Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2010, 16:38   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
I Wasn't Born to Sail

Just came across this and thought that some might find it amusing while others may relate. Any similar stories out there? How did things turn out?

I wasn’t born to sail - The Globe and Mail
Old 29-01-2010, 17:58   #2

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Very nice read Dave Thank you, I beleive it is John on s/v imagine that said " sailing is not like the cover of a sailing mag. it is a full contact sport.

I will be honest I have had a number of mishaps while sailing but some how have always return to the dock.

I guess the worse was when a friend tossed a spinnaker sheet in the water and started the motor while I was bagging the sail, it drug me across the boat and mangled my hand.

I have a number of mishaps that have happen but I learn from them and feel I am a better sailor now. When I started sailing I did not take any class just read watched youtube and got out there and tried it.

With all that said I would never give up this life, the good times by far make up for the bad. And have met some of the best people a person could ask to meet.

Yes there are dangers when it comes to sailing but after time you learn to control everything and react out of instint. Far be it that I am an expert but I do love to sail and feel I have taken to it very well.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 19:31   #3

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Lol..it was a good read.

I tell you what- I wasn't "born" to do anything. Nothing I've ever done comes easily to me. I struggle twice as hard to do anything that anyone else does and I don't care. I won't give up, I won't spend my life house-bound because life is too hard. I'm making mistakes as I learn to sail and I'm sure before it's done, I'll have made twice my fair share of them, but I will sail and I'll make sure that if anyone gets hurt doing it, that it's only me and my vessel.

That's more than the folks "settling in with chips and salsa for a laugh" are doing.
Old 30-01-2010, 03:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Good read..thanks Dave
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 05:49   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
She has no control, because she has no knowledge. I always advise taking lessons. It seems to me most survive, and manage to get from point A to point B. It also seems to me those who are self taught make the most mistakes.

bubblehead himself says he struggles twice as hard. Lessons would stop the struggling. Sailing is not rocket science, but it is an artform that takes a lifetime to perfect, if ever?

For many they are willing to take the hard knocks, because the feeling of a good sail is something that touches our souls........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture or Video 128.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	12890  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 09:50   #6

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
i2f- I said I struggle twice as hard with EVERYTHING, whether I take classes, lessons or not. I am ungraceful and unlucky. Even after I take the ASA 101 in May, I'm sure I will continue to struggle more than most people. Please don't make me out to be a bullheaded Philistine.
Old 30-01-2010, 11:01   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
My father once said;

"Sailing is the most expensive way to travel 3rd class."

It is true.
There is work involved, and for those who are looking for indulgence rather than satisfaction with work well done, then it will undoubtedly be a dissapointment.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:15   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
i2f- I said I struggle twice as hard with EVERYTHING, whether I take classes, lessons or not. I am ungraceful and unlucky. Even after I take the ASA 101 in May, I'm sure I will continue to struggle more than most people. Please don't make me out to be a bullheaded Philistine.

I feel yer pain. I know. I'm ADS, cixelsyd, the owner of two left feet. I have to sit down before chewing gum. Takes often repeating of the same information for it to sink in. If you say your name is Bill when we first meet I'll call you Frank two minutes later. I believe in Gremlins because they always steal my tools from wherever I put them down. Thank God for splle chcek so the truth doesn't get out. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. So working twice as hard at things is something I've lived with all my life. But, when I get it right, after everybody else does, and I eventually do, there is a special pleasure that only people like us can feel that others who things come to naturally will never know. It teaches a persistence, a never give up attitude, and dogged determination that suits the sailing lifestyle well. It's my only solace.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:56   #9
cruiser

Sounds like her problem is a captain Bligh , given the mention of temper tantrums and his attempts to keep her in the dark about what's going on, so she will humbly obey his "Orders". He is using his displayed "Knowledge" and her deliberately engineerd lack of it, to put himself on a pedestal, and keep her under "control." Given the regularity of his screwups, there is little to be admired there, and much to laugh at, were the consequences not so sad.
Enthusiasm for anything is something which has to be carefully nurtured. Were he a gardener ,would he "Order" his plants to "Grow faster" and expect them to humbly obey?
Weather , tides and outboard motors are blissfully unaware of temper tantrums. They wisely refuse to obey, or even acknowledge them. It sounds like it's time he got that thru his appearantly thick, childish skull.
I think she could gain a lot by going cruising with a wiser , more mature skipper ,or a boatload of experienced, enthusiastic women. He'd never allow that tho. It would "threaten " his beloved "Control" position.
Don't expect a boy to do a man's job.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 15:13   #10

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I feel yer pain....So working twice as hard at things is something I've lived with all my life. But, when I get it right, after everybody else does, and I eventually do, there is a special pleasure that only people like us can feel that others who things come to naturally will never know. It teaches a persistence, a never give up attitude, and dogged determination that suits the sailing lifestyle well. It's my only solace.
Well put!!!

Boy is it a sigh of relief to know theres others out there like me. It may take alot longer for me to complete a task, but I will complete it and nothing feels better!
Old 30-01-2010, 15:18   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
If you truly think lessons would be absolutely no help I am completely at lost for words. I only used your own words to get the point across that lessons can be helpful. I meant absolutely no evil intentions.

Sailing is obviously less critical than flying. No, you won't fall out of the sky, but bad things do happen to those who have no guidance. I have confidence in your ability leaping by bounds with the lessons. I also believe you will find that you have aquired some bad habits too without them.

Right here on the forums we, you & I visit. We read all the time how so called experienced sailors get into trouble. They lose their vessels, and sometimes their lives. How much worse can it be when you have no experience, or guidance. A Caveman can sail anything inless than 8 knots of wind. I am also confident your goal is to get out in a good breeze, and be confident in the handling of your vessel. One last time. I did not mean to pick on you........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 16:57   #12

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
I am not so sure that Mrs. Trickett is not putting us on, or taking the "mickie" out of us, (depending on which hemisphere, W or E you come from).
Her articulation of the idiosynchrosies surrounding the sailing life tells me she has a good understanding and appreciation of the essence of our chosen past-time.
Any which way--a great read
Old 03-02-2010, 16:47   #13
cruiser

I find that choosing a rising tide in protected waters,under 12 knots of wind ,then convincing her that she can't hurt anything so go ahead and try whatever she wants , goes a long way toward establishing confidence in her first sails. The hard part is convincing her she can't really hurt anything in those conditions, not trying to get across the opposite message.
First sailing experiences are critical.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote