Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2009, 14:22   #61

Bowser

There is nothing that makes my boat a home more than my dog. He wasn't thrilled at first, but now he loves to lay on the deck at sunset and watch the ducks and gulls. You can see him in this vimeo , 52 foot midlife on Vimeo.
sloshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 06:27   #62

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
Your Video says it all. Loved it.
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 08:22   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Great video! What a fine editing job and the soundtrack can't be beat. I especially loved the line, "If you've got a yacht that big, you must belong in a federal penitentiary."

Thanks for sharing.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 17:30   #64
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
oh man... now THAT'S what 'm talkin about!!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:35   #65

Schipperkes on board

Bev and Bill,

Good luck in your dog search.

If you have a Schip on your list, be aware that they shed a lot. We love our Holly, but find massive amounts of dog hair EVERYWHERE, even in areas she does not go or have access too. You should see how it piles up in the cockpit, and the scuppers!!

Great boat dog, it's what she was bred for, but, OMG, the dog hair.

Did I mention they shed a lot?

Toni
sparklegirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:00   #66

Boat: 440 Lagoon
SLOSH- GREAT Video, have to show the wife that one.

As for pets, we recently made a purchase and kept the boat plans in mind. We went with a Boston Terrier, they stay small, do not shed much, and do not need all the space. Female, should not get more than 12-15 LBS and have been training her to use a litter box, (no yards in Japan) she picked it right up. We bought the self cleaning one which makes it easy. Hope to transition her from litter box to astro turf, but think we will leave her both options for those bad weather days. To go from pads to litter box took about a week.
I did try to put a small piece of carpet under it to keep her from tracking it all over the floor, but that really confused her and she started useing the carpet so pulled that till a later date, maybe couple of months.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:07   #67

Boat: Whitby 42
We live aboard and had two dogs a German Shepherd, and a lab shepherd mix. The shepherd passed away a few months and was a wonderful dog but was not raised on the boat and had a hard time adjusting. Our lab shepherd mix was a pound dog and we have raised her for the most part on the boat. She is a wonderful boat dog that will use the deck as a restroom and does not mind being offshore. We started with pads on the deck but soon gave up on the mess these became, shortly after she found her "spot" on the aft deck that is easy to bucket off. We leave a pad below just in case. The german shepherd tended to get seasick so we dosed him with dramamine getting doseage from his vet. Im not really sure what we would do for entertainment without her!! Good luck
42AFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 10:26   #68
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
this is a big thread .. but were there any norfolk terriers on board out there? how are they around water?
Old 17-11-2009, 11:34   #69

Astroturf

Vertigo,

We have had success with astroturf with our Schip. We started her on it when she was 6 mos. old, so she is comfortable with it. The thing is not to give in to the dog's desire to go to shore. Once you do that, the dog has won.

Holly knows, when we anchor out, that she must go potty on her grass, or she does not get to go to the beach, swim, or dinghy ride until she does. She also will pee in her spot when we are in the slip, if you're not paying attention to her. Not such a bad thing, but now, she has taken to peeing on the hatch covers, which is a BIG NO NO!!
Old 20-11-2009, 19:47   #70
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
As for pets, we recently made a purchase and kept the boat plans in mind. We went with a Boston Terrier, they stay small, do not shed much, and do not need all the space.
Although Bostons appear not to shed all that much at home (at least if you don't have white floors!), we find tiny black hairs everywhere on our boat. Our little 12v vacuum gets a lot of use!

Still, our Boston is a wonderful boat dog since we started taking her sailing as a puppy, and we wouldn't trade her for anything. It's just that black-haired dogs on boats with white cockpits and soles don't necessarily make for a low-maintenance experience! Thank heavens we don't have white cushions!
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 00:49   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl50 View Post
Vertigo,

We have had success with astroturf with our Schip. We started her on it when she was 6 mos. old, so she is comfortable with it. The thing is not to give in to the dog's desire to go to shore. Once you do that, the dog has won.
Thanks,
We recently gave up on the litter box, a pretty big mess. And even with the cleaning it still gave off a bit of smell that I do not think I would want on a boat. We are changeing to the Astro turf now as well.
Old 21-11-2009, 00:55   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Although Bostons appear not to shed all that much at home (at least if you don't have white floors!), we find tiny black hairs everywhere on our boat. Our little 12v vacuum gets a lot of use!

Still, our Boston is a wonderful boat dog since we started taking her sailing as a puppy, and we wouldn't trade her for anything. It's just that black-haired dogs on boats with white cockpits and soles don't necessarily make for a low-maintenance experience! Thank heavens we don't have white cushions!

Hope it will not be too bad, we have the Dyson at home and it does a great job. I recently saw a very small version of the dyson that I would think might be great on a boat. (110v) I will still keep a 12v for the fast clean ups. I like the Boston's size and energy. Think they really adapt well to the boat life.
Old 21-11-2009, 12:07   #73

Astro turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
Thanks,
We recently gave up on the litter box, a pretty big mess. And even with the cleaning it still gave off a bit of smell that I do not think I would want on a boat. We are changeing to the Astro turf now as well.

Good luck, be consistent, and DO NOT give in to her!!
Old 22-11-2009, 02:22   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloshum View Post
There is nothing that makes my boat a home more than my dog. He wasn't thrilled at first, but now he loves to lay on the deck at sunset and watch the ducks and gulls. You can see him in this vimeo , 52 foot midlife on Vimeo.
That's SO AWESOME!
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 03:52   #75

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
I would not write except for negative comments about Poodles and lap dogs. We have a very rowdy miniature poodle who is fearless and loves to swim. Smart, does not smell or shed.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, liveaboard