Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 11:04   #1

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht
I love my boat savy kids

Yesterday we took out dinghy from the marina over to a local waterfront restaruant about a mile way. When we got there we found that there was an hour wait so we headed back to the dinghy to try someplace else.

When my boys raced down the sea wall they passed two couples that were walking to a rental boat. My wife and I walked casually behind these couples.

As my boys hit the dinghy, the oldest (10) cranked it up as the youngest (8) pulled the painter in closer for us to board. One of the ladies in the group expressed her concern to the group that the boys were out on the boat along and that she certainly hoped they had life jackets.

She said this just as we were stepping onto the dock at our dinghy so I took a moment to thank her for her concern and assure her that they do in fact wear life jackets when in the dinghy, moreover, they have more sea sense that most of the people out on the water in the rental boats (a not so subtle dig). At that time one of the guys in the group said "they probably do and at least you know they aren't drunk!".

It just reminds me that exposure to new situations allows for growth which is something that most kids outside of the boating community never experience. I know we will never live aboard while they are still in the house so spending every weekend on the water is the next best thing!
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids