Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 18:16   #1

Kid Friendly Marinas Near COrpus Christi, TX

My spouse was transferred to CC TX and we are living on a 440 Lagoon with a 3 y/o boy. Are there any kid friendly marinas in this area?
Old 06-04-2015, 19:06   #2

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: Kid Friendly Marinas Near COrpus Christi, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrookie View Post
My spouse was transferred to CC TX and we are living on a 440 Lagoon with a 3 y/o boy. Are there any kid friendly marinas in this area?

Can't think of any that would be any more "kid friendly" than an average marina.
Just finding a place for the relatively large 440 cat will be a challenge.
There are even more marinas to look at within a reasonable commuting distance from, say, the Corpus Christi Municipal Marina right downtown; Port Aransas, etc., but PA's a good drive.
There are a couple of marinas in the North Beach area (near the USS Lexington/CC Aquarium, towards Portland, used to be a little rough of a neighborhood years ago) that might have access, but not sure if for a sailboat with a tall mast (may be just limited to powerboats).

I would suggest maybe advertising to find a suitable unused slip at a private waterfront home to rent/lease, perhaps on (especially) North Padre Island, along Ocean Drive, or Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, Key Allegro in Rockport (those are some distance, but drivable). And other places that have 'beach' homes on navigable canals (although again, the big cat is stretching it). And if it doesn't work out, you can always just 'sail away'.
There has sure been a lot of that type development around here in the last thirty-forty years.

If a Navy/CG/Army transfer, the NAS-CC recently built/refurbed a base marina, but I'm not sure of the berthing spaces available, or the access channel draft off of CC Bay.

Buena Suerte.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 21:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Kid Friendly Marinas Near COrpus Christi, TX

As noted, "kid friendly" is kind of interesting...

Marinas for your boat are limited:

1) CC City Marina. They will have to put you on a long pier. Good security.

2) Port Aransas City Marina. I don't know if they have a spot big enough for you. As well, they are not taking new live aboards at the moment. Security is pretty scarce.

3) Island Moorings, Port Aransas. Might be your best bet. Not sure what they might have for your boat. Security is good, they have a pool, etc. Do know that it's about a 35 minute drive to downtown CC. Depends on where she works? Drop me a note, I'll be happy to help out. We are in Port Aransas, and spent 3 years in the CC City Marina.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas