Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 15:41   #1

Keeping boat clean with dogs on board

We are new live aboard cruisers. We have two medium size dogs. I am struggling to keep the outside of the boat clean and well maintained. We are at anchor or a morning ball as often as possible. We rinse the dogs feet with fresh water when they board the boat but there is still lots of dirt and dog hair. With the high humidity the dog hair sticks to the boat to the point it looks like it is growing a coat The dogs are brushed and bathed regularly. And tips on keeping up with this other than renting a slip so we can properly scrub and hose the decks?
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:54   #2

Re: Keeping boat clean with dogs on board

tough one. Not sure why dirt... you mean sand? or are the shores there muddy? Hair is a big problem.... I would consider keeping their coats short.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:03   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

shave the dogs and put booties on their feet

I don't know how people can have dogs on the boat, I'm dirty enough on my own
Old 11-07-2013, 18:03   #4

Yes, the shores are muddy and sandy. Some of the diet if from us too.
Is there a bootie that you recomend?
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:18   #5

Our 12 yr old yellow lab sheds like mad. He wears a lightweight jacket inside the boat, and we use dog booties to protect their paws from the burning hot concrete and blacktop. I sand down their claws down with the dremel. I can make a buzz -buzz sound and they look at me with contempt but it works better than the nail clippers, no sharp edges, no blood.

The oriental rugs get vacuumed every third day and the hair is all from the white short haired yellow lab and none from the golden retriever.

Shaving the yellow lab didn't work for us plus he needs his hair for sun protection.

We love them, and this is what we have to do to enjoy the boat.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 17:47   #6

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

I have small dogs that "don't" shed.... yeh, all dogs shed hair.
My dogs have life vests with handles, so before we get into the dink they get their legs dipped in the water. They don't like it, but it cuts down on the amount of sand and muck they carry onboard. If they still have "MPs" (muddy paws) then they stay on the deck until it dries up and I can wash then down with the deck water pump.
The next thing it to keep their hair cut short and have a powerful vacuum to suck up the fine hair they shed.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:17   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Cover the cushions with throws and don't use carpets. Carpets are traps for dirt.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:22   #8

It's part of having a dog... we have a portable vac which we use regularly. Can't do much which shedding dogs but learn to live with it and clean after them. Our two lived their whole lives going to the boat...it's their home too.. and they ARE dogs... When you feel obsessed about being all bristol... you become a slave to your dogs. But they do lick the plates clean!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000301 (2).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	64925   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010768.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	64926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P6190035.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	64927  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:40   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
It's part of having a dog... we have a portable vac which we use regularly. Can't do much which shedding dogs but learn to live with it and clean after them. Our two lived their whole lives going to the boat...it's their home too.. and they ARE dogs... When you feel obsessed about being all bristol... you become a slave to your dogs. But they do lick the plates clean!

There is a "wet dog" smell that is hard to live with, but Febreeze does a good job on it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 20:28   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We are lucky with our down the Bayou dogs! They are real Hienz 57 dogs but they don't shed!!! They make plenty of noise when folks get close, but shut up when told to! and are potty trained to blue pads ! the first few days aboard we put the pads where we wish then to go and after a couple of days they just use this spot ! Keeps things easy to clean up! Yep we love our little scum dogs !!
Old 31-07-2013, 20:48   #11

Boat: Catalina 34

I have a Siberian Husky, the shedding king of the dog world. Vacuum, vacuum, and then vacuum some more.
Old 31-07-2013, 21:33   #12

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Sheltie and samoyed mix (yeah) - the fluffy hair production is astounding. We have a small shop vac and use it almost daily for the clouds of hair. It's the price you pay for unconditional dog love.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 10:20   #13

As a couple actively planning to sell-up and sail, where my wife would appreciate a dog for companionship and the security factor it would bring to her.
I always said I wouldn't have a dog as it would be cruel to take a dog on a boat, when dogs need regular exercise, eat a shed-load of grub and can be noisy and hairy.
Could anyone suggest a breed of dog which appears to have good security image and doesn't shed loads of hair. I would also appreciate candid comments on dealing with toilet arrangements, exercise of dogs or lack of when voyaging afar, and any stories which would help 'sell' the idea to me? Or should I just get a plastic dog and a sound recording of barking?
Seadog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 10:31   #14

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Schnauzer shaved down. (He likes being shaved) Have one of those fake grass things to pee on. Swifter works wonders. Mine is a big guy standard size but loves to sleep so it works out. When we are able I take him to a dog park near where we dock. He loves marinas and people but has a scary bark. Perfect mix in my opinion. Great dog.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 11:29   #15

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Our little 6.5 lb.Pommapoo does not shed....unfortunately I do. I use one of those lint rollers and roll it along the floor and carpets daily. Gets all the dust bunnies and my long gray and blond hair. Get them at the dollar store!
Use the deck wash to wash muddy paws in the cockpit.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote