Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-09-2012, 17:55   #61

Boat: Tartan 33
Please accept this cyper-beer as a peace offering.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 21:45   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: I'm in the "quit whining" camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What some of you need is a nice little perfect house on a cul de sac. A bunch of rules that include what color you paint and that your grass shall be between 1.25 and 1.5" long. Oh yea, lets come up with a lot more rules that must be adhered to for boating.... that would be great.
  • I say we cover all marinas because the birds sh*t on the boats too, or we could try those propane cannons that go off every minute 24/7 to scare the birds away... yea and lets put them right next to the complainers boats.. .yea!
  • Oh and is there any way we can get rid of that awful stench from the yucky bottom when the tide goes out? maybe spray the whole area with bleach at low tide?
  • I say no cleaning fish or throwing stuff in the garbage cans either that crap smells terrible.....,
  • oh and no running diesels in the marina at all. Limit 30 seconds when you depart only, those fumes really do bother people.....
  • Vents off holding tanks must exit into the boat where by breathing the fumes they will be processed to not smell so bad for your neighbor when exhaled....
The first few posts in this thread made me cringe. Thanks to this one, and to all those with a better perspective on the good life we share near the water (albeit too closely sometimes, yes).

Old 02-10-2012, 22:01   #63

Re: I Would Love to Go to a Marina Where No Pets Were Allowed

Sign me up for the no pet marina/anchorage group. But luckily I have never had a problem with dogs where I live. I know that I couldn't deal with owning one though personally, and don't have a problem with other people's if they are good dogs.

Oh, and the no diesel generator policy sounds good too.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:04   #64

The answer my friend is just blowing in the wind - go sailing.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:53   #65
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Uhh... crossed wires here somewhere...? Are you all replying to what "I" said?

Cause I like me just fine, thank you, and I like my dog too. I like you guys all as well. I even like most people I meet, just not the ones who allow their ill trained children and pets to run wild and don't clean up after them.

Those were the PITAs I referred to...

And the cranky pants comment was pretty tongue in cheek (is there a tongue in cheek face?)

Although I personally would find an environment with no pets or kids pretty sterile, not peaceful.

I agree with you and Cesar whoever, the dog whisperer. When these things happen, it's a people problem, not a dog problem. I wouldn't want to be in a marina where dogs weren't welcome. I also wouldn't want to be in a marina where dog owners weren't required to act in simply polite ways (clean up your dog's poop; don't let them run free, that's what dog parks are for; etc.)

I have two cats. I've gone to considerable amounts of time, energy and expense to keep them contained on the boat. I have a friend who has a small bird as a pet on his boat. His bird does not not need to be terrorized by my cats because I let them roam free. Actually they're thrilled to be in the screened-in cockpit, where they truly spend 99% of their time when we're at the dock.
Old 02-10-2012, 23:20   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Funny,

I feel the same about some children. I take my dog into a restaurant and he curls up under the table and makes not a sound. Meanwhile the heard of lill darlings are screaming, throwing food, and making a mess of things.

Of course where I CAN bring my dog it is outside seating which is good because I am better able to escape the screaming brats raising a ruckus inside.

ObTW, he will seek out the most remote location to go in. If nothing acceptable can be found I always carry a bag, and put it in the trash.

Wonder if the smokers might learn the same thing some day....

The dogs are NOT the problem.
The difference: children are essential to the continuation of the human race, and you and I were both once those same children (don't say you were some angel and your parents never let you utter a loud cry in public)

I told my wife that if she ever finds me treating a dog like a person to put a bullet in me.

Sincerely,

A several times over again dog owner who loves dogs, but sees the CLEAR line between the inclusion of children in society versus dogs. One is part of humanity, the other is a pet.
Old 02-10-2012, 23:52   #67

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

The difference: children are essential to the continuation of the human race, and you and I were both once those same children (don't say you were some angel and your parents never let you utter a loud cry in public)

I told my wife that if she ever finds me treating a dog like a person to put a bullet in me.

Sincerely,

A several times over again dog owner who loves dogs, but sees the CLEAR line between the inclusion of children in society versus dogs. One is part of humanity, the other is a pet.
A study was done, England. Dog owners who's pets always waited by the door for the human to come home.

The people had pagers that would go off at random times, Sometimes not for days. Once the pager went off, the human doing whatever, working, at the movies, shopping, vacation, whatever, said to themselves, I am going home.

In almost every case, once the human made the decision to go home, that is the exact time the pet would change its activity and go wait by the door, and remain there waiting for the human to get home. In some cases, that trip was two days.

This was a documentary shown on BBC, 20 years ago.

The reason people bond so well with pets, and do so at levels higher than human bonds, is pets get inside our heads, to understand and accept us in ways people never do.

If you have never traded a bond with a pet, you are missing out. My best friend is a Maltese I adopted in feb. He is very special. My wife is not that much into pets. She sees them as another chore. However, I think she is starting to see an intellect in Sugar Bee.

You can never really trust people. Brothers kill brothers. Mothers drive cars with babies strapped into child seats, into lakes so they will be more attractive to boyfriends. No best friend pet would ever do that.

People have pets that warn them they are going to have a seizure hours or minutes before they have one. Science has no clue how that works, but science does accept people in some cases, have that relationship with their pet.

We have macaws. 8 of them. One of them once said, after he broke something: "I am a very very very bad bad bird. He only said it once, never said it again. My wife and I both heard him. We raised him from 3 weeks old. We have never once called him a bad bird. Where he stitched that sentence together from, who knows???

Over the years, I have said the name of my store and the phrase, may I help you?, tens of thousands of times when I answer my store phone.

I have adopted birds, that have never been to my store, or been around other birds that have been in my store. I have heard these birds say my store name and then, may I help you? when a phone rings. How do you explain that?
Old 03-10-2012, 00:31   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You honestly think you can bond with a dog more than a human, including your own child? Dude, that is crazy.
Old 03-10-2012, 00:32   #69

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

And don't forget that dogs are the only creatures on the planet, other than humans (and not many of them), with the ability to show unconditional love.

Old 03-10-2012, 00:42   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
And don't forget that dogs are the only creatures on the planet, other than humans (and not many of them), with the ability to show unconditional love.

There's a guy in this marina who sits around smoking pot all day and acts like a total a-hole (which is weird, since those things normally don't go hand in hand). He takes a dump and has the dog on a leash outside the stall waiting for him, still on the leash he's holding on the toilet. The dogs spends its entire life in the cabin of a 26' sailboat getting smoked out.

I can see why no human loves him unconditionally.
Old 03-10-2012, 00:45   #71

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
There's a guy in this marina who sits around smoking pot all day and acts like a total a-hole (which is weird, since those things normally don't go hand in hand). He takes a dump and has the dog on a leash outside the stall waiting for him, still on the leash he's holding on the toilet. The dogs spends its entire life in the cabin of a 26' sailboat getting smoked out.

I can see why no human loves him unconditionally.
But his dog does. His dog will love him when no one else will, no matter how much of an a-hole he is.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:23   #72

I think the bad owner syndrome is endemic everywhere. Lots of truckers are carrying dogs in the trucks with them nowadays, myself included. Bridget, my venerable Corgi companion, goes with me virtually everywhere. She's got about 300,000 miles on her now. My 'pet' peeves are exactly like everyone's here. These lousy pet parents won't clean up after their kids. It's not just the big burly men either. I see the gals doing...er, not doing it.
It makes me wonder about what their house/trailer/circus tent looks like. These folks shouldn't have pets, and quite honestly, if they can't care for a dog, how can they take care of a child?
Of course, they consider a dog as an object, not a sentient thinking being that has the ability to have many of the same emotions and needs as a human. These people are biological elitists.
Now, I'm not saying that critters are the same as us, but they DO have thoughts and emotions, and if we pay attention to them, we can learn a lot. Especially about ourselves. Some of which we may not like.
Most of these type of pet owners are just that, owners. Their pets are just about on the same level to them as their car. They get bored with it, they just dump it.

Bridget, just like her predecessor, gives me more than I can explain. She's my security system (in fact, I claim her on my taxes as such), my confidant (she rarely talks back, and never ever tells!!), my exercise nag (walk time and frisbee are the thing, tug-o-war with a rope in between), she checks on me to see if I'm tired after about 3 hours of driving, my alarm clock (0730, at the latest) and lets me know if we've been out too long (usually about 3 months). I can't repay her enough for what she does for me.
People that don't bond with their pets are missing out on why they are with us. Bridget has taught me to control my temper better. To be more patient. To lighten up.
Picking up her poo a few times a day is a small price for all that.

But then, Corgi's are special anyway!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0137.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	47549
Old 03-10-2012, 01:51   #73

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Wonderful post.

Look at what humans have done to this planet. Strip malls, highway systems, man made clouds that change weather patterns all over the world with our constant 24/7 jet planes, not to mention buses, trains, cars etc.

Wars upon wars upon wars. Tearing down billions of square miles of rain forests. And on and on.

Look at your pet. What has his kind ever done to harm the earth? Wars? Strip mining? Leaking nuclear reactors?

Even while we rape the planet, our pets somehow look the other way to accept us, and in small and sometimes profound ways, influence us to be better people.

If you have a rewarding relationship with a parent, child, spouse, it is no doubt because somewhere a pet has worked tirelessly with you and taught you how to love.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:26   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The problem, as someone said earlier - is with the people (parents) not the dogs or children. Both dogs and children can be raised to be polite and well-behaved. RH , no I was not exactly a perfect angel growing up, but I did toe the mark when my parents said "calm down and be quiet" Or "play quietly, the adults need to talk".

Screaming kids, food throwing in restaurants are just signs or poor parenting. The same is true regarding ill-behaved dogs.

Our scotty goes almost everywhere with us and cause zero problems. At restaurants she curls up under a chair and the only effort needed is to ask the restaurant for a bowl of water.

And we always carry a couple of bags if she happens to have to poo.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb
The problem, as someone said earlier - is with the people (parents) not the dogs or children. Both dogs and children can be raised to be polite and well-behaved. RH , no I was not exactly a perfect angel growing up, but I did toe the mark when my parents said "calm down and be quiet" Or "play quietly, the adults need to talk".

Screaming kids, food throwing in restaurants are just signs or poor parenting. The same is true regarding ill-behaved dogs.

Our scotty goes almost everywhere with us and cause zero problems. At restaurants she curls up under a chair and the only effort needed is to ask the restaurant for a bowl of water.

And we always carry a couple of bags if she happens to have to poo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3348090137.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	47550

How could you you not love this?

Tags
pets

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: