Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-11-2012, 09:29   #61

Re: How Many Pairs of Shoes do you Carry Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I just keep telling her, if it is murder she doesn't get the insurance money.
But she doesn't need to worry about the insurance if she just beats you senseless.

But I know the shoe situation, been trying to innocently broach that subject with my spouse (without her knowing I'm doing so.....of course).

James L

Old 20-11-2012, 14:12   #62

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
I laughed out loud.

And you know... I doubt I'll be killed for starting flame wars on the forums, oh no.... It will probably be my luck that I go down with the ship after a high heel punctures something like a sink drain line.
So this is what goes on online while I am away? Perhaps I should visit this site more often, they seem to come up with good advice

Don't worry love, I won't take up your space for tools. If I run out of storage in the traditional lockers we can always utilize the dead space along the headliner.

http://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:29   #63
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

High Heels-
When you mention heels that could take out an eye...

"Do you have any drugs or weapons on board?"
"Oh, yessir, I have six pair of stiletto heels!"

Just saying, you know, if they ASK.... (G)
Old 20-11-2012, 14:34   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug View Post
So this is what goes on online while I am away? Perhaps I should visit this site more often, they seem to come up with good advice

Don't worry love, I won't take up your space for tools. If I run out of storage in the traditional lockers we can always utilize the dead space along the headliner.

Oh....so that is what a topping lift is for......

James L
Old 20-11-2012, 14:36   #65

Boat: 74 Westsail 32

OMG... All I can think of is the urban sign for a drug house being a pair or shoes over the power lines.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:38   #66

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Quote:
Recently, I violated the inner most sanctum of my wife's domain. (the closet)

I made a shocking discovery. She has 39 pairs of shoes. Thirty-Nine.

So now that I'm on this dark road of discovery I thought I would risk going a little further and ask the ladies of CF... How many shoes do you carry aboard? And what do you feel an acceptable number? Will I have to gut the wet locker to build a motorized shoe caddy?

The guilty dragoness lording over her cache of shoes.

And more...
I haven't read the other responses, just wanted to share that if it is SUPER important to her, consider being cool with it. Maybe she can find another area to cut back on.

When I first moved aboard I "paired down" my shoes but still had a lot. We kept a storage unit at the marina for our work clothes and I hung almost all of them in there.

Once I quit my teaching job, I got rid of a bunch of those shoes and when we finally made the move to full-time cruisers I had (and still have) the following amount of shoes - 5 pairs.

1 pair of running/exercise shoes
1 pair of Converse sneakers
1 pair of flip flops
1 pair of traditional style Crocs
1 pair of "nice" shoes - black maryjanes for "dressing up"

Not counting my foul weather boots since I so rarely use them and they are tucked away in a safe spot on the boat.

It took me six years as a liveaboard AND no longer having a professional job to go to get that paired down. IT takes time to transition to living aboard!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 15:16   #67

1 Keens, 1 tennis shoes, shiny gold flats for dressup, crappy flipflops for marina showers, sea boots, so 5 total during the 3 years we've been cruising. Getting a pair of hiking boots for this winter since we'll be in the Chesapeake where it will snow. Also, 1 pair of historically correct rope sandals that I wear with my reenactor stuff (part of my garb, not everyday footwear). When I was working and living aboard in a marina I had another 3 or 4 pairs of nicer shoes.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 15:19   #68

wow, posted the same time a Charlotte and had almost the same range of footwear! Are we beginning to identify a fundamental minimum?

But I agree, if shoes are really important to her, then you two have to find a way to make that happen. On our boat, we each have a dont-ask-dont-tell locker, we can store whatever we want there and the other doesn't get to comment on what we've chosen or why we want it, and it doesn't have to be logical.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 15:35   #69

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

WingNWing, we'll be almost exactly the same when I ditch my Converse (they are getting ratty anyway.) Though I'll probably pick up another pair of kicks for more urban outings. I have a feeling that we'll do lots of weekend adventures away from the boat exploring local areas and I like to have something cute, but sturdy on my feet for exploring on land.

Don't forget kids too! Right now our 2 year old has:

1 pair of Crocs
1 pair of sturdy walking shoes

I'll also be buying her a pair of 'nice' shoes that will still be comfortable for her to walk in.

And I LOVE your idea of the 'dont' ask, don't tell' cabinet. Eric has his own 'man cabinet' I call it and I don't get any say over what's in it though I think it contains stuff like his work stuff (electronic communications), cigars, guy liquor (I don't really drink the hard stuff), and other manly accouterments. Likewise I have the space under the nav table for my craft supplies and womanly things (like me and my daughter's hair accessories and jewelry.)
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 16:01   #70

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I don't really care hoe many shoes as long as she has decent thongs.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp thong.bmp (373.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 20-11-2012, 16:04   #71

Re: How many pairs of shoes do you carry aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
As a peanutter i have to say that i would not carry any shoes on board, but i may wear them to get aboard. Secondly, what if you are a male but have a ladies shoe fetish? Can you have enough?

Coops.
Well, here's a tip, if you just steal one from each lady you stalk, you can fit 100 shoes in the space normally required by 'just' 50 pairs.

Works for me anyway. YMMV
Old 20-11-2012, 17:54   #72

Boat: Beneteau 473
2 pair of flip flops
1 pair of Keens
1 pair of Harken deck shoes
1 pair of walking/hiking shoes
1 pair of dressy sandals

So 6 pair of shoes. Had lots before we downsized and moved aboard. Probably proportional to hubby's tools. However, he got to bring all (well almost) of his tools ... hmmm, we might have to renegotiate this one!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:47   #73
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
2 pair of flip flops
1 pair of Keens
1 pair of Harken deck shoes
1 pair of walking/hiking shoes
1 pair of dressy sandals

So 6 pair of shoes. Had lots before we downsized and moved aboard. Probably proportional to hubby's tools. However, he got to bring all (well almost) of his tools ... hmmm, we might have to renegotiate this one!
No sea boots? Does everyone on this thread live in the tropics?
Old 20-11-2012, 19:07   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

My beautiful bride currently has at least a half dozen with heels over 6". She can keep as many pairs as she wants as long as the number of really high heels doesn't decrease!
Old 20-11-2012, 19:09   #75

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

No sea boots? Does everyone on this thread live in the tropics?
For the forseeable future I am staying in the tropics! My son-in-law told me he had to shovel three feet of snow at our house -- and it is not even winter yet! Not going back, I've waited too long to get out!

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: