Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-10-2015, 10:15   #16

Re: Long haired dogs and warm climates

One dog owner on the ICW passed along the tip that she uses for her dog. Purchase an spf 50 type fisherman's shirt and cut the sleeves short. Her dog was black and she claimed that under the shirt was cool compared to the no shirt exposed area.

Old 24-10-2015, 10:33   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

b-
"So to say, when we think about the heat trying to leave the body, the less fur the better. (?)"
The thing is, the heat does not and will not leave their body magically through their skin. Think of a human being, standing outside in 50F weather. Chilly, but able to stay out that way for a while. Now make it 50F water...and you'll die of hypothermia.
The bare skin is just air contact, it makes no real difference. If the dog can PANT, they are taking in the moist air, heating it, and discharging heat in the moist breath when they exhale. That's part of the way their entire snout is designed, as a temperature regulating device. Dogs are built differently from humans.
Or all the conventional logic could be wrong.
I also lived with a Newfoundland. Never shaved her in the summer, she'd have never allowed it. She'd just find the coolest spot, and pant as needed. Just mind the inevitable slobber, more panting=more slobber on a Newf.

Cherise-
This is probably a long kludge, but you might consider one of the $150-ish portable icemakers that run on AC, plus an inverter. They don't make a lot, but it would seem like they make enough to keep a "cooling bed" filled with icy cold water if you kept moving the fresh ice in. (The reported reliability of the more expensive units seems better, fwiw.)

Old 24-10-2015, 10:57   #18

Shaving a dog DOES make the dog more comfortable. Insulation works both ways. Long thick fur keeps heat in and makes the dog miserable. I have had Chow-Chows on board for the last 17 years, and the first time I shaved a dog I could not believe the difference in activity level. Leave enough hair to protect from the sun and the result is one much happier dog.
Old 24-10-2015, 11:07   #19

Hellosailor, a dogs body will radiate heat better with short hair...it has nothing to do with their ability to "pant' or perspire. Long heavy hair/fur will retain body heat with little capacity to dissipate it. The only downside to shaving a hot miserable dog is cutting the hair too short and exposing the dogs skin to sunburn.
Old 24-10-2015, 11:07   #20

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Hamburking, great idea about the fan, it makes a lot of sense. And too funny about the name. My gal is also primarily black and so juat a few minutes in the sun ans she's upset. We use her white pfd even on walks at times to deflect. Id like to buy a deflecting coat next yr.

By mistakr the groomer shaved her top coat down to 1.5", too short fpr insulation imho. But she turned into a puppy - loves it, like other posters claim. And yes, much, much less hair tumbleweed on board. It really helped for cruising the delta, shorter hair.

Ice maker is on the list. The cold plates compressor died, we have actually been doing ice for a month or so. We have considered just buying an ice maker and forgetting the $400 part. I wanna start making ice cream on board, great for ice water/cocktails and she loves her cubes, to chew on.

Anyone have experience with an ice maker that they like?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-10-2015, 11:34   #21

Our dog has hair, not fur, I don't know if that makes any difference, but she absolutely LOVES being shaved in the summer. She has much more energy, is more comfortable, and although she hates the process, she really enjoys the results. I do like the suggestion about an SPF shirt cut to fit, especially if the fur /hair is cut too short.
Old 28-10-2015, 00:18   #22

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into buying the heat deflecting silver coat/harness and going with a puppy cut. Plus, keeping ice cubes handy, one way or another.

Old 28-10-2015, 03:41   #23

My ex is a vet, she went back to school did a Phd, her topic was canine skin cancer.
In short I would never shave a dog.
She didn't find a cure but developed a new line of cells being grown in a lab that are being used for human research.
Smart woman, to bad she hates sailing (boating in general) and had to go!
Not going to pretend I understand or know everything in her paper. But dogs don't tan and have no natural protection to uva/uvb.
Old 28-10-2015, 10:13   #24

Hi , bummer abouy her not into boating. How about not shaving but a short trim? It makes total sense that shaving with skin exposure would cause cancer. But if its thick enough to block the sum but short enough for the reasons people have mentioned. Do you know her def. of shaving?

Old 28-10-2015, 10:37   #25

That I honestly don't know.
I own huskies in southern Ontario, we get heat and humidity in the summer you wouldn't believe. Never shaved one and not too many breeds have a coat like a husky.
The fur works both ways, keeps heat from reaching the dog and holds heat in during the winter. The layer of trapped air works wonders.
I used to live in Texas, summers in southern Ontario are worse! Thought I was going to die my first summer here.
Old 17-12-2015, 20:16   #26

Thanks again. Yep, i know the whole double coat, insulating thing. I suppose instead of using the word shave, one should ask how much can they trim down? I think leaving 1.5"s is okay.
Really? You find the summers worse im so ontario than Texas?! What is so different? I must admit, dry California has its pros.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-12-2015, 21:34   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
We have had Newfoundlands for years. VERY long and dense hair. One year, our groomer misunderstood us, and shaved a very proud male dog. He was embarrassed, we were mortified. Until we realized just how much easier this made both our and Oscar's life. Combing out the hair after swimming was always a pain for both us and the dog. Shaved, no issue. Ever since, we always had our dogs shaved in hot weather. I understand the idea of insulation, but there is also the factor of radiation. Our dogs seemed very comfortable.
As we lived on a river at the time, we shaved our Shi Tzu to about 1/4" to 1/2" because he wanted to go wading to get out of the heat. The same thing happened the first time we shaved him. We laughed and he was ashamed, but we quickly realized our mistake and praised him and gave some treats.
Thankfully he forgave us.

The next year, we shaved him for summer and we heaped praise on him during and after the shave and he was a happy guy.
Old 18-12-2015, 22:09   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cherise,

I met my first Samoyed that had a butch cut a couple of years back, near Sydney. On that dog, both undercoat and guard coat were the same length, about 1.5 inches. The owner reported what you've already been reading here, that the dog behaved more energetically with short hair. Not shaved, at all, beautiful, thick snowy plush.

Ann
Old 18-12-2015, 22:46   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a black lab. I avoid hot places, but summer in BC or SW Alaska sometimes has hot days. When running, I leave a sprinkler going on deck. She either walks thru or lays in the stream. When anchored I lower the boarding ladder (stairway) so she can swim and get out on her own. If close to shore, she will swim and explore on her own. I anchor in remote places and so have no trouble with other pets. She knows about bears.
Old 19-12-2015, 08:42   #30
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Why does this line keep going through my head...
"You just leave this long-haired, country dog alone..."

Tags
dogs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: