Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 08:09   #91

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Re: How Many Pairs of Shoes do you Carry Aboard?

ROTFL

Diana - Chris and I were *just* having this conversation as my pair of Sperry's soles have hardened and become the most slippery shoes ever on the deck...so I wanted to order a new pair since the other pair I have are older too...he is wondering how many shoes I am planning on bringing aboard *this* time...

Then I read your list to him as your reply popped up in my email box...couldn't have been better timing...Chris said, well, yes...but check out what type of boat they cruise aboard...

Yes, you have more room than our 35 foot Pretorien...but I should then in my mind at least be able to carry 8 pairs ;0)

So your husband hasn't completely learned the golden rule about cruising and women's shoes either???

I will say this time around I plan on bringing a lot less so I don't have to be constantly organizing and hunting for stuff because that is just not fun for me. It doesn't mean I am not going to find room for a back up pair of sperrys though
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:35   #92

Boat: Currently boatless
On our boat the tools are 'ours' so I can't argue for extra shoes on that count.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:52   #93

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Well, my sweet hubby has more pairs of shoes than I do. Probably 6 pairs. And he wears them all and rotates them and is totally fussy about them. It's very cute!

I have one pair of sandals that I wear for 6 months while we live aboard in Mexico. I also have a pair of sneakers that I wore on the plane to Mexico a few months ago and will wear again on the plane back to the US in a few months.

39 pairs is a lot, but having harmony on board is worth a lot more than that.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:53   #94

Boat: Nightingale / 1981 Sloop / 29.5'

First of all, I LOVE the photo that begins this thread. Especially the look on your wife's face "yeah I have a lot of shoes, what of it?"

I have friends that love shoes - it's a give me shoes or give me death type of situation. I'm not one of those girls and it's probably a good thing because we have a 30' sailboat with a tiny amount of space.

I have a pair of rubber boots, a pair of hiking shoes, a pair of running shoes, two pairs of slip-ons (one in black, one in grey), one pair of nice brown sandals (for dressing up), and one pair of black chaco sandals (which can also be worn with nicer clothes if I'm desperate/lazy...which I oftentimes am when it comes to dressing myself). So that makes 7 pairs for me. My husband has about the same.

That being said, I really wish I still had one pair of really hot high heels on-board. Nothing beats a pair of high heels when you really want to get dressed up. Sandals just can't cut it. I also wish I had a pair of boisterous shoes (too much grey, black and brown in my wardrobe) - like neon slip-ons or sandals or something. I do a lot of the organizing aboard Serenity and I always find great places to stash things...

So yeah. That's the situation on our boat. Fortunately our shoe bin also double functions as an extra room for our cat. He likes to hang out their when we're under sail.
harmonysimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:57   #95

Boat: Seaward 22

From my vantage point, I could always find room for a pair of high heels for a lady.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:06   #96

I never posted the link before, but if anyone wants a chuckle... I itemized the shoes in this list:
Addicted to shoes - Our Growing Shrinking Problem | Sundowner Sails Again
Old 02-04-2013, 17:06   #97
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Harmony, if you don't have at least one pair of the jimmy choo sailing stilettos, you've been deprived. <WEG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:11   #98

How do I "like" comments?
Old 02-04-2013, 18:20   #99
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysimone View Post
We don't really have that option built into the system, and we really don't want to become another Facebook.

Whenever I really "like" a comment, I quote it in a quick reply and then answer, "+1"

(The topic of onboard shoes would probably never solicit such a response on my behalf.)
Old 02-04-2013, 18:25   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We don't really have that option built into the system, and we really don't want to become another Facebook.

Whenever I really "like" a comment, I quote it in a quick reply and then answer, "+1"

(The topic of onboard shoes would probably never solicit such a response on my behalf.)
Good to know! Thanks for the tips - I'm still getting used to this whole forum format.
Old 02-04-2013, 18:28   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysimone View Post
Hit the "Thanks" button for posts you have really appreciated .

Welcome to CF .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 23:58   #102

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'm perfectly happy that my admiral has a pair of killer stilettos on board. Occasionally, she wears only them.........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:56   #103

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

This discussion really hits home, errr boat, as I have so many shoes I have to hide them from my wife. When I have to many shoes laying around the boat she will throw them down the hall, which is a hint I should pick them up and put them away.

I change cloths at least 4 times a day which usually requires a different pair of shoes to match. The PNW has 4 season, which requires cloths for each season and each out fit should have a pair of shoes to match. Right!

However, my wife takes it instead, if she see a pair that she know I would die for she will phone me, to let me know I should at least check them out. However, many times a new pair of shoes requires a new out fit also, which might lead to finding a different new out fit which requires a different pair of shoes. New shoes require new cloths, new cloths require new shoes. So it can become a vicious circle.

My wise loving wife knew I am a shoe/cloths hog when she bought the boat, and is one of the reasons she bought the Eagle as it has 3 staterooms and a walk in closet. So it’s mostly my wife’s fault I have so many cloths and shoes. Right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hall.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	68476  
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 01:15   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Your boat has a hall? Wow! That is so cool.

Coops.
Old 13-10-2013, 02:50   #105

Boat: Island Packet 40

I consider one pair of socks in the wash as an indication of a bad week?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote