Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2009, 06:34   #121
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
Well - didn't read all eight pages, but we keep jewellery aboard (nowhere else to keep it!) Some lives in air tight boxes, but also a jewellery box fits neatly on the shelf in the aft cabin.

To display some (not all) get, some fine-grain netting and stretch it into a picutre frame. Paint the frame if you want. Attach frame to bulkhead. Hang earrings off the netting. Works for us! Have sailed several thousand miles, incluidnga cross Biscay, with dangly earrings swaying and displayed. (And no, we do not wear earrings when at sea.)
Given you didn't read all 8 pages, I will mention that you are one of the (very very) few who actually answered the original question.

As you are new here, you are allowed the odd mistake like this
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:29   #122
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Hmmmmm. Have you been missing? Cruising? Out at sea for a few weeks? Ex-comunicado?

Have noticed an improvement of witt here in the last 24 hrs...

mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 08:19   #123

Boat: Allegro 33
Without having read all posts. In My opinion (male) on overall Id be careful. If I had a safe in my boat id use it as a decoy for sure. If someone wants the contents they will have you give them the code. Either with a gun to your head or bigger.
I have a few concealed areas in my boat that was built in by builder took me more than a year to find them.
Secondly I have worn a Rolex on my arm since 1986 Not gold but still. So far noone have tried to size me up ,knock on wood, Ive been most over Europe, North America,
Africa, South America, Central America. Is it just luck or is it the way I am as a person? Or a mix. That have saved me. Some people are loud and gawdy, and Im sure that doesent fall in good soil.
It is my ticket home if I go broke./Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 08:31   #124

Boat: Allegro 33
Now I have read all posts. Dont bring it if you cannot part with it./ Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 20:26   #125

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Maybe there is a basic disconnect here - The naysayers (for lack of a better term) are thinking Gold, Diamonds, Platinum while maybe the other side is thinking Beads, Feathers, handmade earrings from shells and found corals. I only see the underlying assumption that using the word "jewelry" can only mean gold and silver, etc.
- - My wife likes simple handmade jewelry items from local craftspeople and wears it. It doesn't sparkle or glitter, but is very pleasant to see worn on her. The locally made coral bent bracelets are elegant along with the red berry seed necklaces. All of this jewelry is rarely individually worth over 5 bucks each and surely worthless to a thieve so you are ignored.
- - That type of jewelry she displays in the "little basket" type thing mentioned by another poster. Or it is in a small tupperware container on top of a dresser in harbor/anchor and then placed in a lockable drawer when underway.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 20:59   #126

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
Actually, I have wondered about jewelry storage, because I would expect that jewelry might get scratched up while sailing, because of the motion. I think that jewelry is a GREAT indulgence to have aboard a boat, because of it's small size. I do not own any really expensive jewelry. Mostly I like semi-precious stones, such as a jade, amber. My "best" jewelry is a 14K charm bracelet, and the charms have personal significance. I ALWAYS bring some jewelry on my land based vacations, as an antidote to homesickness.

I expect those who display jewelry typically do so in the private areas of the ship, not in the salon.

Why are so many of you guys complaining about small items that take up so little space? I am sure that many of you have your own "gadgets" that you couldn't live without. I knew a man who built a gimbaled mount for his blender because he thought it was cool to make frozen Margaritas while underway. Personally, I don't think I would like my stern rail cluttered up with a barbecue, yet I see they are popular with many people. (And I am sure some of these people consider themselves "cruisers" even if their cruises are merely an overnight on the weekend.)

Jeez, I eve know of a male sailor who lived aboard full-time when he was single, and he MADE jewelry as a hobby to sell at craft fairs.
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 22:46   #127

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
I've always left my very valuable jewelry in a safety deposit box on land. Yep, that meant I didn't see or wear it for a few years, but that's my life and I didn't suffer from it. I never felt like I was underdressed anywhere because I was lacking my pearls, diamonds or other trinkets.

Yachts I've worked on (luxury yachts) had safes. But generally, I stuck to more arts & crafty type of jewelry while cruising. Safest option. Nice too.

My 2 cents worth.
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 09:07   #128

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
4,901 views and 127 posts.

this is one of the most active threads, especially for such a short period of time, on this forum.

my congratulations, Red Charlotte. I'm sure this thread has brought in plenty of advertising revenue for the forum.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 10:17   #129

Boat: Cascade
Lost my best watch catching it on a sheet. Plunk. Gone !

No Jewelry on board
Old 07-12-2009, 02:42   #130

Boat: Beneteau, Idyll 13.5, 43', Be Leaving
Jewelry box

The practical answer: I found a plastic box with a snap lid online and have seen them in fish tackle and craft isles. Small dividers to keep earrings matched up. Larger ones for bracelets, necklaces. I thought it would keep humidity out and be easy to hide if I felt the need. After I lived aboard about a year. I found I was choosing the same 3 pair of earrings and not wearing any of the other stuff.

The real answer: Jewelry is about memories and gifts received and feeling 'put together' for a special occasion. Women (usually) give up quite a bit of 'stuff' to move from the house to the boat. There's a certain about of comfort in having your jewelry nearby. Even if you wear it less.
Be Leaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 13:29   #131

Boat: pilot cutter
Clearly the best place to display one's jewelry while onboard is strung along the vessel's lifelines for all the world to admire. That way, when it is finally relieved of your possession both the boat and the jewelry owner(s) themselves will be relatively unscathed by the experience.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 18:42   #132

Boat: Yorktown 35
I've hidden items like jewelry or other stuff on board in those nifty little cans that look like coke cans, cleanser cans, etc. really handy when put in it's normal place. easy to get to - rarely found. never had anything missing from them - even when the boat was broken into and all the electronics lifted.
rdcleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 14:16   #133

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Well strictly speaking from a gents perspective, I prefer the more secure briefs to boxer shorts.

Leaving them lying about is.... just too dangerous...
You're killing me.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:27   #134
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the mattress..?

Charlotte

This might sound naff I know - but looking at your blog gave me an idea. Your new cushions on your berths are soooo thick. My husband also wants to have thick cushions made. Now I'm thinking one could take the least used berth and make the mattress out of two thinner layers of foam, attached together with Velcro and hidden in a fitted sheet. We could safety pin our small valuables to the middle layer, then when we want to look, we just pull that layer out and put it on top. If the foam is good quality, it should offset the "Princess and the Pea" effect!! Hmm, I'm thinking about this seriously now for cash (I love looking at that!) and stuff - thanks for the inspiration!

I have to admit, I have very little jewellry (he has none), and we both cunningly hide our wedding rings on our keyrings!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:38   #135

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If you examine your boat carefully you will see areas that are covered with "trim" boards because the curves of the boat do not lend themselves to making square/rectangular storage spaces. Especially if there are "drawers" underneath berths, settees, lockers, etc. Underneath these "drawers are dead space areas that can be used to hide/store valuables.
- I even took a useless small area between a closet/locker and the cabin top and added a "false wall" of teak plywood and gained a good size "hidey-hole" for valuables.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote