Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2011, 16:50   #166

Boat: 1989 Catalina 30
How is the fact that most women do not prefer to live on a sailboat not valid here? How is a fact not valid anywhere? Think about it??? Really?

Old 17-01-2011, 21:47   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That reminds me of a brass plaque that was installed on one of my previous boats: "Notice: marriages performed by the captain of this vessel are valid for the duration of the voyage."
a little tight budget but hey il carve that on my bulkhead, good enough for start.

Old 18-01-2011, 08:02   #168
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
Think about it. You are getting flack because of who is on this forum. Your generalization is not valid here.
Maje
Actually the "generalizations" are quite valid and most are of a "lament" and never a criticism. Since the vast majority of CF posters are men and there are a few "good women" also posting - it is natural to lament the scarcity of grown young women who can thrive in the cruisinng lifestyle.
- - Those that are actually observed out here are either life-long mates who both have a love of the sea and a thirst for exploring. That is not exclusive to one gender or the other. Considering that the percentage of the population of the world who can and do live on the seas and cruising is very small even for men - for women it is even a smaller fraction.
- - And I am not talking about women or men who are living on land and want to go cruising - I am talking about women and men who are actually out here cruising. It has been discussed earlier that the lust for cruising wears thin after a year or two and usually by the fifth year (+/-) it is gone. What remains is a very small percentage of couples who really both enjoy the lifestyle and value the opportunities to explore and travel.
- - I have observed amongst the long termers, those that were married as "high school sweethearts" make up a large percentage of the "marrieds." And those who joined up later in life seem to just remain "couples" rather than get married. There is no practical reason for cruising couples to be married as it relates to actually cruising. If land living is planned in the future "after cruising" then marriage may have some benefits especially in the health and benefits departments.
- - And it is definitely "not a fact" that women don't like the cruising lifestyle as some of the lady CF posters demonstrate. But it is also a reality that they are definitely in a unique and cherished minority. And there is not enough to go around.
Old 18-01-2011, 08:16   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - And it is definitely "not a fact" that women don't like the cruising lifestyle as some of the lady CF posters demonstrate. But it is also a reality that they are definitely in a unique and cherished minority. And there is not enough to go around.
Looks like you're mis-quoting me here...that is NOT what I said.
I said
Quote:
How is the fact that MOST WOMEN do not prefer to live on a sailboat not valid here?
That is a fact. MOST WOMEN do not want to live like that. And it is also a very accurate generalization as well.
Old 18-01-2011, 08:29   #170
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Sorry - a matter of semantics - I consider a fact as something proven by rigorous scientific methods - whereas I don't think anybody ever cared to do such a study on cruising women. So even though we agree I only state it as a unofficial observation. Same difference . . .
- - But I don't understand what the statement "How is the fact that MOST WOMEN do not prefer to live on a sailboat not valid here?" is talking about. "not valid here" is too indefinite - where's "here?"
- - But I think we are saying similar things in different ways. Long term cruising women are a rare breed and should be cherished if you are lucky enough to find one.
Old 18-01-2011, 08:47   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Sorry - a matter of semantics - I consider a fact as something proven by rigorous scientific methods - whereas I don't think anybody ever cared to do such a study on cruising women. So even though we agree I only state it as a unofficial observation. Same difference . . .
You don't need to do a scientific study to know some things. Common sense will do. But it wasn't semantics, I said "MOST" women and you left that out, meaning ALL women otherwise.

Quote:
- - But I don't understand what the statement "How is the fact that MOST WOMEN do not prefer to live on a sailboat not valid here?" is talking about. "not valid here" is too indefinite - where's "here?"
You didn't read the message I was quoting the first time I said that.

Quote:
- - But I think we are saying similar things in different ways. Long term cruising women are a rare breed and should be cherished if you are lucky enough to find one.
Old 18-01-2011, 11:17   #172
cruiser

how many cruisers are married?

quote by osirissail "are a rare breed and should be cherished if lucky enough to find one"" ,very accurate and wise statement and sounds like you have lost a few mates and speak from experiance,,reminds me of one mate who wouldnt set foot again on a sailboat running sail after she was laying onboard when a stay pulled out at the topmast fitting and fell to the deck narrowly missing here and the temporary chaos that ensued as hwe got the sails reefed in and the stay out of the ocean before it ended up in the rudder/propeller,she was simply scared away from liveaboard lifestyle,another mate got very homesick for her buddies and didnt like the insecurity of open water and remote areas between islands but was happy in marinas,,even my own sister got off the boat weigh back in 1985 after 1 day in 20 foot seas sailing from turks and caicos to the domincan republic,,she decided to stay in the dr and fly home rather than continue on with us,,and to this day she will go boating but in no rough areas,,it was an unforcasted gale that came up causing the rough water as we started out calm enough,,what us guys found exciting some women felt terififying as wwhen the stern breakers would sometimes push us sideways on the beam end going down large waves{a problem of garden designed stern bouyant crafts with heavy bows ei.CT-41,51s etc which would also submarine into some waves on the downhill causing water to run the full length of the deck}i swear it was only our luck at times that we never suck that craft before we got a truer sailboat than motorsailer..usually the learning curve on the ocean doesnt tolerate us inexperianced in hull design etc, but we learned however most of the mates we had of the female design didnt go on to sail greater distances and longer durations,,instead we would pick them up at the airport and they would come and stay on the floating condo for awhile before returnibg to colder climates,,and we would go back to blowing out sails,,burning out transmissions,,fixing toilets,hitting coral-heads and changing props with scuba gear etc, all that dangerous? stuff that scares some woman,,yes cherished is a proper word to use,,and also to be guarded from evil men,,i doubt the women who was onboard in honduras when her father got shot will return to criusing,,locals coming up while at anchor are often the puzzle of shoot first ask questions later or just shoot first,lift anchor and leave,,did anyone hear if the gunmen was arrested?very sad for tourism in that area of the coast
Old 18-01-2011, 15:59   #173
cruiser

Marriage may be a great institution,, but who wants to live in an institution?
Old 18-01-2011, 16:59   #174
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Marriage may be a great institution,, but who wants to live in an institution?
If this is how you look at it...............who would want to live with you!
Old 18-01-2011, 18:15   #175

Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.

So don't get institutionalized, just have your head examined periodically!
Old 20-01-2011, 16:17   #176
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I'm flattered, when I see who they do want to live with.
By comparison, not qualifying is an absolute compliment.
Old 20-01-2011, 16:59   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Try and keep this civil. Remember the golden rule:

Be nice!!!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 18:25   #178
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Old 21-01-2011, 07:54   #179

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Very nice response.

Maje
Old 21-01-2011, 11:58   #180

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
My wife and I are here in Vero Beach, Florida for a couple of days,- yesterday for provisions and today for laundry while sitting out some bad weather. The only thing that doesn't please me about Vero Beach is all the cruisers. It's full of men and women that love cruising. I would agree that most women don't care for and are not suited for the cruising lifestyle, but I would say that the same is true for most men. I won't suggest that I know of any empirical data, but what ever the number that enjoy living on their boats and fulltime cruising, it's too high! When we come across hundreds of cruisers in George Town, Exuma or Marathon in the Keys, we can't wait to get away. For us, there's something that runs against best choices to sail away and then flock together; however, to stay on track, most of the huge "flocks" of cruisers that gather in those ports mentioned above and Key West, St. Augustine, Annapolis, etc..are couples. Most of the women that we meet cruising are not secondary cruisers, but experienced eagar and active participants. Now, admittedly, we are exclusively cruising the East US Coast from Maine to the Bahamas and other areas of the world might not show the same numbers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: