Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 05:37   #46
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I Would Love to Go to a Marina Where No Pets Were Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Chris; one of my most favorite memories is of picking up a butt in a parking lot that had been thrown out a van window and walkin to the door of the van with a helpful smile on my face and an expectant look. When she rolled down her window I offered her back her butt and in my most sincere voice said "Oh excuse me, you dropped this".

She just sort of stuttered "thank you" and took it with this baffled look.

that was sweet.
Off topic... but... I once did exactly that when a child threw his McDonald's bag out of a car window when stuck in school traffic. Mother smiled and took it in, with a sweet "thank you", to the hoots of cars in front and behind.

Then they got onto the expressway, trafiic moved again, and she threw it right back out of her driver's window. No wonder the kids are grow up so arrogant... (not all of them - there are one or two exceptions, and they know who they are).

Back on topic - in a country where dogs are hated and feared, and allowed hardly anywhere; I am always careful to carry a poop bag, and clean up. Our dog is consequently allowed in a Marina where dogs are banned because she is so friendly, and I am so anal about collected the poo!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:27   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am currently at the muni docks in sd--i am finding there seems to eb no leash law on his dock-- some rude soul allowed his dog on board MY boat--i would love a 50 cal at this point..... there is NO excuse for that rudeness.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 20:20   #48

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My apologies, Zee'... while I no longer berth in San Diego, any one who has been on a mooring in Glorietta Bay as long as you have and is preparing for the sleigh ride south deserves better treatment. There is no accounting nor understanding of individuals so rude and ignorant as to let their pets wander aboard anothers vessel under ANY circumstances unless it is the only island of refuge out of the water within 50 miles! Dog or cat, the pet would have been overboard in a heart beat if it was my boat. Let the owner drag the poor pet out of the drink! Just remember, there are many more you have met and will meet on your travels who will respect you and your home... fair wind and following seas... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 20:39   #49

the critters are ok but the owners are impossible-- when i mentioned to the perp on his way out of visiting hi sfriend on another boat-- he was acting like i was in the wrong-- i believe here is a leash law--i have yet to see anyone obey it--i have had boats on mooring fro a while , but i know manners and i know disrespect that is shown towards others. there really is no excuse for teh rudeness--is same with smokers of cigarettes outside my bedroom ports-- they stop and smoke with wind blowing into my boat--i am highly allergic to tobacco and its smoke--is plain rudeness and lack of consideration--selfishness--not picking up poo from doggie or smoking upwind from others without asking if ok--is all same thing.
i was raised "right"-oh well, my bad..LOL
meanwhile, as the folks's doggies are wandering on my boat, my cat wants to kill--i donot allow that behavior-- but kat isnt liking the doggie thing on his decks...i keep my kat on a leash on his own boat so he doesnt wander onto other folks's boats--i dont see why we have to put up with their lack of courtesy and bad manners. oh well..is usa--is rare to find good manners anymore. is much appreciated when i find folks with manners and courtesy.
i think isnt just me that deserves courtesy--i am just me--i think everyone should have respect until otherwise proven to not be deserving of same.
Old 03-04-2011, 23:35   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Doo unto others as you would have them doo unto you.

The golden rule applies to more than golden retrievers.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 21:37   #51

bubba rocks!!!!!!!
he hissed realllly good at the white fuzzy dog that wants to board our boat, showing lots of large kat teeth-- scared the critter nicely. loving this..... goooooooooooooooood kitty!!!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18   #52

I love my cat and my old dog but would never let them on board. They lose hair.. For same reason I never allow them inside my car. I love children, have three grown ones but wouldn't want a small child onboard my boat. To be honest, not much of a fan of them in a restaurant either
So, in a nutshell, I must be antisocial.
RealTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 19:36   #53

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

I think a few kids and a few pets (and a few bikinis) makes the marina more interesting. If you want a dull marina, just take naps on the boat.

Our marina owner, John, has a friend named Buddy. Always love to see John and Buddy out for a walk. Buddy is friends with our Sugar Bee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sugarbee.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	46536  
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:39   #54

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We always carry a Poop bag when we take our boy's ashore!! Its only common sense and courtesy !! And even tho they are small, and not aggressive, we always keep them on leashs! and as far as them going onto someones elses boat ! Never! they stay on ours and good luck to the person or animal that trys to come aboard ours with out permission !! heck Ive seen a lot of kids that have much worse manners that our dogs !! Just sayin I don't want poop on my bare feet! dog or any other type of poop !!
Old 15-09-2012, 03:22   #55
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Just imagine - a quiet marina: no pets, no kids .... would be pretty lifeless, wouldn't it?

Sounds great!
Old 28-09-2012, 09:06   #56

Boat: Silverton Motor Yacht

I'm a golden retriever dog owner. I'm a person who always has a bag in her pocket or hand.The Marina dog box is some times empty. In fact I was out and Pottied my dog and cleaned it up and turned around and stepped in a pile. I was so mad....
The retractable leashes are great for if you have your dog alone and in a big field or for mine.playing along the shore. She doesn't come to me very well in water or sees ducks/ birds. In our home dock their is a couple with 2 big dogs and they don't leash them. I have our dog on our boat.or she has a tie on the dock. She is a great dog, but needs to be respectful and a good boat neighbor. I had the Marina staff come to me on some ones dog who is pooping on the next dock....that is not right...ewwwwww. There our some respectful dog owners out there....sometimes just mention to the owners if something disappoints you on their dog(s) most of them will understand. Some will give you ****
JoanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 09:41   #57
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

You guys sound like a bunch of ole' cranky pants.

No kids, no dogs, no cats, no hair, no noise.

No FUN!

And yer problem isn't dogs or cats or kids... it's people... and with or with out pets and kids, people can be a PITA.

I don't know how to help with the hair thing though... guess I am lucky Himself views the trade offs of my long hair shedding all over the place with the assorted benefits of having me aboard...

Solve the problem, not the symptom. Get rid of the PITA people. Or train THEM up...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 10:05   #58

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Sara,
When you don't like yourself, its hard to like anything else.
Old 28-09-2012, 10:09   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Sorry Sara gotta disagree. I had a 100 pound Akita who was well behaved and was a mush. If she felt the need to protect the family she just stood next to them and gave the handyman or whoever the look of "mess with them, ya have to go through me." When we traveled she would give the look, and we would take walk together where she would void when I gave her the ok. One time a standard poodle charged me in our front yard, she took off after the dog. i called her off and she returned. she looked up as if to say, "Ya know I could have taken him!". That dog was better behaved than many people's children! I still love a well behaved dog and my grands that are also well behaved.

Allowing your dog do relieve themselves anywhere, or yap because they are either insecure or want attention is just wrong.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 14:15   #60
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Uhh... crossed wires here somewhere...? Are you all replying to what "I" said?

Cause I like me just fine, thank you, and I like my dog too. I like you guys all as well. I even like most people I meet, just not the ones who allow their ill trained children and pets to run wild and don't clean up after them.

Those were the PITAs I referred to...

And the cranky pants comment was pretty tongue in cheek (is there a tongue in cheek face?)

Although I personally would find an environment with no pets or kids pretty sterile, not peaceful.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets