Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2005, 08:45   #1

Boat: Tayana 42 Vancouver - El Shaddai
Liveaboard Dogs

We have been considering the pros and cons of getting a dog to live aboard. Our choice would be a standard poodle. Besides being "man's best friend" we thought it would be a good way to guard the boat. Any comments on quarantine issues, standard poodle choice, hassles, hindrances and benefits?
Bev & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2005, 21:00   #2
Kai Nui

I agree with the poodle as a poor choice, but then again, I do not like poodles. There are allot of very good breeds for boats. Skipper keys come to mind. There is a Chihuaua mix that is common in this area, that is a great boat dog, and, does not have the disposition that most Chihuauas have. I have chosen not to take a pet when I go, as a number of people I know have suffered great inconvenience in South America because of pet restrictions.
Old 30-12-2005, 04:56   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
your dislike of poodles may be cause you are not familiar with a full size real poodle (not one of these lap warmers).

I will admit that even the full size one would not be my choice (prefer labrador cause of the two shakes of the dog and fur is dry, and I dont like the smell of wet dog). But they do make a nice proper pet.

Taking the dog across channel is not feasible in UK due to the quarantine laws.
Old 30-12-2005, 06:10   #4

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
We are moving aboard in the spring with our Giant Schnauzer. Std poodle would also not be my first choice for a boat dog, BTW neither would a Giant Schnauzer. I would look to smaller dogs. If you want a 'bigger' dog look at Portuguese Water Dogs. Ideal boat dog.

The real consideration is where are you and where are you cruising to. We are limiting our cruising for a year or so [till the dog passes] to the US and Bahamas as it's pretty easy to move dog in and out. As you go farther afield it does get harder with shots, quarantines etc. Check out Jimmy Cornell's book it has all the check in and out stuff.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 22:50   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
I agree with Jon on the Porutguese Waterdog - looks like a regular poodle. These dogs don't shed, however, they need a lot of exercise and a boat might be too small of an area for them. If you would consider one, I would look at a female; smaller in size and weight

Jan
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:53   #6

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Having had a standard Poodle,

my choice for a pet would be:
http://www.us-mattress.com/sheep-for-the-cure.html
Poodles do not make a good watch dog. They are too friendly.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 21:36   #7

Boat: Tayana 42 Vancouver - El Shaddai
Portugese Water Dog

Thanks for the advice and all the responses. We have checked out the breed and are quite excited about it. Definitely looks like a great boat dog.
Bev & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:51   #8

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Quote:
Jon D once whispered in the wind:
We are moving aboard in the spring with our Giant Schnauzer.
Jon,

What's the access between cockpit and cabin like on your boat, and how does your big dog handle it?

Our boat has a high bridgedeck, and a traditional companionway ladder. We're wondering how our 140+ pound 6-foot long Newf/Golden mix is going to be able to join us down below. Its hard to imagine him climbing a ladder, much less descending one!

Thanks,
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 20:45   #9

Most dogs can climb a ladder very easily as for going down that could even be easiler yet. One step for man, one leap for dogkind Just don't be under the ladder when the dog tries it the first time!

And I agree with the cat vote! Make it a Munchkin! They are lovable, very short legged for walking around the deck and soft to cuddle up with on a cold fall night...

jimini®
jimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:13   #10

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I wrote a long summary of cruising with a dog. See it on my web site at http://www.stateham.com/sunspotbaby/A_Serious_Look.htm

Good Luck
Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 16:20   #11

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Quote:
Catamount once whispered in the wind:
Jon,

What's the access between cockpit and cabin like on your boat, and how does your big dog handle it?

Our boat has a high bridge deck, and a traditional companionway ladder. We're wondering how our 140+ pound 6-foot long Newf/Golden mix is going to be able to join us down below. Its hard to imagine him climbing a ladder, much less descending one!

Thanks,
The Moody is a center cockpit and also has a fairly high bridge deck and a really really steep ladder.

Pic in normal position

We modified the ladder so it has an alternate or 'doggie' position which puts it at more of an incline maybe 30 degrees or so. Imagine the ladder with the base up against the bulkhead you see on the galley side and the top lowered about 6" below where it is now.

The dog is able to go down it alone but is more comfortable if we guide her using the handle on her life jacket. Going up she does on her own.

If your dog can jump that will be a help. Ours has no hip strength and refuses to jump -- don't know why.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 07:15   #12

Hi

I'm new to this forum, so a bit late on the response....
Anyway, we live aboard with a miniature schnauzer who I feel are a perfect breed for on board life (well as perfect as any dog can be). They don't shed hair, are relatively compact, are vocal guard dogs if someone gets on the boat, and are very cuddly
The only problem with our dog really is that he is not particuarly agile (many miniature schauzers are, but not ours), but he is small enough to lift so its not too problematical.

We are currently living aboard in the UK (whilst still working) and are setting off on our travels next Spring (2007) Moby (the dog) already has his pet passport and we are planning on limiting the cruising area to Europe, med, USA & Carribbean.

Cheers
Lucky Jack
lucky jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 11:44   #13

A repeating post!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 16:01   #14

We have a pair of West Highland Terriers. They like the boat. They are small and have to be placed in the cockpit from below or carried down from the cockpit.

They are pretty smart and always find the best spot to hang out... when heeled they go under the dodger and wedge themselves to leeward.

They love the dink and also are barky and make good watch dogs. Being small they are easy to deal with on the boat.. and getting them into the dink for a walk ashore is no problem... except a bit of shedding.

They can swim but they don't seem to like doing it. But all in all this is a good breed if you want to sail with a dog.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 17:19   #15

Boat: Pearson 28 Providence
I was wondering about the grooming of the dogs when cruising especially for a standard poodle, I have a Shar Pei all she needs is a bath and nails cut, so we could always do that ourselves if we need to.
Wendy V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, liveaboard