Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 16:31   #1

Lifting a lab aboard

Hi All, Anchored at Battle Creek, Patuxent River , MD. Our Lab is with us and no marina in sight. We used a tackle to lift her in and out go the dingy. She wears a life jacket from Cabellas with two fat belly straps and a strong lifting handle. Is this ok on her intestines? Seems to be but could use some advice. Thanks All,
Spirit
SailorBill1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 16:57   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
My chessie learned to climb a ladder. In some boardings I had to tap my shoulder and she would paw up and hop into a lift position. Labs are smart.never had to use a lift. Once and a bit we screwed up and I yanked her full out with a standard collar. Those were the dammit scupper this is a really bad time to jump ship and duck hunt. Just guessing that your lab will be fine. Miss my old friend. The other method we used was a dinghy haul. She would swim to the dinghy transom and I would get her collar she would get her paws against the transom and I pulled her up. From there it was our shoulder lift routine.
One time she followed me up a 45 foot extension ladder. Great dog.enjoy.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 05:44   #3

Re: Lifting a lab aboard

Most of the lifting of an animal should be from just behind the front legs and just forward of the stomach area at the bottom of the rib cage. Some stablization toward the rear is necessary from the slipping backward and does not hurt them. That's what a vet told be in slinging a large dog that I nursed back from two broken legs and broken pelvis. You're only doing it for a minute of so, this was hanging the dog for three weeks! If you hurt the dog it will let you know it IMO.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 06:32   #4

Boat: Cal 27

That seems to compare favorably with common sense. Think about being lifted yourself. Putting weight on a strap around the chest would be much more comfortable than having one around the stomach. The harness we have for walking our dog has loops that you fit the front legs into. If I pull up on the leash, most of the pull is centered across her chest behind the front legs. I've yanked her up short with no noticeable discomfort on her part. If the dog is young and in good shape, a short duration pull from the stomach probably is ok as long as it is slow and steady and not a jerking motion. Just my totally uninformed guess.

cas
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 08:43   #5

Boat: Silverton Motor Yacht

Not sure if I'm late in this question...it is hard on there internal organs and the spin. I was looking into something for our retriever just to get on board our carver while docking up. I did some research and sorry can't remember the true site(goggle). It was for police and resue dogs. They had a special sling for lifting their shepards up and down rocky ledges or places. They had a motor pully,like some dingy lifts (which we don't have) . It was kind of neat sling and safe on the dogs.
I ended up using a ramp that I purchased from petsmart that holds 500 pounds. Practiced with her just laying it flat on dock, walking back and forth on it. She was scared and afraid to board from dock to boat, but no problem now. I added rubber tred to the ramp and made sure a rug on aft deck for her grip. She has only gone with us for short cruises or if we docked. We have no dingy at this moment. She is good companionship when Im alone and staying at our dock. She has become friends with our boat neighbors except for the boat neighbor who's cat sits in their window and meows at her...funny.
JoanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 09:05   #6
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I haul up our Irish Setter with a vest that has handles on the back and is a full vest under and around her, so there isn't a "belly strap" per se. She doesn't mind it a bit. And has never indicated by so much as a yelp that it hurt.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 09:45   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

With our little scum dogs we just use there life jacket handles I guess about the same as sarafina said above ! and they work well ! never hurt them yet !