lot of men hate women .....
No REAL man hates women!!!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:56   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i loooove real women,once they are properly trained for boat life,they listen,unlike blokes...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:03   #40

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

As has been alluded to by other posters, "single-handers" are a strange but wonderful group of sailors. Be they male or female, they tend to be "complete" in themselves and unfortunately also rather obstinate in their ideas of sharing or accommodating a partner.
- - I know quite of few female single-handers who would not want a male partner on their vessel except for brief recreational purposes.
- - Long term cruising as a couple involves an extraordinary level of companionship and mutual respect for the talents and abilities of each partner. If you spend any significant time with long term cruising couples you will notice how they are uniquely "different" from all the other couples you meet on land or charter boats.
- - However, gender roles have been evolving for the whole 4.5 billion years we humans have been on the planet. It is rather difficult to radically change both that and the TV/magazine/movie stereo-types most young males and females are bombarded with these days in the "developed" western countries.
- - Finding a "partner" for long term cruising becomes very difficult just like finding that "best weather window." Still, it can be done with a lot of work and luck and more importantly with a significant change in the "degree of accommodation" ability of the single-hander.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:53   #41

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Just remember guys, for every rule there is an exception to it.
We arnt all the same. Yeah I dispair of some men at times but I dispair even more of the majority of women who realy are just airhead bimbos, but thats their choice or nature.

If they arnt your type or they are holding you back, avoid and move on. Find one who is fun to be with.
Old 27-05-2011, 10:02   #42

rules are of same ilk as stereotypes..LOL
Old 27-05-2011, 10:53   #43

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Pillum....very nice. I love the original, but the parody is pretty good too.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:21   #44

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Just remember guys, for every rule there is an exception to it.
We arnt all the same. Yeah I dispair of some men at times but I dispair even more of the majority of women who realy are just airhead bimbos, but thats their choice or nature.

If they arnt your type or they are holding you back, avoid and move on. Find one who is fun to be with.
Well put!
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:27   #45

waterfolk need other waterfolk. they cannot "settle" for someone who is a mallhead. goood luck and smooth sailing.

Tags
men