Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 10:26   #31

Re: How Many Pairs of Shoes do you Carry Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I'll chip in first. I have already posted how many I have, but in answer to how many are really necessary I would have to say one (if they are blue water capable, of the correct size, and constructed well from the best material ).
So if I'm hearing you correctly, they can't be Hunters.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:28   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
So if I'm hearing you correctly, they can't be Hunters.
Not touching that one, unlike you and Carsten I don't have a death wish LOL.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 10:30   #33

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Target

I admire your bravery. Shame to die so young.......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 10:32   #34

Boat: Island Packet 380

Quote:
in answer to how many are really necessary I would have to say one (if they are blue water capable, of the correct size, and constructed well from the best material ).
LOL....best answer yet! Love it!
Old 14-11-2012, 10:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Target

I admire your bravery. Shame to die so young.......

I laughed out loud.

And you know... I doubt I'll be killed for starting flame wars on the forums, oh no.... It will probably be my luck that I go down with the ship after a high heel punctures something like a sink drain line.
Old 14-11-2012, 10:50   #36

Boat: OEM, proportional

Those heels might be just the ticket for stopping up a leak from a broken through-hull. Or you could use them as lethal boomerangs against bloodthirsty pirates. Or, how about bent on the end of some twisted together nylon stockings, and used as an emergency anchor that holds better than a genuine Rocna? Then again, hammered into the topsides as jury rigged chainplates when the stainless ones corrode off? Perfect deck-core testing gadgets! Dinghy dock bollards too crowded; use the heels! A thousand and one uses.....truly, one can never have enough. S'cuse me, someone's hammering at my front door, brb....
Old 18-11-2012, 11:36   #37

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I have one of those hanging canvas shoe holders which holds 10 pairs but I don't need that many. I have one pair of deck shoes (Sebagos) and several pairs of Crocs in different colors.
Old 18-11-2012, 12:11   #38

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie wants to know how a Southern fella could Ever say a Southern Lady had to many shoes !!! Thats a crude thing to do that you would expect from a Yankee fella !! Ive never counted her shoes!! ( I would never question the best first mate Ive ever seen) I make it a point to always say how nice her new shoes are !!! Bad move Target, I know from your other posts ya are a good sailor, but never, never check a ladys shoe locker !!! LOL
Old 18-11-2012, 13:15   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Perhaps guy's suffer from shoe excess too, we just measure differently:

3 dress shoes
1 everyday sneakers
1 paint sneakers
1 hiking shoes
1 light hiking boots
1 medium hiking boots
1 light mountaineering boots
1 heavy mountaineering boots / ice climbing
2 ski boots (X-country and alpine)
1 deck shoes
1 sandles
1 flip-flops
1 rock climbing shoes
2 in-line skates
1 ice skates
1 steel-toe work boots
1 rubber boots
1 wet suit boots
1 mountain bike shoes
1 road bike shoes
24 total

Not 39...

But on the other hand, I would consider taking about 7 on a very long cruise, a few more if live aboard in a cold climate. Heck, I've got 4 pair day-sailing.
Old 18-11-2012, 13:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Connie wants to know how a Southern fella could Ever say a Southern Lady had to many shoes !!! Thats a crude thing to do that you would expect from a Yankee fella !! Ive never counted her shoes!! ( I would never question the best first mate Ive ever seen) I make it a point to always say how nice her new shoes are !!! Bad move Target, I know from your other posts ya are a good sailor, but never, never check a ladys shoe locker !!! LOL
Bob,

I could deal with all the other shrapnel coming my way for this post, but damned if you didn't wing me by calling me a Yankee. Last time I go snooping in the shoe bin!
Old 18-11-2012, 14:08   #41

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
1 1\2 pairs. I have one favorite pair of shoes I wear all the time. If you wear the same shoes all the time, they break down pretty quickly. I am an amputee and one shoe lasts forever, showing no wear. So I purchase two pairs of shoes, and alternate use of the left shoe. Makes the shoes last about four times longer. Anybody needing a deal on never used right shoes, size 15eeee, let me know.
Old 18-11-2012, 15:49   #42

Haha.......some of the comments gave me a good laugh !!!

Target...to your reassurance...be patient, let your wife reach fifty and time might work for itself, selfexperience showed me that aging my NEEDS going in other direction as into possessions and I feel absolutely as self-confident with 3 pairs of shoe as years ago with 30 pairs !!!

Good Luck and best wishes to your wife !!!
Caribicjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 15:10   #43

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Ummmmm.....Note my forum name...do not be confused I 'rarely' wear high heels...my third job out of college was selling shoes on the floor of Nordstrom where I quickly became an Assistant Manager...I love shoes...I love wearing shoes, I love the smell of good shoes, I love the fact that no matter whether I have gained weight or lost weight my shoes fit, and if my feet feel good, I feel good....

This was not a happy subject aboard s/v Alchemy...I don't know how many shoes I actually took ('hid') from Chris...I think maybe it was seven - including a couple pairs of flip flops...I do have dressy flip flops...I tried to at least make my cruising choices shoes that were light...I was considering weight and sailing performance.

Having multiple pairs of shoes is good...it is healthier because your shoes get to air out between wearings...

Did I mention I love shoes , and yes, I love most aspects of cruising and when I gave away or threw away my shoes before we moved out of our house I cried...

Now, I am finding my shoes disintegrating that I took with me - the running shoes at least and that is well just sad...

You know a girl could have much worse addictions...Didn't someone famous once say, "Let them have S-H-O-E-S!!!" Well, even if they didn't, I just did...that's something...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 15:18   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Ummmmm.....Note my forum name...do not be confused I 'rarely' wear high heels...my third job out of college was selling shoes on the floor of Nordstrom where I quickly became an Assistant Manager...I love shoes...I love wearing shoes, I love the smell of good shoes, I love the fact that no matter whether I have gained weight or lost weight my shoes fit, and if my feet feel good, I feel good....

This was not a happy subject aboard s/v Alchemy...I don't know how many shoes I actually took ('hid') from Chris...I think maybe it was seven - including a couple pairs of flip flops...I do have dressy flip flops...I tried to at least make my cruising choices shoes that were light...I was considering weight and sailing performance.

Having multiple pairs of shoes is good...it is healthier because your shoes get to air out between wearings...

Did I mention I love shoes , and yes, I love most aspects of cruising and when I gave away or threw away my shoes before we moved out of our house I cried...

Now, I am finding my shoes disintegrating that I took with me - the running shoes at least and that is well just sad...

You know a girl could have much worse addictions...Didn't someone famous once say, "Let them have S-H-O-E-S!!!" Well, even if they didn't, I just did...that's something...
Sounds like the leader of a new group SAA (Shoe Addicts Anonymous)

Now with that, I'll duck......... and run.

James L
Old 19-11-2012, 15:46   #45

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

James L - ducking and running a good idea...while the lug soles might hurt more in some respects be glad I don't wear heels - those could take out an eye...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote