Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-10-2007, 15:45   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
Since we're posting pictures...
Your photo links aren't working, Amfivena - at least, not for me. I'd like to see your little buddies.

TaoJones

Old 23-10-2007, 18:42   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have no idea if the following product comes anywhere close to its claims, but the ad keeps showing up on my homepage, so my hope is that I can somehow "transfer" the cat box mojo to someone else.

CatGenie - The World's Only Self-Flushing, Self Washing Cat Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
Is a typical midsize sailboat big enough for two cats?
Probably, Amfivena, but just to be on the safe side, get a catboat or a catamaran.

And when your sailing days are done, move ashore on some balmy, tropical isle, and open a cathouse.

TaoJones

Old 23-10-2007, 23:34   #18

Boat: Irwin sloop
Twenty some years ago I inherited a young tomcat. He was litterbox trained and was definitly an indoor cat.The litterbox was an unpleasant way of dealing with what happens. I was living aboard at the time and the close confines dictated a change in atmosphere and one of my longtime livaboard neighbors offered her help. After selecting the best spot for overboard discharge the litterbox was moved toward the place on the cockpit gunwale oposite the dock. The move was made in 6" increments to keep the cat from being confused by the process. It took a few weeks to arrive at the chosen spot and by that time I had made a secure wooden frame to set it in just outside the gunwale. The next few steps were completed over a two week period to avoid ruining our great progress. Next we removed 2" from the bottom of the litterbox furthest from the boat. then another 2", and repeat till the bottom is gone. Then remove the remainder of the litterbox, and disasemble the framework one piece at a time. Moony allways went to the same spot and never had an accident. He continued this habit on the next boat without the slightest problem for 9 more years. Jesse
Old 24-10-2007, 04:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jesse exhibits the virtue of a Cato, and the inventiveness of a Newton.

“Patience is the greatest of all virtues.” ~ Cato the Elder

“If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.” ~ Isaac Newton

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 05:48   #20

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
When we headed off to the Caribe we took both our cats. They were 11 and 12 when we left. They were raised as indoor cats and the only time we ever let them out of the house was in our small fenced in back yard under a watchfull eye.

We moved them onboard and left a month later. They adjusted after a bit. They had tons of new hidey holes and smells that kept them busy. Because they were older nad not raised around boats we never let them wander off the boat and only let them walk the decks when we were there. They also we not allowed out while we were underway. fear of losing one overboard. Though Biff on occasion would lay at the door just in the cockpit while underway on nights. Katra just preferred to sleep by the salon window underway.

In caribe we had a hard time finding clumping litter so we tried sand, one cat didn't like it, wood chips, etc, etc. So we would stock up when we found it and just used a cat pan with a strainer to filter the clumps out every day as part of the daily chores.

The cruise would not have been the same without them!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 20:15   #21

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Your photo links aren't working, Amfivena - at least, not for me. I'd like to see your little buddies.

TaoJones
Sorry - between grad school, work and a baby internet time is precious. Plenty of pictures of the whole clan can be found on our website...

http://www.amfivena.com

Cats specifically at...

Cats

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: