Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 19:24   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I Would Love to Go to a Marina Where No Pets Were Allowed

I have found that in marinas that have dedicated pooch poo areas....the stench on a hot day is awful.

Don't get me wrong...I love dogs....my favorite one is an old Blond Lab "yard dog" that shows up every time I pull into a particular yard....waiting for his milk-bone-----which I carry in my truck as bribery----for boat-dog owning owners.

And please.....use a short leash....not one of those retracto-leashes......
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 19:43   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Agree, I hate carrying something down a long dock and some dog gets territorially or just wants to sniff or jump. I really dislike people that dont control their animals. On your boat I dont care, but I dont want them running loose.
Old 28-08-2009, 20:24   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
On the poo issue, plastic bags are cheap and I don't understand people who don't just carry a couple with them and pick up after their pets. Oh, and putting the poo in a bag and leaving the bag sitting on the ground is NOT the solution - I hate it when people do that...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 08:24   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i keep my kat on a short leash-please do same with doggies--they are obnoxious when they want to get into the things owned by others and pee all over everything--donot think they donot!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 18:54   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Cruising life is just life. If people have pets in houses we cannot forbid them have pets on boats.

Interestingly, I have just heard that here in Canary Islands the new trend is for small pensions to advertise as "children free zone" (sic!).

Just imagine - a quiet marina: no pets, no kids .... would be pretty lifeless, wouldn't it?

But the stench of cat's and dog's poo is just one step too far. And I team with the Chief Engineer on this one.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 19:32   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Funny,

I feel the same about some children. I take my dog into a restaurant and he curls up under the table and makes not a sound. Meanwhile the heard of lill darlings are screaming, throwing food, and making a mess of things.

Of course where I CAN bring my dog it is outside seating which is good because I am better able to escape the screaming brats raising a ruckus inside.

ObTW, he will seek out the most remote location to go in. If nothing acceptable can be found I always carry a bag, and put it in the trash.

Wonder if the smokers might learn the same thing some day....

The dogs are NOT the problem.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 19:47   #7

Boat: Islander 37 'Taku Wind'
I can deal with the pets and children. Now the loud and obnoxious drunks are what set me off... but that's what anchors are for.
Old 29-08-2009, 20:03   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
it is too bad that most folks with kats donot take such immaculate care to keep the stink out of the poo box!! i keep min eclean and dry and out of sight as much as possible!! cats have been a tradition on sailing boats for centuries and are considered to be good luck aboard----i can appreciate that as we werent killed by lightning when we found no way to avoid lightning storms a few weeks back--whew--kat is perfect even with the litter box thing LOL--keeps out of the boat any small intruder such as rat mouse or birdie--except our hitchhiker we had once--he allowed that sweet tired out birdie to stay for one night LOL--he also keeps out the 2 legged variety that do not like kats LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 20:04   #9

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Agree Chief. At the local marina some owners of dogs are very good. Others are not. The ones who are not tend to have the large dogs which annoy you and crap everywhere.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 21:52   #10

Quit whinning, old folks that walk to slow down the dock get on my dog and my nerves.
You can allways anchor out.
I have almost never noticed a stinch at the poo areas except the odd time right after they do there buisness and the few moments befor I or who evers dog picks up the buisness in a bag.
The only down side to the poo areas is the grass always looks horrible with dead spots due to the urine.
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 10:13   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
I completely agree with what was said on drunks in the marinas. Where I am marinas are prime nightlife locations and it is real difficult to sleep on weekends. The good news is that in Spain the locals are not aggressive after a couple of shots. They are noisy (anyway) but they are OK. It was not this good everywhere I have been.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 10:28   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin325 View Post
Quit whinning, old folks that walk to slow down the dock get on my dog and my nerves.
You can allways anchor out.
I have almost never noticed a stinch at the poo areas except the odd time right after they do there buisness and the few moments befor I or who evers dog picks up the buisness in a bag.
The only down side to the poo areas is the grass always looks horrible with dead spots due to the urine.
I agree with Irwin325 - it isn't the feces that produces the intense odor, it's the urine - particularly that of the male dogs. At my house in Nevada, the unrelenting summer sun turns dog poop into little petrified logs in less than a day.

Recently, the Architectural Design Review Committee paid a visit to my home to determine if I would be allowed to make some exterior changes. While they were there, one of the members noticed a few of the little shriveled-up dog logs and the foul odor where my male cocker spaniel concentrates his urine-markings, and asked me to pick up the poop! She didn't realize that if there were no poop in the yard at all, it would smell just as badly in that area.

The only solution is to dilute the urine with water - a very precious commodity here in the Mojave Desert, and seldom used for such purposes.

TaoJones
Old 31-08-2009, 06:40   #13

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
We keep our cats indoors in marinas - they're only at liberty when we're on the hook or a swing mooring. The only ones to suffer their kitty poops is us - a great incentive to being fastidious about catbox maintenance.

That being said, I really don't mind marina pets if they're leashed or well trained. Same with children...
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 06:51   #14

OT

I would love to go anyplace with ever present rock and elevator music were not allowed. Oh and noisy motor cycles, jet skiis, and cigarrette boats and any vessel with a generator on deck.

I like quiet.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 06:58   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Kind of an unfair call against old people! You can train your dog, and kids. You just can't avoid old age. Unless you are thinking the alternative? You should be cautious of old people. They have experience, and can be damn right deceitful, and cruel! I know this for a fact, because I am old, and slow..............i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets