Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2009, 17:46   #16

Boat: CT54
We will be heading out with our 18 yo daughter with the HAHA in about a month.
Although she has not always been excited about going she has come full circle and is now looking forward to the adventure. No doubt she will miss her "electronic life" but will make up for it in getting to do something none of her piers have the opportunity to do. I try not to promise her that it will be perfect once we get out there as I do not believe that will be the case but I try to stress the point that she has a great opportunity to learn about herself and others. Also I stress that in reality it is a short amount of time in her life (something teenagers seem to forget).
She has taken up playing the guitar, reading and writing this summer while waiting to leave. She gave up her cell phone (texting) about a month ago so we are trying to wean her slowly onto the cruising lifestyle and away from the electronic rat race of everyday life that she has become accustomed to.
Best,
Jackie

Old 25-09-2009, 19:58   #17

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' - CALYPSO
We'll be in the Bahamas, starting in the Abacos starting in late November/early December, with our 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter. 28' Bristol Channel Cutter with 2 kayaks on either side of the bow . . .

Calypso Sails Again!

Old 25-09-2009, 22:33   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
For the older kids, doing daily blog entires could be a good way to keep in contact with their soon to be "lost technology" while out cruising. We post almost daily updates to our blog and with SSB email, it's a snap. But with the older ones, be ready for a little resistance about 6 mounts out....you can get through it...but an unhappy teen can make your cruise...well....you know.

Rich
S/V THIRD DAY
Currently at Puerto Penasco, Sea of Cortez
Blog:Cruising thoughts on Puerto Penasco | SV THIRD DAY
Old 26-09-2009, 00:12   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic33z View Post
Hi Simonne & crew! My family will be heading off before christmas 2010. We will be sailing the east coast of Australia with my 3 teenage daughters, twins will be 17 yrs and youngest 15 yrs. My partner and I are also not experienced sailors, so it should be fun! We are currently building a Schionning Wilderness 1100 catamaran in our backyard in suburbia, which has also been interesting, challenging and at times fun. We would love to keep in contact with you & see how you are travelling. Maybe when we get on the water, we could meet up.
Vicki & crew
Sorry about being OT but if your boat is to be call "Kissa" I suggest that you avoid Swedes and Sweden unless you have a sense of humour

"kissa" is Swedish for "pee"
Old 27-09-2009, 10:57   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
loneley child.........

We are about the buy our cruising boat to go with our 14 yrs old son
He is not quite sure/ nor are we / as he feels it is loneley out there with us 2 old farts around him all the time.........we intend to go to the Carib and buy our dream boat there.

*second question = are / is there not a good cruise organized where many boats with children join and sail in similar direction so the kids can meet from time to time?

Eric
Old 19-10-2009, 04:12   #21

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47 - Ohana
Have you checked out the Toast Floats Blog? My family and I leave to go cruising in Mexico on the Ha-Ha on the 26th. We will spend the entire season in Mexico with a 6 year old boy and 4 year old daughter. I read Toast Floats and have found it very entertaining. They are cruising on a 38 foot cat with 3 daughters. Check it out!
Old 21-10-2009, 17:46   #22

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1100-"Kissa"
Ahoy Neurotica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotica View Post
So wonderful to hear from you!
It sounds like you are making quite a statement for yourselves as a family unit back in Suburbia! Good for you all!
Known to never turn down an adventure, I also am embarking on this sailing voyage as a self-proclaimed land-lubber.....Curiosity should keep us heading to new lands ( key word: "land" bear in mind !) The turtle shell scenario with the boat will be our facilitator for various factors. Overall, I am anticipating that it will challenge the lot of us and make us more complete as successful human beings.
All the best to you and your crew!
Lets try to keep tabs once and a while to see how things be!
Cheers!
Simonne and her somewhat mutinuous crew
Hi Simonne,
Just thought I'd drop you a line and check your departure. Are you on schedule for December? I hope your "somewhat mutinous crew" are happier. Our plans are still the same, although my partner who is doing the majority of the building, is not sure we'll make our deadline! There seems so much still to do!!
Have you been following Jessica Watson's adventure? We met her at the Sydney Boat Show this year and thought how level-headed she seemed, compared to my hormonal teenagers, the youngest one's biggest problem is "where is the hair straightener?" lol.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Vicki and crew
Old 21-10-2009, 17:51   #23

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1100-"Kissa"
Hey Hoppy,
Your reply made me laugh out loud! "Kissa" in Finnish means cat, so that's
why we chose that name. My partners family is Finnish and we were looking
for a name connected with that in mind. Now you've made us think! We'll see
how we go, we might keep in as we do have a good sense of humour.
Thanks
Vicki and crew
Old 22-10-2009, 00:24   #24

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic33z View Post
Hey Hoppy,
Your reply made me laugh out loud! "Kissa" in Finnish means cat, so that's
why we chose that name. My partners family is Finnish and we were looking
for a name connected with that in mind. Now you've made us think! We'll see
how we go, we might keep in as we do have a good sense of humour.
Thanks
Vicki and crew
In Swedish pussy is "kisse" and like the English word it too can be used for more than just cats

Chances are any Swedes you might meet will be too polite to make fun of it, unless you get them real drunk

A few months back I could not stop laughing at work when my colleague mentioned that her brothers name was Jerker

Tags
kids

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: