Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 18:41   #121

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Please read this article:
ActiveCaptain - Dogs on Boats - Canine Crew

There's more to it than just putting down astroturf to guarantee success. We've had more than 50 people write to us to tell us that the technique worked for their dogs. It is especially effective with puppies.
astroturff real sod now you have these treys with fake grass like astroturf I tried one with my puppy they are verry messy Jenny will hold it till I get her ashore she don't like going on the bow or no part of her home but sometimes she has to and folds her ears back,and the look on her face is like I'm being bad God bless her a lot of dogs are smarter than some people I know
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:02   #122

unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas63 View Post
I have a 6 month old Boykin Spaniel. They are a great unknown breed, and he's been great on the boat. They top out at about 40 pounds for a male. They are great swimmers, great cuddly family dogs. At 40 pounds they think they are a lap dog. It makes sitting on the floor to work on something hard because they will want to crawl into your lap. They are fairly spart dogs, and are very eagar to please - often praise is enough to teach them, and a raised voice enough to scold them. They are high energy dogs, but mine seems to know he can't be on the boat and he happily settles down, even if he has not had much run around time during the day.

They can make great watchdogs, barking at strangers. Mine has started with extreme reservation as to whom he barks at. Over the weekend he was sleeping with my daughter, I got up at 3-4AM to quite a noisy mainsheet traveler. As soon as I opened the hatch he started barking. This was a suprise because he has been so careful about what he barks at.
they are from South Carolina hunting dogs where the breed started
Old 25-10-2010, 19:05   #123

dogfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
If there is a dogfight I will put my $'s on a standard poodle over a lab any day and give odds. Airdale, different story. Give the Poodle a 30lb advantage and the Poodle will still lose.
My qualifcations are 30 years as a telephone man IE: jumping in fenced back yards with dogs of all stripe. Most unpredictable dogs are the stupid ones, think Dalmations. They will wag their tale the attack you. I had to put one of those out for the count once. I guess he lived, I did not stay around to see. It was a matter of surrival...Mine.

I currently have a 15 lb minature poodle. Her best friend is an austrilan sheppard at about 40 lbs. The poodle holds her own with the much bigger dog...always.
I'll put my $ on Jenny LYNN
Old 26-10-2010, 00:23   #124

German Shepards and water

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotewrw View Post
My last dog was a German Shepherd. In most respects a wonderful animal: sociable, courageous, VERY smart. However, she was a total wimp around water, even small streams.

Anyone have experience with German Shepherds that were good water/boat dogs?

To the cat haters out there: never say "never". I recently involuntarily "inherited" an old, fat male tabby. I must say he has one of the most entertaining personalilties I've ever known in an animal. He's completely changed my attitude about cats.
My German Shepard loves the water Dog's are like people some like boats and water some don't. Mine is fearless she's crazy about the water I can say Girl you want'a go for a boat ride? she looks at me and I tell load up.Six steps up to the cockpit is one leap for her then she jumps in the dinghy looking at me come on lets go!To me it's like kids when you're raised on the water you feel at home.
Old 26-10-2010, 02:46   #125

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Putting the boat on the hard this winter. Reckon I'll have to use a cage and block and tackle as an elevator for my 80# Pit. That should be fun.
Old 28-10-2010, 17:17   #126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: DeFever 53 RPH, aCappella
I would no sooner leave shore without my dogs than I would without my right arm. We have two Labs, male 3yrs, and female 12yrs - grandma and grandson. Their life onboard is pretty good - swimming, meeting many new people and dogs, sniffing the interesting smells, and basking in the sunshine. But what they love best is just being with us 24 hours a day.

Yes, they sometimes get restless when we have been onboard for too many days, especially the younger one. But consider that 90% of the dog population is alone 8-10 hours a day while their owners work. Given the choice I think any one of them would rather live on even a small boat and be with the ones they love.

You can see for yourself what a hard life Dyna and Dylan have on our blog:
http://takingpaws.com
Old 31-10-2010, 12:29   #127
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
After living with two short-haired shedders and finding dog hair everywhere including on clean dishes, in the toilet and in every dish of food, I'd get a Mexican hairless unless I had a ton of fresh water every day for washdowns. There's something about sea air that glues dog hair to everything. No amount of cleaning, washing and wiping seems to banish it.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13   #128

Hi!

We liveaboard a 32' Endeavor class Sloop, with two dogs, one big, one small. They are a Golden Retriever, Joey, and a Shihtzu, Simon. Joey definitely is the one that wards off boarders. He is a large speciman for his breed, whereas Simon gets stuck with Anchor watch. He's very good at his job. We always know if there is anyone close to the boat, and since we always anchor out, this is important.

The dogs, Joey and Simon, started their own blog. It was actually just a creative way to stay in touch with kids and grandkids, family and friends, back home. We restarted it for this next cruise to Costa Rica. We invite anyone interested in following the lives of Joey and Simon, as they leave the midwest aboard a sailboat bound for the Caribbean. We definitely explore the differences in breed and the benefits each can contribute to the crewing of the boat. I hope to see you there.
Sailboat Dog Click on follow and drop us a line!

Thanks,
RNGypsy03
http://www.sailboatdog.com
RNGypsy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45   #129

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I have an 18 month old dog called Harvey. I got him from a rescue center in southern Spain and he's settled into life on board very well. We have had NO 'accidents' on board and he has found his own little bit of outside deck to go on if he's desperate.

The above poster is spot on, a dog would rather have company than a large house to wander round so size isn't really an issue, within reason!

When I move onto a sailing vessel in the near future, I will be fitting netting to the side rails and of course, he'll have his own jacket when at sea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000127.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	20818   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000130.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	20819  

simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 00:40   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGypsy03 View Post
Hi!

a Golden Retriever, Joey, Joey definitely is the one that wards off boarders. He is a large speciman for his breed

Oh yeah, just the sight of this guy's got meshakin' in my sea boots! Imagine all the fur I'll have to vacuum off of my black stealth suit I gotfrom his furry waggin' tail as he was watching me remove the winches, autopilot etc. I'm sure all over the Caribbean tennis balls are deflating in fear of his impending arrival.

And um, welcome to the forum! That's a fine looking (yet ferocious) family you have there.

Blair
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 17:54   #131

Boat: Endeavor, Sloop, 32', Chrysalis
Dogs aboard... big and small

Having dogs aboard is a great thing for security and it will help to put some adventure into their lives. Check out the life of the dogs living aboard our boat. Sailboat Dog.

Enjoy and happy sailing!
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 19:19   #132

Blair,

I look much meaner in the dark! Besides, if you're a bad guy, and you happen to figure out my good nature, I can always send in the kid......

Wags,

Joey

I decapitated my chicken toy today...does that count?? Hahahaha
RNGypsy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:21   #133

Boat: Seafarer 26
Joey is too cute to be scary.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:43   #134

Boat: Moody 36CC
Good evening

We are planning on cruising in the Caribbean next winter.
Has anybody come up with problems cruising in the Caribbean with their pet dog? If so, what were the problems and were they easy to resolve?
Old 15-12-2010, 18:41   #135

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I've read that dogs are not allowed ashore in Panama. If your dog arrives by air, you can pay a fee to avoid a quaranteen and your good to go where you want with your dog. Anyone have experience bringing a dog to Panama by boat?

Tags
dogs, liveaboard