Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:56   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig
Question Interior Decorating Your Sailboat ?

So we bought the sailboat and love it but I would like to make it our home for at least 6 months less one day of the year. Any ideas out there on how to decorate a sailboat? our sailboat is a Island Packet 35, so not huge but still lots of room to work with.

Happy boating
Velma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Interior decorating your sailboat?

gobs. Why don't you start with pictures of what you have to work with and an idea of how much of a do it yourselfer you are and what kind of budget you have.

And maybe a few pictures of what you like...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I have an IP35 that I live aboard full-time. It's a great boat with tons of room. My first suggestion is that you have the hideous settee cushions recovered. Secondly, you could maybe find a couple of nice plastic plants to put here or there, and maybe hang some small pictures on the bulkheads. That's about all I've done in mine, and I think it has added a lot. Below is a picture of my new upholstery (Sunbrella indoor sailcloth).

well, I tried to add the image but apparently I suck at the internet, thus the link.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 13:11   #4

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Found another interior pic for you.

The flag you see on the propane locker bulkhead was from my first Bahamas cruise. Maybe you have some personal items like this with sentimental value that could be framed and hung somewhere?
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 14:46   #5

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I have an IP35 that I live aboard full-time. It's a great boat with tons of room. My first suggestion is that you have the hideous settee cushions recovered. Secondly, you could maybe find a couple of nice plastic plants to put here or there, and maybe hang some small pictures on the bulkheads. That's about all I've done in mine, and I think it has added a lot. Below is a picture of my new upholstery (Sunbrella indoor sailcloth).

well, I tried to add the image but apparently I suck at the internet, thus the link.
the Settee has been addressed so thats been looked after. The silk plants would add to the atmosphere so thats the next step for me to find. Thanks for the ideas. One other question....what do you use for window treatments?

Velma
Velma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 20:22   #6

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'
Re: Interior Decorating Your Sailboat ?

My mom works with canvas and she made curtains out of sunbrella or fabric on one side, and a foil like material on the other. It's really good for insulation and looks great!

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 20:37   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I think your ports may be a lot different from ours, but here's what we did on our Wauquiez Pretorien. The curtains are on shock cords and you can open them and close them as needed. The material is the same as the settee and the backside has a foil covering for heat reflection. Works well for long skinny ports like ours.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3387.jpg
Views:	22731
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	29591
Old 12-07-2011, 21:37   #8

There are as many things to do to your boat as there is to a house ashore, but you need to keep in mind two things:
  1. Everything on a boat should really be used. Pictures and other bulkhead jewelry aside (which must be seriously afixed in place - we're talking four fasteners here, not a simple picture hanger) you do not want to bring in delicate throws and cushions which are not actually used while in port because they just take up space and are difficult to store when underway where they won't get wet or damaged.
  2. A place for everything and everything in its place. Don't bring it aboard if you don't already have a place planned for it when you are sailing. Many great decorating ideas are actually storage units: a decorative cushion which is really a cover over a folded lap blanket, or his and her shore bags which hold beach shoes and other shore-going gear.
Boat interiors can be painted - plan on it if your boat is not new (interior gelcoats tend to yellow with age; a small touch of blue added to white paint will keep it looking brighter longer.) Shiny, matte, and oiled wood surfaces give very different 'feel' to an interior, but changing the finish that is in place can be a lot of work.

Like houses ashore, the galley and the head are the most expensive spaces (if you exclude the engine room and the navigator's toys); if you plan to redo these spaces consider talking to a Corian contractor - it is quite possible they can mold a one-piece cabinet top + sink(s).

Lighting fixtures can really alter a space, both in where the light is focused and the fixture appearances. Cabin lighting can seriously impact the boat's energy budget, so plan carefully (look into LED lighting options.)

Water and sun take their toll in boats. Avoid things which fade or stain easily.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 21:48   #9

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

We use shock cords for curtain lines as well. Bought some off the shelf valance type curtains from Walmart or Target. The cushion covers in our boat were made by my wife to match an earthy tone idea she had. Different patterns for different rooms. Can't go wrong with real plants either. Several varieties use little water and help clean the air.

LED lighting is also the rage, think about some indirect lighting to give your boat a classy, yet low wattage feel.

Some people we know have small area rugs on their floors to give their boat a homey feel. Outdoor carpeting has come along way from astro-turf, and you can find some pretty classy outdoor carpets for very little money.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 22:18   #10

There is a boat on You Tube "Rose" I think that had some pretty impressive macrame curtains. That could be a nice project on long cruises if you like that sort of thing.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 23:08   #11

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I think your ports may be a lot different from ours, but here's what we did on our Wauquiez Pretorien. The curtains are on shock cords and you can open them and close them as needed. The material is the same as the settee and the backside has a foil covering for heat reflection. Works well for long skinny ports like ours.
Attachment 29591
Great idea about the foil backing for heat reflection, I'm having blinds made so I'll make sure they have some too, thanks.
Old 13-07-2011, 03:23   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

For a quick makeover:-

Upholstery.......semi fitted throwovers / elasticated cushion covers.
Curtains.
Carpet and mats.
Cushions - a couple of cushions just make the place look more civilised and also useful for wedging self in.

On my boat the vinyl cushions are 40 odd years old and still in good condition - just in bright red that kinda dominates the saloon (30 foot boat) and whilst still good does look dated.........like most other jobs onboard I am part way through addressing that,......the idea being that the new covers can simply go into the washing machine (or bucket ) as needed......not entirely a DOJ invention, seems to work ok on a few other boats where the upholstery is too good to bin, but just looks tired or very dated.....and cheap too / a lot more within the scope of DIY.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 13:12   #13

Some decorative pillows (maybe from places you visited?). And if the stitching is not too fragile, you could always nap on them during passages. For us some pillows from Walmart worked well: soft, resilient, and easy to clean. With all abuse, humidity, and forgetting to close the stateroom hatch one or two times they are still holding up 4 years later.

Over our travels we also collected some wall art and baskets - they look nice and remind us of various places.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:42   #14
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Just some ideas: Bring in professionals for tricky items such as slipcovering, window coverings, flooring, refinishing, joinerwork. Don't forget that boats move, sometimes violently. Forget cute. Decorator items must be durable and well secured. Simpler is better in avoiding cluttered look. Buy throw pillow covers, then stuff them with down vest and other extra soft goods for storage. Otherwise throw pills are just in the way and they fall off the sofa when you heel.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:53   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i dont do curtains--they get VERY VERY dirty very very fast. i have teak interior--isnt anywhere to put anything--i have a pic of my uncle and one of me, and one of a boat inside my main saloon. after i mounted my oil lamps, in my 41, there isnt much room left for other stuff. my gardening remains out doors. cat has run of boat.
i found on my round bronze opening ports i can make babushkas of bandanas and keep those on ports when open or closed....
i place lil bllankets--lap rugs--on my settees for kat to lie on--he knows exactly what and where he has for sleeping by those throws.. throw pillows get thrown out. my pillows are usable as lean on for reading pillows and as sleeping pillows.

nothing like coming into a dark boat while underway and slipping and falling on throw pillows or scatter rugs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, paracelle, sailboat