Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2007, 08:00   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
How to Introduce the New Experience?

We now raise a 13yr old grandaughter who has never even been aboard yet. Looking seriously at the home-schooling while cruising option....

We're dealing with a *typical* middle-school kid who goes to school for the social aspects of it (spelled b-o-y-s) and gets good grades. TV has been her babysitter for most of her life and that iPod is always stuck in her ears. Seems to me that the idea of living in a small wet space with your Grandparents may not be on her list of idyllic situations....

How have others handled the "introduction" of this cruising idea to their kids? What things worked, what has not, etc....

Old 28-04-2007, 09:28   #2

Mark...in my view it is unfair that you have to raise a 13 yr. old grand-daughter when you should be out sailing your dream. It would also be unfair to her to pull her out of school/friends/ativities at this most important time in HER life so you can live YOUR dream. The time to go sailing with kids is while they are younger...so I would suggest going sailing on vacations with her now and leaving yourselves in 4 years. If she likes sailing with you...she'll come visit on college breaks!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 12:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Mark, you might be interested in reading the following thread on the SSCA forum.

SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Help Me Answer this...the Intervention has Begun!

I would suggest that you introduce her to boating gradually. If possible let her bring a friend. If she has never been on a boat then she probably has no idea what to expect and that can be pretty frightening. Letting her help prepare for the days sail and maybe some hired sailing lessons could help her relax.

My oldest daughter thought that a day on the sailboat meant lying on deck in her bikini with her cd player blasting out loud rock. My youngest was more interested in learning to sail and enjoyed it when we tried to catch other boats. It is the same as anything in life. Some people are attracted to boating and some aren't, but a gentle approach will help ensure that she is not frightened off on the first few adventures.

Good luck, and let your hearts be your guide.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 12:43   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Mark:

I think that you should introduce her gently. If possible bring along a friend for a week or two. During that week make sure that you are doing things that she likes -- short trips, snorkeling, shopping, -- It is alot like fishing lure her in until she is hooked.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 05:37   #5

Boat: C&C 27
Hi Mark,
My only experience with kids is my teenage neice who will follow me anywhere (and complain with every step.) If I were leaving and taking her was a necessary I would leave in a heartbeat. Maybe it is not being stuck in a small space with her grandparents but seeing the larger world with people who love her.
pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote