Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-12-2011, 11:10   #61

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsAtC
Hi all. Have been following this thread with great interest as we are in the planning stage of our trip and hope to set sail within the next 6 to 12 months. All our plans include our two German Shepherds. With all your tips about doggy doo and wees hopefully we should be able to manage.

I would like to hear your suggestions and ideas on how to keep your dogs entertained on long sailing stretches eg when you have been sailing for a week plus at a time. Whilst our dogs love being with us I am sure they will get bored after being cooped up for a few days.

Also would be interested to hear from people who have large dogs on what size and type of catamaran you have, how it works with the dogs and what you would recommend for water sailing">blue water sailing. Look forward to hearing your responses. Cheers
Entertainment ideas!: frozen kings stuffed with peanut butter, yogurt etc, durable chews that are digestible like a bully stix. Short individual training sessions with rewards scattered through out, music, change up the routine a little bit. This is what we do. SC

Old 18-12-2011, 11:27   #62

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
Re: Large Dogs Aboard

Boaz the Boxer learned to sail at 10 years old! Just mention the boat and he starts dancing for joy ... wouldn't miss a trip with me. One of the great things about it is the dingy adventures with new shores to explore.

Sure beats holdin down the couch all day.

Old 18-12-2011, 11:42   #63

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36

Love it! We have two pitties and a schnoodle (20lb). The schnoodle is the elder and just chills, the other two take their joy by watching dolphins and snapping at crab pot bouys....they are entertained all day long LOL*!
Old 18-12-2011, 12:12   #64
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Lock your dog & your spouse in the trunk, open it a hour later. Which one is glad to see you?
Even better.. which one are YOU happier to see?

; -D

Quote:
I would like to hear your suggestions and ideas on how to keep your dogs entertained on long sailing stretches eg when you have been sailing for a week plus at a time.
Teach em to fetch a floaty in the water. In fair weather heave to and let em overboard to play. Crawl into the dingy, go out with em and they can fetch and return to you until they want to climb aboard for a rest. Or, if you have a ramp rig like I do, play from the boat. I use a chuckit to get enough distance to wear the girl out.

A tired dog is a good dog and a good dog is a happy dog!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 15:43   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsAtC View Post
Hi all. Have been following this thread with great interest as we are in the planning stage of our trip and hope to set sail within the next 6 to 12 months. All our plans include our two German Shepherds. With all your tips about doggy doo and wees hopefully we should be able to manage.

I would like to hear your suggestions and ideas on how to keep your dogs entertained on long sailing stretches eg when you have been sailing for a week plus at a time. Whilst our dogs love being with us I am sure they will get bored after being cooped up for a few days.

Also would be interested to hear from people who have large dogs on what size and type of catamaran you have, how it works with the dogs and what you would recommend for blue water sailing. Look forward to hearing your responses. Cheers
I have a German Shepard and have had them before, in fact, except for the time in the Army overseas, I had a dog all my life. You didn't say how old your dogs are. If they are young, a few days 3/4 won't hurt them. If they are older (mature or older) I wouldn't do it. Shepards need exercise especially as they get older. They will be more prone to arthitus and legimate problems and hip displasia (sp) if they can't move for days at a time. It's hard on them physically. Another issue is the crap, my dog has a pile similar to a horse! What a mess that would be on deck and running around next to winches, trim and crevices! Having two....I can imagine what it would be like....and, most don't shed as bad as mine does, seems hungs fall out constantly, there is always hair. The hair I can live with, mostly, but it can get everywhere. Mine is also on a diet of the same food, plus tid bits occassionally, I'm not sure how he would react to dog food in Mexico, if you're headed away from a regular food source. That means, for a long cruise, storing a couple hundred pounds of food for a month. If I had a 60' cat with a large deck, I might consider taking mine. Otherwise, I think I'd have to think of him first and what he would want as opposed to my wants of having him (forcing him) to be with me.
Old 25-12-2011, 15:55   #66
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Teach em to fetch a floaty in the water. In fair weather heave to and let em overboard to play. Crawl into the dingy, go out with em and they can fetch and return to you until they want to climb aboard for a rest. Or, if you have a ramp rig like I do, play from the boat. I use a chuckit to get enough distance to wear the girl out.
My guess is that the dog would be the happier of the 2.

But YMMV
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 19:36   #67

I have the solution for y'all. I call it the poop-o-matic
Old 27-12-2011, 20:25   #68

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36

OMG!!! LOL*******
Old 27-12-2011, 20:59   #69

Boat: Wellcraft 38 KV Scarab Carver 4207 Aft Cabin

Here are some pictures of my 100 LB Labrador.....he loves to stand "watch" and really loves living aboard a boat. I would not have it anyway.

....and if my fellow boaters don't like him that fine, I don't like cats but if someone has them on there boat I will not complain....free country and its your boat/life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	35181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	35182  

Name:	IMG_1616.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	35183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	35184  

Old 14-01-2012, 06:45   #70

I'm new to this forum. Starting sailing lessons next month then rent for a while then buy. I have three small dogs and was wondering about the logistics. Thanks for the astro advice and the gr8 humor.
Old 14-01-2012, 07:30   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, garyaaz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 10:41   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

welcome!

i found large doggies in an anchorage do make a lot of noise--especially when they see something coming quarter mile away--even if not a threat to anchorage and folks inside---- definitely make alarm clocks look silent.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:20   #73

Boat: Catalina 387
We have a 100# lab that now refuses
to go down the companionway steps. He use to do it but not gracefully. Any suggestions on how to get him down the stairs? It is a
Catalina 387
Old 05-02-2012, 19:33   #74
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Put him on a diet? Has he gained weight and is a bit stout now? Makes them much less limber, especially as they get a bit older. A Lab over #80 is pretty big...

If that is not the issue perhaps a middle step/platform so he can make the transition in 2 stages?

I have seen big dogs struggle with the grade of the steps. Perhaps a longer ladder with a shallower decent? And maybe slightly deeper treads?

Good luck finding something that helps your buddy, We have a friend who was struggling with his lab and the ladder and loosing some weight made all the difference.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:46   #75
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Put him on a diet? Has he gained weight and is a bit stout now? Makes them much less limber, especially as they get a bit older. A Lab over #80 is pretty big...

If that is not the issue perhaps a middle step/platform so he can make the transition in 2 stages?

I have seen big dogs struggle with the grade of the steps. Perhaps a longer ladder with a shallower decent? And maybe slightly deeper treads?

Good luck finding something that helps your buddy, We have a friend who was struggling with his lab and the ladder and loosing some weight made all the difference.
I spent years doing this with a very large older dog. He bacame more and more unable to handle the steps until he finally died at 16, pretty good for a Rottweiler-Malamute. I had to physically pick him up from the cockpit and step down two steps to put him on the cabin sole for much of his later life. I blew out my back doing this once or twice, he was a big dog. He also spent the last two years or so of his life being transported up the dock and back in a dock cart, something many found very entertaining. Most common comment- "can I get a ride like that?". We spent months on the hard with him as well and he had to be hoisted up and down the ladder there as well. All part of living aboard with an older large dog! His replacement-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bruno2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	37025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruno3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	37026  

Tags
dogs