Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:11   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: I Would Love to Go to a Marina Where No Pets Were Allowed

the problem with dogs is their owners, not the critter, as critter will do as you train it to do --leaving dog poo on the ground instead of following rules and picking it up is beyond insensitive. mostparks and marinas i have seen have dog poo pick up laws--evenher ein mexico. the other thing bad about dog owners is they allow the dog to brk at everything indiscrimminately--that is so unnecessary. obedience training actually WORKS, USE IT.
my dog says MEOUW. as cats are a lot more family oriented and more INTELLIGENT than are dogs.
my momma was a siberian husky breeder, now is an obedience and therapy dog trainer. if they can obedience train, any dog can. so have em trained properly before you inflict em on others, please.
there are 2 sets of 2 dogs each, here--untrained and bark at everything, INDISCRIMINATELY, and owners dont give a damn where they poo, and wont pick it up--despite rules.

a pet is only as smart as its owner.....isnt the critter that is bad--is the human disrespecting others(bad owner) who make it nasty for others...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36   #92

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

+1, Zee... we prefer the meow type dogs as well... in our neighborhood, if we see a dog defecating and the owner doesn't pick up the mess, we will get a plastic bag and return the pile to the front porch of the offending owner. Rarely do we have to do that twice. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:43   #93

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Folks that don't pick up their dogs crap irritate the hell out of me. They give the rest of us, considerate dog owners, a black eye. This post is a perfect example..

The problem isn't folks with dogs that crap. It's ******** with dogs that crap. Too bad they can't been picked out from a crowd... If you see someone who's dog takes a crap and they walk away. Get a bag, pick it up, take it to the owner and tell them they forgot something as you hand it to them. 2nd time deposit it in their cockpit while they are away!

Also long leases aren't the problem. I use a 16 foot retract that gets, via a thumb button, held to 3' whenever someone gets close and who doesn't need or want my dog sniffing their leg... Again it's all about the owners being respectful of others... A concept that's getting way to little use these days...

Please try not to paint us all with the same brush....
At least the marina's I have been in, the problem has been the land based people who like to walk their dog at the marina. They have the large dogs and rarely give a damn about cleaning up since it's not in their immediate neighborhood.
I do the same as you...retract the leash if another person gets close. A friend of mine has Great Danes that are crotch sniffers. I refused after awhile to take girlfriends over to his house as it was an embarrassing hassle every time. It got to a point where I would lightly smack them on the nose when they tried the behavior. Still.. my friend would never train them to stand away from people.
I will also say Cat people are no better. For soem reason because it's a cat, it has the right to wonder the docks, sleep on others boats and spray at will. Cat crap smells no better than dog...sorry.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25   #94

my cat is on a leash and NEVER leaves the safety of HIS boat---other cats that do free roaming get killed by rat poison--same with dogs--is equal opportunity pet killing here....is the OWNER not the pet that is the universal problem....

ther eare many responsible owners, then there logarithmically larger numbers of those who dont give a poo about the area in which they reside...

and they ALLL say--"isnt MY precious yappy poo that is pooing on your dock--LOL--pix work.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41   #95

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Kids Dogs, all the same ! They have to trained! My kids never caused a problem in a resterant. or a marina ! and our dogs are better trained then a lot of adults! My daddy always told me to train a child or a dog ya must first be smarter then they are !! just a thought
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55   #96
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Isn't it marvelous how the good lord created cat and kitchen appliances in that same convenient size? <VBG>

How's that old joke about cats & dogs go? The dog says "You feed me, you play with me, you shelter me, you keep me out of traffic, you're so good to me, you must be God." The cat says "You feed me, you play with me, you shelter me, you keep me out of traffic, you're so good to me, I MUST BE GOD!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:21   #97
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
+1, Zee... we prefer the meow type dogs as well... in our neighborhood, if we see a dog defecating and the owner doesn't pick up the mess, we will get a plastic bag and return the pile to the front porch of the offending owner. Rarely do we have to do that twice. Phil

Yeah I had a neighbor do that to me once, only she put it on my car ...

and it wasn't from my dog. My dog never ran free, and we always picked up after him on a walk. She just assumed. But she had an ugly soul.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22   #98
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
At least the marina's I have been in, the problem has been the land based people who like to walk their dog at the marina. They have the large dogs and rarely give a damn about cleaning up since it's not in their immediate neighborhood.
I do the same as you...retract the leash if another person gets close. A friend of mine has Great Danes that are crotch sniffers. I refused after awhile to take girlfriends over to his house as it was an embarrassing hassle every time. It got to a point where I would lightly smack them on the nose when they tried the behavior. Still.. my friend would never train them to stand away from people.
I will also say Cat people are no better. For soem reason because it's a cat, it has the right to wonder the docks, sleep on others boats and spray at will. Cat crap smells no better than dog...sorry.

My cats stay on the boat. They're in the cabin when the boat is moving and the cockpit is completely netted in. They love it in the cockpit, and they stay safe (cats who roam free have half the lifespan of housecats).
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:24   #99

i have yet to see that assumed behavior(thinking of self as a god) in any cat i ever had living with me--i train them and i can herd them---cats are easy to understand, very family oriented critters. easy to train, and they give unconditional love. they will pet you with their paws as you walk by them. they will groom you when they sit with ye, they will get your attention by patting you on the shoulder for your attention. they will talk to you with different sounds--many sounds come from each cat. they are most interesting critters. smart also--engineering smart for a critter--they count and measure distance swell as catch and fetch....watch a cat for a couple of days...very interesting.
dog lovers make up all kinds of sayings about cats, as they do not understand em..LOL

i have seen the result of a scared cat in netting. not pretty. i have also seen results of a scared cat on a leash--after the mauling, both. netting mauled the scared cat in san diego, and the leash was caught on the cat in king harbor...ouch and nasty to find.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:53   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
My cats stay on the boat. They're in the cabin when the boat is moving and the cockpit is completely netted in. They love it in the cockpit, and they stay safe (cats who roam free have half the lifespan of housecats).
...chicken-chow Meow
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-10-2012, 13:02   #101
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...chicken-chow Meow
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 13:23   #102

rodlmao
Old 11-10-2012, 13:38   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I just love the recipe for 'kitty fry rice'.
Old 11-10-2012, 13:45   #104
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Kids Dogs, all the same !
I liked this one!

I take it back, as they get older the dog probably still likes you and doesn't talk back all the time assuming that somehow YOU have suddenly gotten stupid!
Old 11-10-2012, 13:47   #105
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
didn't we have a "how to cook cat" thread a year or so ago?

Tags
pets