Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 07:31   #31

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
LOL When I read the title of this thread I thought immediately of this, Dog are not the issue, owners are the issue.

Me personally, I would rather stay in a Marina with a well behaved pet in every boat than one with wild unruly children or loud drunks.

Don't get me wrong, I love kids, but not "out of control" kids with absentee parents (who are likely the loud drunks).

This issue is about responsability I think, not dog crap.
I honestly was thinking about restaurants as much as (more then) marinas. My dog (when allowed) sits quietly at my feet under the table when I eat in a restaurant.... while the children are often throwing a fit and launching food airborne. It just is not reasonable that they should be allowed to be seated with everyone else... while my dog has to stay outside....

... None of this opinion is to be repeated to my daughter-in-law, or I am sure I shall never see my grandchildren.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:23   #32

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
perhaps the little varmints shouldn't be allowed in public places till they are 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
I honestly was thinking about restaurants as much as (more then) marinas. My dog (when allowed) sits quietly at my feet under the table when I eat in a restaurant.... while the children are often throwing a fit and launching food airborne. It just is not reasonable that they should be allowed to be seated with everyone else... while my dog has to stay outside....
... None of this opinion is to be repeated to my daughter-in-law, or I am sure I shall never see my grandchildren.
I've been told that in Germany, children are not allowed in public establishments till they are 12. Not even in a movie theater to watch Harry Potter.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:35   #33

I'm in the "quit whining" camp.

What some of you need is a nice little perfect house on a cul de sac. A bunch of rules that include what color you paint and that your grass shall be between 1.25 and 1.5" long. Oh yea, lets come up with a lot more rules that must be adhered to for boating.... that would be great.
  • I say we cover all marinas because the birds sh*t on the boats too, or we could try those propane cannons that go off every minute 24/7 to scare the birds away... yea and lets put them right next to the complainers boats.. .yea!
  • Oh and is there any way we can get rid of that awful stench from the yucky bottom when the tide goes out? maybe spray the whole area with bleach at low tide?
  • I say no cleaning fish or throwing stuff in the garbage cans either that crap smells terrible.....,
  • oh and no running diesels in the marina at all. Limit 30 seconds when you depart only, those fumes really do bother people.....
  • Vents off holding tanks must exit into the boat where by breathing the fumes they will be processed to not smell so bad for your neighbor when exhaled....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 08:49   #34

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What some of you need is a nice little perfect house on a cul de sac. A bunch of rules that include what color you paint and that your grass shall be between 1.25 and 1.5" long. Oh yea, lets come up with a lot more rules that must be adhered to for boating.... that would be great....
I hope this was not in response to my post.....

I honestly don't think children should be banned from marinas or from restaurants.

This was TOTALLY insensitive of me, and I apologize to anyone and all who I may have offended in any way.

After all, little darling children are just small humans right? They deserve to have their little civil rights respected, and ought to be able to co-exist and inhabit whatever space they please... right?

Again, I am sorry to have implied any less....

To all of those parents out there, who

...do their best...

... are considerate of others...

.... and

... keep their children muzzled and on a leash so they can do no harm!

Old 16-09-2009, 09:11   #35

aimed at original post train of thought.... :>)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:30   #36

Re: I Would Love to Go to a Marina Where No Pets Were Allowed

got to agree with you about those who don't look out after their animals and "I mean in every respect". I own a mule and to a big degree he is a pet 1500 plus pounds of pet. But he is also my source of livelihood. I clean up after him and a darn bigger mess than a cat or dog. Pure inconsideration is all it amounts to. Some folks will never change
foxmulerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09   #37

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Before one fairly lengthy cruise out of Vancouver, Canada, we taught our dog (small) to pee and poop on a piece of astroturf on the aft deck. We started in the marina before we left and just continued the practice. By the time we hit Mexico, about 3 weeks later, the dog would not go unless he had his astroturf under her rear end. Easy to clean up by towing the 'turf on a piece of line for a few hours. The dog would stand in the cockpit and wait expectantly for his 'turf to be pulled aboard and immediately mark it again. When we went ashore, we took the astroturf with us and would stop and lay it out for him... got some really strange looks I might add.
Years later on subsequent cruises we had a cat who was self controlling as long as we kept her litter box clean with fresh litter.
We even had pet food included in our ditch bag and liferaft inventory but I don't think we ever included astroturf in there.
Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 14:15   #38

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

first, there were anchor threads....

then, the filter micron threads....

soon came the multi vs mono threads.......

and even cat vs dog treads...........

finally, a man vs dog thread.
Old 02-04-2011, 15:49   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found , today, that many doggie owners arelike many cigarette smokers--not aware of the kaka left behind---- as some in the lawn at the sd muni docks got onto my feet as the doggie owner did not pick up his doggies pooooo-- that is a really nasty thing to leave behind, thankyou. but i would not disallow the critter in a marina-- mebbe the owner should be counselled or banned... critter is just doing his job......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 17:17   #40

Talking Re: I Would Love to Go to a Marina Where No Pets Were Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
....but i would not disallow the critter in a marina-- mebbe the owner should be counselled or banned... critter is just doing his job......
Reasonable.....

What about the children? (see post 34)
Old 02-04-2011, 18:23   #41
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
I can deal with the pets and children
same here .. it always takes a human to really stink things up
Old 02-04-2011, 18:51   #42

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail

Most people don't realize that not only is dog poo "yucky" and inappropriate to leave behind on any beach, grass area, or shoreline, it's also very environmentally unsound as the stuff filters down through the ground and into the environment and the bacteria enters the water system and aquifer, especially in Florida. Just like fertilizers and chemicals in our lawns are harming our waters, so is our dog poop! I have two dogs that travel on our boat with us everywhere, but we would never, ever, leave their waste behind.
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 20:27   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith'

You, d love France lots of small dogs in restaurants everywhere. I've even seen them on their own chair at the table.

Dave
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, foxmulerider.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14   #45

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant

While I appreciate the 'clean up' responsibility, I would avoid any marina that did not allow dogs.
Hey, If it's difficult for me to get my 70 lb golden-doodle from the dinghy to the cockpit, it must really be tough hauling a mule aboard

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets