Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2010, 10:31   #46
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Try brushing on 50-50 white vinegar and bleach... make sure you wax the area after....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30   #47

Boat: Seafarer 26
We lived aboard for many years. 50 lb dog that grew up on the boat. He was very intelligent. We lived at the dock at a boat yard. He would step on the spring line with his front paws to bring the boat closer then jump off. He only messed up when we had the mast out for awhile. He got in a habit of running and jumping right off the bow sprit. You can figure out what happened when the mast went back. He went every where with us including sailing. He would be laying out on the side deck under the shade of the sail. I think we did 10 hours total at a time and he never did his business on board. The decision has to be two fold: Can you physically fish them out of the water if the go in? You could always use a lifevest with a hook and bring the in with a halyard line. Will they be miserable and make you miserable? I think it helps to get them into it early.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:08   #48
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters
Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
If pushed he will pee on the staunchions up the front of the boat & has been known to poo on the trampolines. How's that for a considerate pooch.
Way smarter & more useful than teenage boys IMO
So svstrider, where will he pee and poo when he's not "pushed"?

We won't buy into the argument about which is the smarter species (dogs or teenage boys, an interesting argument!) but we're finally free of the teenagers and we still have a (little, ageing but great) dog. So for us this thread is a real issue...how do all those cruisers out there we see with dogs manage the dogs' physical functions? The prosepct of putting the dinghy to sea every evening (AFTER cocktail hour!) and morning to keep the pooch irrigated (and the decks dry) seems rather unattractive...but is there an alternative?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:26   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: DeFever 53 RPH, aCappella
We have trained 3 large dogs to do their business on the boat, including one we adopted at the age of 9. It can be done but requires patience and consistency. We view it as a matter of safety, both for us and for the dogs.

We have two articles on our website, one about how we did it and another by a boater with a different technique:
https://www.activecaptain.com/articl...canineCrew.php

We've heard from lots of boaters who have found success, trust in our dog and give LOTS of praise.
Old 12-12-2010, 13:02   #50
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters
Thanks Karen/MsActiveCaptain

That article is a fun and very useful read...and well done with your doggie success stories!

We're hoping one very bright but ageing little Boston Terrier named Moet will soon become Maritime Moet!

Fair winds,
Don&Di
Old 06-03-2011, 14:49   #51
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Large Dogs Aboard

my plan is the same as it is now. almost. right now i have a little box for the dogs, they go in a 3'x4' box with papers in it. for the boat i plan a 3'x3' box, with a catch basin in the bottom. 1/2" square hole grate. the poop and pee goes thru the holes, and can be salt water washed overboard.
as far as animal poop in the water, duh.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31   #52

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti' Punch View Post
We've been struggling with this issue. We have a 40lb lab mix and a 90lb lab mix that have been putting a serious crimp in our cruising. We have not brought them on board yet due to the whole shedding/peeing/pooping thing, but that means that for any trip over about 12 hours we need to find a dog sitter or take them to the kennel. That adds tremendously to the cost and hassle of a 3 day weekend trip and has caused us to limit our sailing to day trips for most of the summer. It's a real bummer. I've read about the astro turf method, but there are so many other things to consider. Most of our cruising up till now has been to marinas. I can't imagine how much hate and discontent our barking dogs would cause in a peaceful marina or anchorage. It also seems cruel to the dogs to leave them penned up in the hot boat while the family heads to the marina pool or restaraunt. We're kind of at an impasse at this point. Anybody want a dog?
This is exactly what our situation is as well. (Or should I say, will be- first crusier this spring) We have 2 boxers, and I suspect they will be on the boat with us at least part of the time.

We've always had dogs, and have the philosophy that, ya know, poop happens. I'm not saying that I like having it around; it's just a natural part of owning a dog. I'm sitting here thinking, and I might have a solution: At home outside we have a small garbage can with a lid for poo. We line it with a bag and empty it about every other day. There isn't much smell to speak of unless it's hot. So I'm wondering if the same theory couldn't work on the boat- only adding some cat litter to the bag to absorb odors. I think it would be ok for a day sail until it can be disposed of on shore. As far as pee, I'm planning on keeping some Nature's Miracle handy.

I just couldn't imagine not having them on the boat with us.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:06   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

lippy-
The absorbent (clumping) kitty litter will work very nicely.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:59   #54
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

build yourself a box, 2x2' train them to go in there. thats what i did for my labs. just like cats, they do miss sometimes, but 99% of the time they do not.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:26   #55
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

This is one of those things that are not as hard as it seems, once you give it a go.

All my dogs are big. At the moment we have one VERY active young Irish Setter bitch. At three she needs plenty of action. Being on the boat actually is a good work out when we are sailing. She likes to ride in the bow pulpit keeping watch and keeping her balance is a bit of a workout.

When at the dock we do walks, a no brainer.

On anchor, if the dog is not trained to do their business aboard, trips to shore morning and evening are a necessity. No matter how small a boat we have been on we have a tender. A quick late night trip to shore takes care of them.

On one memorable occasion, when the inflatable had sprung a leak and I had forgot to fix it and the doggy legs were crossed tightly the spouse climbed into the big innertube tow along we had aboard, pulled the 60lb puppy into his lap and paddled to shore coracle style and then back when she had had a stretch. He got a hero's welcome when he got back. I only advise this method in warm weather and warm water!

The current pup is an avid swimmer. At anchor a good swim around the boat would chill her energy levels out and near enough to shore she would swim there herself and then swim back. This only works where scooping up after her is not an issue.

A harness or vest with a handle aids lifting a big dog aboard.

I have a ramp rig that can be deployed over the side to allow her to get on and off with out much help, but it's bulky. It can be used at the dock as well.

One other dog tip aboard;

Amazing.. Holds a lot and doesn't slosh and spill even when boat is heeling.

We keep one in the car as well and it never spills. Sometimes we lash it by the handle to something to keep it from sliding in weather.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:49   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

scoobert, there's even an "as seen on tv" box already made. About two by two with a removal astroturf-type liner, wash and re-use. Sold in the malls and drug stores in case you don't need to "buy two now and..."
Old 15-11-2011, 05:53   #57

Hi all. Have been following this thread with great interest as we are in the planning stage of our trip and hope to set sail within the next 6 to 12 months. All our plans include our two German Shepherds. With all your tips about doggy doo and wees hopefully we should be able to manage.

I would like to hear your suggestions and ideas on how to keep your dogs entertained on long sailing stretches eg when you have been sailing for a week plus at a time. Whilst our dogs love being with us I am sure they will get bored after being cooped up for a few days.

Also would be interested to hear from people who have large dogs on what size and type of catamaran you have, how it works with the dogs and what you would recommend for blue water sailing. Look forward to hearing your responses. Cheers
Old 15-11-2011, 06:00   #58
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

All I can say is that I can tell you all really love your dogs! I doubt it is possible for non-dog owners (like me) to understand.
Old 15-11-2011, 06:11   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas
All I can say is that I can tell you all really love your dogs! I doubt it is possible for non-dog owners (like me) to understand.
I think it's called "unconditional love". Pets are the absolute best at it. Cheers
Old 18-12-2011, 10:30   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsAtC

I think it's called "unconditional love". Pets are the absolute best at it. Cheers
Lock your dog & your spouse in the trunk, open it a hour later. Which one is glad to see you?

Tags
dogs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: