Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2009, 19:14   #16
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
justdoit,

You're not leaving your kids behind. You're showing them the way.

I love it!

I will shamelessly repeat it.
__________________

__________________
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 19:39   #17
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Counseling...

I was kicked south at age 12 to go to boarding school, returning "home" many times for holidays, some quite extended.

The one thing I wish my parents had done is to sit down with me and discuss various ways of making money. In the sixties the accepted wisdom was that one got the best possible education and then looked for the best possible job.

This does not suit some and it didn't really suit me. Some serious counseling that got past adolescent fantasies would have been very nice.
__________________

__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 20:33   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,005
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I was the victim of tough love from my parents. When I decided to drop out of school they said fine, find an apartment and give us a call occasionally. After 6 months of working decided College was really worthwhile. Parents said, that's great, tell us when the graduation ceremony is. Managed to work full time and carry a full load for a year and a half but graduated with minimal debt. Somehow managed to get where I was going on my own.

With our own children, our oldest son worked part time, we paid rent and tuition and he graduated with a double degree, engineering and management and little debt. Younger son had a great time for a year and a half before finally flunking out. He came home for a couple of months but we soon invited him to find a place to live on his own. We told him if he went back to school, he'd have to show us one good semester before we'd consider helping him out financially. He worked for a couple of years but got tired of living below the poverty line and decided to go back to school. He refused any help and insisted on paying for his education himself. He just graduated.

I think you are doing your kids a disservice if you delay your cruise and continue to support their lifestyle at the expense of your cruise.
__________________
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 20:36   #19
Registered User
 
Reality Check's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Posts: 585
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I was the victim of tough love from my parents. When I decided to drop out of school they said fine, find an apartment and give us a call occasionally. After 6 months of working decided College was really worthwhile. Parents said, that's great, tell us when the graduation ceremony is. Managed to work full time and carry a full load for a year and a half but graduated with minimal debt. Somehow managed to get where I was going on my own.

With our own children, our oldest son worked part time, we paid rent and tuition and he graduated with a double degree, engineering and management and little debt. Younger son had a great time for a year and a half before finally flunking out. He came home for a couple of months but we soon invited him to find a place to live on his own. We told him if he went back to school, he'd have to show us one good semester before we'd consider helping him out financially. He worked for a couple of years but got tired of living below the poverty line and decided to go back to school. He refused any help and insisted on paying for his education himself. He just graduated.

I think you are doing your kids a disservice if you delay your cruise and continue to support their lifestyle at the expense of your cruise.

Amen.......
__________________
I prefer a sailboat to a motorboat, and it is my belief that boat sailing is a finer, more difficult, and sturdier art than running a motor.
--- Jack London
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 22:13   #20
Registered User
 
CharlieCobra's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PNW
Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Posts: 1,290
I have 8 kids with the youngest on a rebound back home at present. Our rule was, if you're not in school, it's out the door at 19. We're fixing to exercise that rule again shortly. Yeah, times are tough but the other 7 are out there doing it and this one will too shortly. Give them the nudge and go sailing...
__________________
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 23:17   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
My mom had a dream. That dream was to sail around the world. She met my dad (step dad) and a few weeks later they sailed off into the horizon without a backward glance! I was 22, the youngest of three kids. Frankly, I felt a bit jilted! The first few months I waited for the call saying they couldn't live without me, but it never came. I waited for the letters saying they missed me and couldn't handle being away from me, but it never came. When they did call there was usually music playing in the background and talk of sandy beaches and blue oceans. They handled the separation quite well and always kept a stiff upper lip. Frankly, if I didn't know better I'd say they handled it a bit too well, at times they even seemed giddy.

I realized that my parents could have a life without me (trust me, I'm as shocked as you are)

Meanwhile, I learned how fight my own battles, pay my bills, use a laundromat, make decisions,
make mistakes (that part was easy).

Go, they will be ok.
Erika
__________________
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 00:40   #22
Registered User
 
Dreaming Yachtsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kennewick, WA
Posts: 490
Images: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Our older son moved in with us after college because he found a well paying job at a local national laboratory in our home town. He payed rent into a separate bank account for two years until we drew the money out for the down payment on our cruising boat. A few months after we started cruising, he bought the house from us. Now he is married so in hurricane season we stay with our other son in the condo we helped him buy and are now "fixing up". Our younger son never came back home to live after college. When he told my wife that he felt like we had deserted him when we took off cruising, she asked him why he felt that way since he rarely saw us after heading off to college. He replied that before we left he new we were just a few hours away by car - now we are thousands of miles away.

He seems to have gotten over it, though.
__________________
John
Formerly S/V Yachtsman's Dream
Go sailing now. Life is too short not to enjoy it.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 02:03   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Minggat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hawaii, South Pacific bound
Boat: Islander 36
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
That sense of "homebase" is gone. ........ All perspectives welcomed!!

Well, you certainly are getting a lot of perspectives. And they all seem to say, JUST DO IT.

I'd say the same. You are already stuck. You want to and therefore you will. As far as the kids go, since we were all kids at some point, we know something about what they will face. I sheepishly admit to being one of those who went home when it was not easy to make it on my own. Many years later when my father died I felt the loss that the "homebase" was gone.

That homebase can be a little elusive. For some people more than others. But my boat is my home and it feels like it. My corner of the world. Your kids need to build their own corner of the world.

As for your own homebase, just try to remember that it can be messy. You will find that things like goverments have a little trouble dealing with you. They don't know how to handle people in our positions. I also know how that is because sometimes I don't know how to deal with me. (At the moment I'm in one country, my wife is in another and my boat is in another). We all seek stability, but some of us are happy just to know where stability can be found. It's in our heads..... or not.
__________________
Minggat
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 05:27   #24
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
My fathers advice is the same I have given my 17 year old for years. It is my responsibility to keep you safe, properly house you, feed you and give you the best education I possibly can. If it means giving up all my free time, and pleasures to work three jobs a day to do so, it's the job I signed up for when we decided to have children. It is their job, with plenty of guidance for eighteen years, to take full advantage all that is freely and lovingly given to them.
On their eighteenth birthday they, as did I, will receive a birthday card with the greatest gift I can give them inside. One word will appear just above "Love Mom and Dad" That word is "Freedom"
If ever I was thought of as enabling, a Boomerang, or Helicopter parent. I would seriously feel insulted
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 11:07   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home was PA
Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace
Posts: 22
Thanks everyone for your "pearls" of wisdom. It's great to find a supportive community!

The saying: It takes a village to raise a child. I'm finding I need a city to help me let go of them. I was always anxious to have them grow up and be independent.....but I pictured that with the house to come home to if they ever need it. As another wise person pointed out to me....I am that security, not the house.

Funny, not ONE post said to stick around for a bit longer! Raising children was truly and adventure, and one I was fortunate to have........but time for the next adventure! We are going to look at some boats tomorrow....what a great way to spend a day off.

Thanks for all of your openness......keep it coming.....I will have moments of doubt and guilt. LOL.
__________________
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 16:35   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
i told my son i will go away and leave him behind when i sail---i donot want to be bothered with bs and nonsense---he is grown--he has his life and i have mine--as it should be......and i have lol--is easy to do .....just GO!!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 19:25   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
Thanks everyone for your "pearls" of wisdom. It's great to find a supportive community!

The saying: It takes a village to raise a child. I'm finding I need a city to help me let go of them. I was always anxious to have them grow up and be independent.....but I pictured that with the house to come home to if they ever need it. As another wise person pointed out to me....I am that security, not the house.

Funny, not ONE post said to stick around for a bit longer! Raising children was truly and adventure, and one I was fortunate to have........but time for the next adventure! We are going to look at some boats tomorrow....what a great way to spend a day off.

Thanks for all of your openness......keep it coming.....I will have moments of doubt and guilt. LOL.
In my tongue in cheek reply I forgot to say - as they plotted to leave, as they cast off the lines, and as they sailed around the world, they never stopped telling me how much they loved me.

My mom and I never stopped being best friends, even when she "dropped me like a hot potato" for a RTW adventure with a handsome sailor man.

Cheers,
Erika
__________________
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 11:26   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
In my tongue in cheek reply I forgot to say - as they plotted to leave, as they cast off the lines, and as they sailed around the world, they never stopped telling me how much they loved me.

My mom and I never stopped being best friends, even when she "dropped me like a hot potato" for a RTW adventure with a handsome sailor man.

Cheers,
Erika
i love my son--he kno0ws that---he knows i am available for advice, info, shoulder to cry on----and that i am NOT available for money, a place to stay or babysitting favors lol.....is alllll gooood---and i leave happily every time--last saw him 3-4 yrs ago--have heard from him occasionally--he doesnt call much...is alll goood----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 12:35   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,096
Back in the day I and all my friends couldnt wait to get out of our parents' houses - They wouldnt let us smoke pot and have sex. Many of today's parents are perfectly OK with that kind of thing - why should the kids move out when they have such a good deal?

I am all for supporting them through college because my father supported me and his father supported him through school. I told them my price for paying for their college is that THEY pay for my grandchildren's college. That way everybody only pays once. But if they drop out they have to maintain their own life functions. Nothing like a minimum wage job to focus the mind on the benefits of higher education.
__________________
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 12:37   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,096
by the way, this thread is mis-titled. People in their 20's arent "children"
__________________

__________________
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
children

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossing Atlantic with young Children? texwards Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 13 17-11-2008 22:28
Children and Offshore life jacket/harness Safety JohnnyB Health, Safety & Related Gear 11 19-06-2008 09:44
Leaving Australia enzwell Pacific & South China Sea 19 24-01-2006 10:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.