Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2011, 15:08   #16

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music
Netting is highly recommended. One of my dogs thinks he know how to jump to the dock (mini-schnauzer) - he doesn't always judge right. The other dog, also a mini, has learned that he loves to swim and jumps in at will or anytime a duck/goose is near. They have life vests and always wear them on deck, but the net has put and end to the DOB rescue routines.
I also have to keep them on a leash in the dink since they exhibit the same behaviors while riding in the dink as they do on the sail boat.
I dyed the net black so it would look better - my hull is black.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 16:13   #17

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Must get those nets....this is Boggie. Swims like a fish but also 'fell' off the dock 3 different times. So the life jacket is pretty much mandatory. He is blonde...

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 16:29   #18

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
In terms of boat bucks, netting is not expensive. Better to have it and not need it than the reverse!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 16:48   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Since we didn't put up netting for the two children we raised aboard from infancy to adulthood, we can't take the risk of putting up netting for our dog. What would our children think if they visited and considered our concern for dog safety!
Old 15-01-2011, 17:08   #20

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Nets are good, we've had them for 8 years, haven't lost a child, grandchild, dog, or cat yet. Make sure you get good quality such as a commercial fishing supply co, or such. Originally I didn't put them on for others, I just didn't want to get in our frigid waters to rescue anyone.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 17:10   #21

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Funny Captain Force, but really my older children didn't mind.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 22:40   #22

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24
Smile Life vests in larger sizes?

I like the Body Glove design posted by Chadlaroche. Especially the carrying handle. I will have to get them for my puppies...Do they make them in Great Dane sizes I wonder Seriously I doubt if I will ever get these two on a boat. Weighing around 150lbs each, the black one is blind and the brindle has separation anxiety...Still, I wouldn't have to worry about pirates I would need a net 6 foot high to keep them in a boat though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3491s.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	22839  
IceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 06:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Not to politicize this thread, but my cat/chief engineer, Scupper, is laughing about the fact that dogs need nets.

You've made his day.
my cat is laughing at both the net and your cat
rgds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	face_043.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	22848  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:01   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
I sail with our two standard poodles on my Tornado Cat. They tended to want to get as far forward as possible and let the ears fly back. toenails don't give much traction on fiberglass so the first abrupt speed change sends them flying off the pointy end. They have learned to stay on the high side of the tramp, usually with front paws on the cross pipe. they even have learned to keep out of the running lines. ALWAYS wear dog floatation - Tornados capsize. They now sail on our Camper & Nicholson but the companionway is trouble for them. On deck they look for a warm lap. Yes - I would also recommend the netting especially with a flush deck-to-edge detail. We have an 8-inch high thwart all around. Nets also keep other stuff from falling in.

Hope this worked. supposed to be a photo of my four-legged kids. Also in my photos. http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...p?i=7474&c=512
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9050079 small.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	22849  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 13:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I sail with our two standard poodles on my Tornado Cat. They tended to want to get as far forward as possible and let the ears fly back. toenails don't give much traction on fiberglass so the first abrupt speed change sends them flying off the pointy end. They have learned to stay on the high side of the tramp, usually with front paws on the cross pipe. they even have learned to keep out of the running lines. ALWAYS wear dog floatation - Tornados capsize. They now sail on our Camper & Nicholson but the companionway is trouble for them. On deck they look for a warm lap. Yes - I would also recommend the netting especially with a flush deck-to-edge detail. We have an 8-inch high thwart all around. Nets also keep other stuff from falling in.

Hope this worked. supposed to be a photo of my four-legged kids. Also in my photos. Sid And Mia - Warm lap Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
just wondering if those life jackets ar hot for pet?
also are they obligatory when you have pets on board?
the more I read about it the less I want a pet friend on board...it sure would be nice to cudle up at night...but traveling maight be a problem...if I was to stay local maybe?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 13:52   #26
cruiser

i will need to figure out how to get my cat into a pet vest... although i am fairly sure she wont be on deck...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 14:30   #27

Boat: boat less ATM
Kaspar de wonda Dawg (see profile pic) has a thing about jet skis - HE HATES THEM. He chases them furiously around the deck of our cat (boat not pussy).

His first over boarding happened before I erected nets when he kept going off the port bow and did a creditable half pike into the water. Luckily we were at anchor and he makes quite a spash. He swam around to the stern but was quite a hoist on board. We call the net "the Dingo Fence" now. He had terrible postmuzzle drip for weeks afterwards.

He also has a PFD (pet flotation device) I bought from the US for retrievers that is high visibility (to stop trigger happy hunters taking a pot shot) with TWO water actuated strobes. (I work on oil rigs and one rig had to throw away a hundred perfectly good brand new life jacket strobes which were not compliant with Brazil's regs - it never ceases to amaze me the wastage in the oil industry).

NO K de WD's PFD, it does not have a whistle "for attracting attention".

Kaspar hates his PFD even more than he hates jet skis.
If we are crossing a coastal bar or sailing at night, I put it on him and he instantly just lies down on the bridgedeck floor and just does not move until I take it off.

I also bought him expensive dog rock climbing boots but he and the wife won't tolerate them. He just stands there trying to lift all four feet off the deck at once LOL. I reassured the wife he woould get used to the boots but she won't let me put them on him. Ho Hum

Episo0de #2 He walked off a marina dock once when he was with my wife. He has this stupid habit of walking while looking backwards, if a dog or cat on another boat gets his attention. He weighs 45 kgs when he is dry and my wife had a hell of a job getting him back onto the dock as it was late at night and there was no one around. To make matters worse, the marina was in Cairns and there was a resident salt water crocodile that would often lunge at people on the walkways at night.

She was in tears when she got back to the boat and I really copped it when I asked why she and the dog were so wet. He now has to have his lead on when he walks down the docks.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote