Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 23:17   #1

Question Kitty+Wasp Spray+Firecrackers = Perfect Security System? [Kinda Long]

Hi everyone!

Been a really long time since I've posted, but I just had to talk about some interesting things I've learned lately.

The other day I became curious (again) about which animals make the best cruising pets for circumnavigating or long trips. After watching several entertaining videos on youtube about cats I read somewhere that Manx cats are territorial and that Siamese cats have been used as guards by monks in Nepal and to help protect the king in ancient Siam.

This blew my mind a little because I've certainly heard about guard dogs but never guard cats. I know that cats can be very protective (A few video examples below, 2nd one is graphic) but I wonder if they would really be like that on a boat with thieves or uninvited guests.

As for the second part of the title; Instead of Mace or Pepper Spray, I've heard where people have used wasp or bug spray as an effective deterrent. Aerosol bug spray can be shot up to 20 feet but isn't something that would ever be confiscated in international waters.

I'm not sure about the firecrackers bit, but I thought it might be a good idea to get really loud ones, (Like in the video below) since stun grenades are harder to come by...

I know that there have been a lot of security related posts before and that bright lights and flares are great deterrents, I've just never really thought of a cat as being a good addition for so many reasons: They love to take care of flying fish, mice and other critters that end up onboard, they are pretty easy to take care of compared to larger animals, they actually help owners live longer (Google it ) and they might even be really good guards if you get the right type.

Anyone have a guard cat, used wasp spray to effectively deter unwelcome guests or used firecrackers in this manner? Ever heard of someone else using these things as such?

-PK
PlumKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 00:31   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Kitty+Wasp Spray+Firecrackers = Perfect Security System? [Kinda Long]

Most likely, training castle cats was a treasured skill in what used to be Siam. You'd want to talk with animal trainers about it, and also, I'd think more than one cat would be better.

Ann
Old 16-01-2016, 02:31   #3

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

I wouldn't keep the wasp spray just for defensive purposes as it is a felony to use it for other than it's intended purpose, it can cause blindness. That being said use what you got to defend yourselves, if you can't or wont have guns I guess cats are better than nothing but the firecrackers may scare the cats to their hidy hole.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:28   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Firecrackers are explosives.
Make sure you declare them in every country you go to.

I gave tear gas and wasp spray. Tear gas comes in better canisters that don't corrode as quickly as wasp spray. And their ain't no sea going wasps.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:33   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my maine coon mix, bubba daboatkat is a guard cat. anyone and anything ventures onto boat is dead. he particularly loves seagull.
people--he is not people friendly unless i introduce him
any cat that is happy in its home will guard it and the human family member it loves.
it is so easy to train a cat. much easier than training dogs. yes i have done both jobs. .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:52   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Most likely, training castle cats was a treasured skill in what used to be Siam. You'd want to talk with animal trainers about it, and also, I'd think more than one cat would be better.

Ann
Geography was so much easier when we were young Ann...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 06:29   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I think if you google wasp spray you will quickly learn that although it can cause lasting harm, it does not sting and would not deter an attacker, but more likely just make them made.

Pure urban legend.
Old 16-01-2016, 08:04   #8

That's awesome Zee! Do you have any tips about how you trained bubba to be a good sea kitty? I have a couple of cats myself, but they're completely inside cats for now, I'm not sure how they would take to the water. They absolutely hate baths though. Lol

As for the wasp spray, I know that Raid makes other kinds of aerosol bug sprays also that would make more sense and probably still shoot a long ways. I don't think the idea is to actually hurt people with wasp spray, though. I thought it made sense that if you're somewhere across the globe in a more remote location that the locals might not be familiar with bug spray and possibly be really scared by it. It really stinks and has a weird foamy texture that maybe they haven't seen before.

I never thought that tear gas would be allowed to stay onboard when sailing abroad. It makes a lot of sense to have it onboard though, for sure. I also never really thought about firecrackers as being explosives. Interesting stuff!

-PK
PlumKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 08:57   #9

No one has mentioned how to actually use wasp spray. All the sprays I have use some aromatic hydrocarbon (highly flammable) as main kill agent. A cigarette lighter + can of wasp spray makes a very effective flamethrower. Screw the chemical blindness, roast their ass. If you have had to resort to this, might as well grab the spear gun while they are preoccupied with the flames.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:24   #10

Nato used geese for various installations. Noisy and aggressive, but they poop a lot. A Schipperke was bred to protect boats in European canals and rivers. One is out here on a motor yacht and seems to do its job ok(both jobs, actually). A bored teenager with a ghetto blaster works wonders if you are not around to hear them. We had a Maine Coon cat(26 pounds of cat) for a number of years. Good mouser, protective, and needs brushing.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:31   #11

Boat: Ohlson 29

I always say "my boat", but in reality my cat owns the boat. That's what cats do: they own their territory and they'll defend it.

Any humans that want to come aboard are .. well, not welcome but tolerated, provided I'm there and allow them on board.
She'll either avoid them completely or give them the stink eye from the V-berth. In either case - give her her space, cos you are still an intruder and if you don't understand that right off the bat, she'll help you understand.

If she decides you're good people, she'll come sit next to you so you can introduce yourself. Do that right, and you have a new friend. Mess it up, and you're on her sh*t list. If she doesn't like someone, she'll always avoid them and watch closely from the V-berth.

When she's off the boat, she'll avoid strangers like the plague. When on the boat, she'll do some serious damage if I'm not there. There's only 2 other people besides me she'll allow on board without me (and we even agree on those two people ).
She also does a great job as an 'early warning system', which comes in handy.
Old 16-01-2016, 09:37   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Anne, perhaps a large orange cat with black stripes? Preferably from Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Ann
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:52   #13

Speaking about cats, years ago a friend in the UP of Michigan kept a wood pussy on his motorboat. Never a problem with trespassers. Tame little thing but oh so intimidating.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:52   #14

Just get a pet descented skunk.No need to train it.Just the sight of it will scare anyone away that knows what will happen to them if they get to close.
Old 16-01-2016, 09:58   #15

Boat: Freedom 32'

At home, by my bed I keep a spray bottle with ammonia in it.

Tags
security