Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-01-2011, 20:46   #121

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Married for 27 years, getting ready for the "big move". I honestly don't know why she has put up with me for that long, but I'm glad she has.

To wit: We are attending the Strictly Sail show in Chicago and she wanted to discuss the seminars WE were going to attend. I told her to go online and make a list of her choices, then we'll see what both of want to sit in on.

Her choices: Ocean voyaging preparation, Cruising for couples, 10 things they never tell you about cruising, sailing made easy (she is a newby sailor), coastal navigation, beginning celestial navigation.

My choices: Roll and tip painting, core replacement, hardware mounting, plumbing, sailboat steering maintenance and repair.

It would appear that we both have different goals in mind, mine is to keep the boat afloat and maintained, hers is to go "somewhere".

This is going to be a LOT of fun.
Sounds to me like SHE plans on being Captain . . .

Old 10-01-2011, 21:02   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I'm single, but my experience cruising, especially the more popular cruising destinations, is that a committed couple is by far the most common boat make up one will find on cruising boats.

Old 10-01-2011, 22:23   #123

Boat: 1989 Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag

dont know where ye get this bs from-- only a certain percent of felames are like this.
It applies to every one I've ever known...

Reality tv is a good way to cull 'em, though. If they admit to watching that drivel, dump 'em immediately. Save yourself some future trouble.

Quote:
as for the part of this paragraph stating that the females who willingly cruise and sail without complaint or problems or complaint---ROFLMFAO>>>> we DO exist in greater numbers than you can believe. just open your eyes. we are all around you.
He probably didn't want to say that the ones that would generally look like old salty men. Makes beggars start wanting to be choosers.

Anyway, just opening your eyes doesn't make them appear. And when you start making references to attitude poisoning, it's probably cause the shoe fits. And it ain't made of glass.
Old 10-01-2011, 22:37   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
It applies to every one I've ever known...

Reality tv is a good way to cull 'em, though. If they admit to watching that drivel, dump 'em immediately. Save yourself some future trouble.

He probably didn't want to say that the ones that would generally look like old salty men. Makes beggars start wanting to be choosers.

Anyway, just opening your eyes doesn't make them appear. And when you start making references to attitude poisoning, it's probably cause the shoe fits. And it ain't made of glass.
i so love sexist bull poo. makes a lot of sense--no wonder there are so many single females-- the males are too blind to see past ends of noses!!!LOL

rofl-- if you think like that, you will never learn what is around you in this or any other life.

perhaps the women of whom you so sexistly speak like the tv more than what is offered in their beds.....you know,many men ARE ineffectual.........

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 22:47   #125

Boat: 1989 Catalina 30
If believing in psychobabble excuses makes you feel better, enjoy.

And if you want to think it's sexist for a man to want to be physically attracted to his woman...you have hit it on the nail. What makes you think sexist is an insult?

Sour grapes and spilt milk is no good for anyone. You should eat better.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I'm single, but my experience cruising, especially the more popular cruising destinations, is that a committed couple is by far the most common boat make up one will find on cruising boats.
I have found the same thing in cruising the Caribbean/Bahamas for more than a decade. But you have to realize there are nearly 400+ million people living on land in North America and about 100-200 living as committed couples on cruising boats. It is sort of like living your whole life in a major city like New York/Boston/Chicago/L.A. and then for the first time seeing how folks live in little village towns in places like Iowa, Montana, Missouri and others. Little village towns of maybe a dozen or two homes and folks who still don't know what a door lock or dead bolt is for.
- - I would suspect it is the weeding effect actual full time live-aboards and cruisers go through. Only the really committed survive to continue cruising. So, yes, Dorothy (as the expression goes) there really are couple out there that can live 24/7/365 rarely getting more than a few meters from each other. True lovers, companions, partners, and all the things the fairy tales taught us "marriage and love" is supposed to be like.
- - The trick is finding a mate that can stand being around you 24/7/365 and enjoy it. Secondly, one who can live the "frontier life" of minimal "modern affectations". That is not easy given the odds of 7 billion people on earth, 3.5 +/- females, and maybe a thousand or so worldwide who can survive and thrive in the cruising boat environment. Talk about having to "kiss a lot of frogs" before finding your prince/princess.
- - But the reality that long-term cruising couples show is that you can, with a lot of work searching, find that gem that is for you.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35   #127

Boat: Maxum 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I was wondering how long a recent post would take to get some fireworks.

I wonder what would the response be if we posted a "How many cruisers wished they were married" thread?
Probably the same if asked, "how many wished they were not!"
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03   #128
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Probably the same if asked, "how many wished they were not!"
I doubt it! But feel free to post the poll.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Don Lucas's question would be answered quite differently if you were a land-based single person versus a single-hander cruising the islands/seas.
- - The difference comes in the unique, if not downright fantastic, example long-term cruising couples exhibit in the area of being a "loving couple." I would hazard that being forced to cohabit in a "large closet" for most every hour of every day of every year weeds out all those couples who just cannot stand to be that close to somebody "all the time." You really learn what "love" is all about.
- - So yes, an experienced single hander cruiser who has many long-term cruising couple friends will be strongly motivated to find "his" own mate. Sharing the adventure and the interaction of joy and amazement with each new adventure - - along with the shared sweat and pain of "surviving" that last passage working as a team (real team) is a "glue" that binds man and woman to each other as never can be found on land.
- - Problem is - finding that mate.
Old 12-01-2011, 19:48   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Committed, not married.

I think most cruisers are married - to their boats. At least this is what I reckon looking at how they behave.

barnie
Old 12-01-2011, 20:57   #131

Hubby & I in our 50's. Sailing for only 5 years and now full-time liveaboard. Having the space of a cat will probably help the marriage I feel!
Old 12-01-2011, 23:59   #132

i have always loved adventure and boats but my wives have not always agreed with my way of life.
After my last divorce (her idea after 30 years) I was devastated at 54.

However I went on internet dating sites, and explained who i was and what i wanted, and i found a wonderful sailing partner who is now sharing my dreams she is 54 I am now 63.
Old 13-01-2011, 05:47   #133
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Yes. New times. New technologies, new ways to mix up. Think there will be more married people in the older generation and more (by comparison, not by weight) committed unmarried in the younger generation.

b.
Old 13-01-2011, 05:59   #134

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Her choices: Ocean voyaging preparation, Cruising for couples, 10 things they never tell you about cruising, sailing made easy (she is a newby sailor), coastal navigation, beginning celestial navigation.
My choices: Roll and tip painting, core replacement, hardware mounting, plumbing, sailboat steering maintenance and repair.
It would appear that we both have different goals in mind, mine is to keep the boat afloat and maintained, hers is to go "somewhere".
This is going to be a LOT of fun.
That sounds a lot like our breakdown. But I have decided to take a desiel engine course.

Maje
Old 13-01-2011, 06:02   #135

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - - In the vein of the CF thread on women with issues and other threads about finding partners - finding a USA female who can actually co-exist happily on a cruising boat is nil to nothing. As others have mentioned the few - very few - ones who can are taken. The normal American female will probably jump with joy with the idea of cruising to exotic locations on your yacht until you get to the part where you tell her she cannot take 2 or 3 baths a day (maybe once a week). Then when you mention she cannot bring cosmetics, creams, skin conditioners, and other grease laden products that wipe out the plumbing in your boat, her expression will change. Finally, add in the reality of not being able to instantly, constantly text and talk to her girlfriends and hang out at "malls" and you will probably find her raising both hands at you in a middle finger salute as she departs.
Probably not a good assumption on this forum.

Maje

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: