Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 21-05-2009, 07:30   #16

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
I have maintained 2 fanny packs on board for a number of years.
Mostly for the occasional individuals who are reluctant to wear otherwise.
But I worry because I had read a report/review a while back suggesting
that after taking an unexpected plunge, someone not comfortable in the
water might not be that fast to deploy.
In the end, far better to have than not...
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 16:40   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Humm.. my thought exactly.

Seems like a great solution for the average day when wearing a vest is just annoying in the heat and calm conditions... but if you slipped and landed in the soup you'd be mighty glad to have it at hand.

In heavy weather I might be more inclined to prefer a more traditional around the neck inflatable so that all that's between me and positive buoyancy is a swift jerk on the pull line. I don't think I would be happy struggling to get a vest on in heavy seas.

I even worry a bit in that case. What if you got your bell rung by the boom as you went overboard and were unconscious in the water... who is going to pull the inflatable line for you? Is there a vest with a water sensor on the vest that auto inflates from flat as a pancake to nicely ballooned when it hits the water? Now that idea has some merit. If no one has thought of it yet consider it Patent Pending right NOW!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 16:52   #18

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Hey Sarafina

Inflatable Life Jackets for Sailing

Many options.
Old 22-07-2009, 17:17   #19
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Late to the party once again...

Well there ya have it. My brilliant idea, already spoken for. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. I wish for once I'd get that genius idea BEFORE anyone else!

Thanks so much for the tip... I think this is the ticket for me!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 00:05   #20

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
I have 4 fanny pack type life jackets which I have had for years. I got mine from US Navy surplus and they were Mil Spec. They were used by below deck or engine room sailors who had to don life vests and climb and escape through trunk hatches. They came with a 1 d cell flashlight, a whistle, a lifting harness, a very heavy waist belt, 2 co2 cartridges and a mouth filling tube. You put them on by pulling the May West inflatable out of the pouch and put it over your head and filled it by pulling a lanyard which punctures the co2 cartridges. I believe the lifting harness are strong enough for a helicopter pickup. They or something similar, have been used by the Navy since WW II, but these I have, are not Coast Guard approved.

They do work as expected holding your face up, and the co2 cart. can be purchased and replaced when needed.

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 15:27   #21

Boat: 43 Fountain Pajot Belize

I've read this post and am still wondering which inflatable life vests with harnesses will actually fit a "well endowed" woman. I've tried the ones at West Marine and the strap comes right across my breasts. I would love to be able to try something on before making the purchase. Any suggestions? I do have my white water paddling vest which is better than nothing but does not work as a harness.
MeckDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 15:34   #22

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeckDC View Post
I've read this post and am still wondering which inflatable life vests with harnesses will actually fit a "well endowed" woman. I've tried the ones at West Marine and the strap comes right across my breasts. I would love to be able to try something on before making the purchase. Any suggestions? I do have my white water paddling vest which is better than nothing but does not work as a harness.
Best place to try them out/on is a boat show.
Old 18-08-2009, 16:38   #23

I'm a big guy and the Spinlock Deckvest is the only inflatable with harness that I found that is comforable to wear.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 21:38   #24

Boat: 1979 LIDO 14 - Miss Daisy
Where is a good place to find a variety of life jackets for women?

Also is there a general adult package of life jackets for your guests for a reasonable price? I found one that was a pack of four, but for the label to say they were for adults they sure were small!

Thanks!
Azura Solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 02:46   #25

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Hi, as two largish women, we have explored this a bit. I'm a bit confused by the language here between PFD and inflatable, which may be a US thing. I think a PFD is a permanent floating support primarily for small boats, and not suitable for offshore use. For these, which we do carry for dinghy use, we found simply getting bigger blokes ones have been adequate. We have used them in the water, though not in an emergency and they've worked ok. So that seems to be about getting a big but not too big one. They're cheap enough you can replace it if you're unhappy.

Is an inflatable an offshore lifejacket? if so, we have found the Baltic Ultimate suits us. It's has an integral harness and plenty of adjustable straps to get it right for you. Importantly it has a crotch strap. Also very important it has an automatic hood so that as you go in the water and the automatic inflation kicks in, the hood comes out. If you sail in cold water, where cold water shock is a key danger to cause you to inhale water, this is a significant safety feature.

We have adjusted ours to suit each of us and they are then both labelled with our names and each has a piece of coloured ribbon attached. When we have visiting crew we issue them each with their own lifejacket, require them to adjust it to size and then make sure they know which is their coloured ribbon. So far the baltics have been sufficiently flexible for us.

We have used the Baltics in the water, doing our sea survival course, and they were fine, but of course that's not the same as the emergency test we work very hard to avoid.

I would be interested in the fanny pack test too as they look a cool alternative with all the stuff in teh pack as well.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:35   #26

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Well endowered?

If the lady in question is a "modern" silicone enhanced model then a life-jacket may not be required. She may actually aid in keeping other people afloat Way to go!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47   #27
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
If the lady in question is a "modern" silicone enhanced model then a life-jacket may not be required. She may actually aid in keeping other people afloat Way to go!
I only read this thread to see how long it would take for the above type comment. Now I'm waiting to see if there's going to be a flashback!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57   #28

Boat: 43 Fountain Pajot Belize
Springbok,

100% Natural, 0% Silicone. Although they do float well.

MeckDC
MeckDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:18   #29

Boat: Ker 11.3

Dont bother with patent as already been done. I bought a Crewsaver 190N and have found it really good and comfortable and certainly fits the bill. Google it and see.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29   #30

Boat: 1979 Hunter 37 cutter
Fanny packs blow up hard and stiff. They are a bitch to put on in the water. The traditional inflatable is already "on" you.