Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 18:12   #91

Boat: Cantana 401, 41' Kaya
Send a message via Skype™ to Kaya 09
Charlotte, would I take the Hope Diamond cruising? No. Actually, I will never own it! I too, however, like to be able to look at my jewelry to decide what to wear. Having just returned from 6 mos of cruising and waiting for hurricane season to pass to leave again, I can tell you that I purchased a 'simple' wedding ring to wear on my next trip. My engagment/wedding ring have yet to make the cut (but probably will). However, most all other jewelry is not so expensive that it would be devastating to loose. Take it. Wear it. If it has sentimental value, hide it and only wear it on special occasions or when you are comfortable with your surroundings. Otherwise, why have it if you can not have fun with it? As I sense from your posts, you are wise enough to make the choice.

Have fun out there and look beautiful while doing it!
Old 05-08-2009, 20:22   #92

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
Stevens, be advised that during the zero tolerance tear-em-apart days of the 80's, the USCG issued a formal statement that any secret hiding places built into boats would be considered evidence of smuggling and grounds for action, unless you sent them formal written notification of where you'd built what.
Hellosailor thanks for that info, I will Coast Guard a call and pass on what they say.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 22:03   #93

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Wow, only just clicked on this today and am amazed to see 7 pages.

I haven't read them all but will drop in my 2c

We have never been one for jewelry of any value and cant see the point of having any.

If you wear it while sailing it'll get caught on something and either break and get lost of not break and lose a finger causing blood letting on the paint or even worse actually damage the paint.

If on land, the shiny is a target for unsavory chappies and in some places even wildlife (I have heard of monkeys in Malaysia ripping on earrings and chains and seen warnings saying the same).

In the water diving, I have had fish have a lunge at a silver bracelet I "used" to wear.

So whats the point in having it if you have to keep it locked up due to theft, cant wear it due to theft or cant wear it due to safety issues.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:29   #94

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
oh for heaven's sake.

I'm sure walking around the marinas in parts of Sydney and Brisbane are plenty of sensible women wearing jewelry. These ladies are not in fear of losing their lives to impoverished drug addicts or their fingers to moving parts, barracudas or the Rhesus monkey.

Women are not intrinsically stupid. We can actually figure out when it is appropriate to wear jewelry and when to put it away - for whatever the reason - rough neighborhood or moving parts. Please - must we hear this again?

The purpose of this thread is to discuss methods of securing valuables on board. We certainly know how to take care of those issues on land, where safety and crime also affect our choices.

Truly, something useful related to the purpose of this thread would be appreciated, rather than hearing over and over again how pointless jewelry is on board. We got it. You haven't a clue why we want to wear it or how to secure it.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57   #95
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" I will Coast Guard a call "
Don't waste the dime. NO ONE who can or will answer a telephone at the USCG (or any other administrative agency) can give you a legally binding answer, even if they know the correct one. If you want to make sure--you email the Commandant's Office of the Adjutant General's office and if you get no formal reply, follow up on paper.
The guys who answer public telephones, tend to be overworked and underpaid, and they have no authority to make committments. (Other than launching SAR missions, which I give them all due credit for. They do that most excellently.)
If you get a written reply (or an email complete with all header information) add it to your log book or document file, if you plan to build a secret stash.

"Here, Flipper, take this and hold on to it overnight for me." [Timmy]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:00   #96

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
You haven't a clue why we want to wear it...
I have a clue but am generally clueless.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:13   #97

Boat: Cantana 401, 41' Kaya
Send a message via Skype™ to Kaya 09
First Mate, Very good points. As I did not respond to the original question in my prior post, I will do so now. Necklaces, I have curved hanging hooks inside a storage closet. I hang the necklaces on hooks and use shock cord with hooks to secure them from 'swinging' while underway. This works very well and allows me to see all at one time in addition to keeping them from being damaged/tangled. Bracelet/charms/etc, I have a jewelry back with clear covers that has a hanger at the top. Pockets zip close. Valuables, I use access ports as storage areas. As there are so many on our boat, both hidden and in view, a theif would be challenged to find them all before being discovered. Then, there is the standard 'junk/clutter spot that always seems to catch misc items. It is the same as the 'junk' drawer at home. One never knows the treasures that can be hidden there.
Old 06-08-2009, 13:47   #98

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Junk draw

Best idea posted yet.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:56   #99

Quote:
I'm no expert, but my jewelry was safe in school.
Clever, Kathleen: what student would ever open a book outside class? lol
Old 07-08-2009, 02:57   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Women are not intrinsically stupid. We can actually figure out when it is appropriate to wear jewelry and when to put it away ...
... The purpose of this thread is to discuss methods of securing valuables on board. We certainly know how to take care of those issues on land, where safety and crime also affect our choices.
Truly, something useful related to the purpose of this thread would be appreciated, rather than hearing over and over again how pointless jewelry is on board. We got it. You haven't a clue why we want to wear it or how to secure it.
I hope you’re not implying the women’s stupidity is a learned condition!

You can figure out when to wear jewelry, but not how to put it away?

How does securing valuables on a boat differ from methods on land?
How can land-based methods be adapted to boats?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49   #101

is stupidity in the DNA or added later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
[SIZE=2]I hope you’re not implying the women’s stupidity is a learned condition!
hey Gord! are you implying women are stupid either genetically or by training?!

Certainly not, I'm sure - ;=>

We would hurt you if you respond otherwise.

If you'll note, there are some helpful posts on how to secure valuables on board.

At home, my parents used to keep their safe below the dirty clothes hamper and always left dirty clothes in the hamper. It is different on land than on sea btw.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:11   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
With all due respect:

Quote:
hey Gord! are you implying women are stupid either genetically or by training?!...
... If you'll note, there are some helpful posts on how to secure valuables on board.
... At home, my parents used to keep their safe below the dirty clothes hamper and always left dirty clothes in the hamper. It is different on land than on sea btw.
It was you, First Mate, who specified that Women are not intrinsically stupid, and that there are plenty of sensible women in Sydney & Brisbane; which prompted me to wonder why you were being so particularly specific about women’s intelligence & good sense (and fearlessness).

I saw some humour, in an otherwise, dismal and inane thread. Of course, I'm not very good with humour.

You’ll note, if you care to, that I offered my constructive comment, in post #45, way back on April 24, within a couple of days of Charlotte’s original query.

Peace.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:08   #103

user control panel. settings and options. ignore list. GordMay.

ahhhhh
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06   #104
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
LOL....plain sight.....notmuch--just a few items--my aging mother has all my GOOOOOOD stuff! gotta love momma--she guards better than a dobie...LOL!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:51   #105

actually in post #1, now that I pay attention, I think Red Charlotte was looking more for display options rather than simply storage. It is challenging to display jewlery on a mono-hull - takes a little thought.

That's it for me - I'm off to another sandbox for a while ;=>