Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 02:33   #166

Boat: Sigma 33 C
I only sail in the waters around the uk and Ireland, but always take my jewellery because it is more likely to get pinched from home than while we are on the boat. I normal put it in a small lock and lock that fits into my make up bag. That them goes the boat with me. Not that i wear it every day, only when we go ashore for a meal. Otherwise I do t even wear my weeding ring when sailing.
Sarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 19:26   #167

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Re: How Do You Store Your Jewelry ?

Finally have an answer that works for me.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:42   #168

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Both my wife and I wear our wedding rings, Pandora bracelets, and ankle bracelets. They are the only expensive jewelry we have, the rest are fake. Pandora bracelets made great gift as you can added new charms over the years. Also if you give her a solitar diamond you can buy different colored ring wraps, so it’s not the same boring ring over the years and adds color.

We have a hanging rack for ear rings and necklaces, and two wood boxes for misc. Earrings and necklace is depends on the out fit as shoes, jewelry, accessories should match the out fit. We both have our favorite standard regular every day. I prefer earrings that dangle and jingle.

My wife noticed I could take my wedding ring off. After the ceremony she had if made smaller so I can not take it off. However the one through my nose fit perfect.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:17   #169

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
For the record I didn't think it was a joke when I read the first post. Glad you found an answer that you are comfortable with. Great Blog !!!
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:45   #170

Boat: kelly peterson 44

I spent my entire life working on ships I retired 4 years ago as a captain from Maersk lines and Ill always remember when I was a Cadet the first ship I reported to the Captain asked me if I had anything of great value with me I answered "no sir" and he replied " very well, never bring anything to sea that you are not willing to part with, and the answer is no you may not bring your wife aboard". so if you have something of value leave it at home if at all possible. 12 years later when I got my first Captains job and bought a nice 350.00 pair of sun glasses as we pulled away from the dock on my first voyage as captain I looked over the bridgewing to see how the tugs were doing and away the glasses went I smiled and remembered what I was told many years ago.

USCG Master Mariner
mpatter894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:52   #171

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatter894 View Post
I spent my entire life working on ships I retired 4 years ago as a captain from Maersk lines and Ill always remember when I was a Cadet the first ship I reported to the Captain asked me if I had anything of great value with me I answered "no sir" and he replied " very well, never bring anything to sea that you are not willing to part with, and the answer is no you may not bring your wife aboard". so if you have something of value leave it at home if at all possible. 12 years later when I got my first Captains job and bought a nice 350.00 pair of sun glasses as we pulled away from the dock I looked over the bridgewing to see how the tugs wre doing and away the glasses went I smiled and remember what he had told me.
The OP isn't a crew member on a commercial vessel nor a Cadet answerable to a Captain. If she wants to bring all of her valuables aboard her boat that is her business. She was asking for ways to store/secure it not if she should have it.

I too have lost sunglasses, shoes and cell phones overboard. Lessons learned.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 13:57   #172

Boat: Various

Wifey B: I'm late to this thread but I thought it a very reasonable question. I'd expand it a bit too. What about money? Any other valuables? Passports? Boat documents? I'd even ask how much cash you carry as we've seen people carrying huge amounts, paying for 1000+ gallons of fuel with cash.

I carry very little jewelry and keep what I carry in the safe. Also, when I'm boating I don't wear much...much jewelry, I meant although it could be taken fine the other way and be true too. Other than my ring I only were really nice jewelry on those occasions we dress up and go out somewhere fancy.

When wearing it, I fear getting attacked and hurt more than losing the jewelry. And that is something fake doesn't help. If they think it's realy, they're still going to come after it.

You just take the best reasonable precaution and minimize the exposure. Oh, and don't expect to find any cash on our boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 14:34   #173

Boat: Ohlson 38

All my cash and valuables are stored in the v-berth dresser..2nd drawer from top. Note to thief: you will be very disappointed.

I've been thinking about fabricating a secret compartment, but I just can't see anyone choosing my little broke down boat to rob when there are better options.

Edit: just realized that OP asked how rather than where. I store paper money and passport in a ziplock baggy. Actually all valuable paper is zip locked.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 15:36   #174

Where ever and however you store your jewelry, put some silica packets in the container to absorb moisture so it doesn't tarnish or turn green. Usually I only take bobbles, bangles, and bright shiny beads! Just fun stuff that is Island style and things I make with collections along the way. It doesn't matter if you are a boater or a tourist, tempting poor people that see you wearing expensive jewelry will make you a target rather than someone who is interested in the people and their culture. Choose wisely how to present yourself when visiting foreign places and enjoy your travels.
HighSeasGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 16:17   #175
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Wow, some good advice and some pretty dirty wake comments, too. While I won't post it publicly contact me by PM for some advice on storing valuables on a boat. What is valuable varies by the individual; some carry large amounts of cash, some firearms, some an extra Plath sextant, and some, I suspect, jewelry. To each one's own. It's true that it doesn't come aboard if you're afraid to lose it and that in many parts of the cruising world (mostly the atlantic islands of the Bahamas and USVI's) wearing jewelry isn't a great idea), it's up to the individual to decide what is important to them...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11   #176

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I have found it difficult, as others have mentioned, not to comment on this subject. I don't understand why the OP was angered by some posters responses who found the above topic both comical and absurd for there are those who find the discussion of displaying jewelry aboard a cruising vessel as both. In a free forum of ideas, not everyone agrees with you and they should be entitled to express their differences freely and accordingly. That is the contract you assume when you post on this and other forums. It also is the strength of the forum itself. I also don't understand why her husband needed to defend his wife under criticism when she appears quite capable of defending herself. I don't believe anyone who responded did so in a vindictive or mean-spirited way, as was inferred, but rather straightforwardly and honestly. Finally, sailing is many things to many people. And, how you sail is a very personal thing. Perhaps the comments that seemed negative merely expressed how unimportant the display of jewelry is to the success of a well planned cruise and how unimportant the role of jewelry is to life in general. And to that I would heartily agree. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 09-03-2014, 20:39   #177
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I define jewelry as fine things that you might find in a jewelry store or costume jewelry as well as things like buttons strung on ribbon or painted macaroni on a string or bits of shell strung together and tied to an elastic band to wear in my hair. It's all jewelry. And, the question was about how one stores that jewelry (aboard one's boat).

Very late to the thread I come. Amazing how many people have taken the thread in so many different directions having nothing to do with what RC asked in the first place. Sometimes it seems that people reply with little quips and turns of phrase just to entertain themselves and their cronies rather than to answer the questions asked on threads like these. That seems to have happened here--with pages and pages of guys (not gals) entertaining themselves and each other on a thread that I thought was in the "women's" part of this forum. Some really sincere answers to these "other" topics raised came in as well--it isn't a complete waste, certainly.

but...

The question was simply about how to store one's jewelry (nothing here about how much it is worth or whether you should or should not have it aboard) --and that storage including a way to display (so you can see what you have!) it makes sense to most women who have more than a handful of jewelry items.

Jewelery doesn't need to be expensive to need to be properly stored so you don't lose it. I like this sort of system for both storage and display of things:

I don't know where to buy one of these, but many years ago I made a similar one from heavy vinyl (that a sheet set came in) and a scrap of felt. These days my jewelry collection that I keep aboard the boat is in a little black leather jewelry case--and some things are hanging on hooks in the stateroom. For example my favorite rings (including my diamond engagement ring when I'm not wearing it) are on cup hooks screwed through the cross (deck) beam over the head of the bed. They can't be seen from anywhere except the bed. but when I go to bed at night, I look up and there they are--twinkling at me.
Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:10   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, HighSeasGourmet.

Good advice (silica pacs)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:42   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I have found it difficult, as others have mentioned, not to comment on this subject. I don't understand why the OP was angered by some posters responses who found the above topic both comical and absurd for there are those who find the discussion of displaying jewelry aboard a cruising vessel as both. In a free forum of ideas, not everyone agrees with you and they should be entitled to express their differences freely and accordingly. That is the contract you assume when you post on this and other forums. It also is the strength of the forum itself. I also don't understand why her husband needed to defend his wife under criticism when she appears quite capable of defending herself. I don't believe anyone who responded did so in a vindictive or mean-spirited way, as was inferred, but rather straightforwardly and honestly. Finally, sailing is many things to many people. And, how you sail is a very personal thing. Perhaps the comments that seemed negative merely expressed how unimportant the display of jewelry is to the success of a well planned cruise and how unimportant the role of jewelry is to life in general. And to that I would heartily agree. Good luck and good sailing.
Well in the free form sharing of ideas here's my contribution.

My wife wanted helpful advice, not the irrelevant moanings of the typical bad-social-skills-man who seems to dominate sailing.

Although interestingly enough these people tend to dominate the docks more so than underway time.

There are helpful boaters and there are also piles of which seem to generate true happiness by habitually offering unhelpful and unfounded "advice".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:38   #180

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Well in the free form sharing of ideas here's my contribution.

My wife wanted helpful advice, not the irrelevant moanings of the typical bad-social-skills-man who seems to dominate sailing.

Although interestingly enough these people tend to dominate the docks more so than underway time.

There are helpful boaters and there are also piles of which seem to generate true happiness by habitually offering unhelpful and unfounded "advice".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Ah, Rebelheart . . . . Sigfried, Parsifal and Beowulf would be proud of your heroic stance and the poetic elegance of your response. And, since you are a well educated person and a published author, I am certain that you are learnedly conversant in Heroic Classical Literature and can appreciate the comparison. However, the aforementioned is getting off topic from your above post so let's address the issues at hand. Firstly, to say that I have bad social skills would imply that there is written code that all civil people must follow. Perhaps , you are a devotee of Miss Manners--
a dowdy schoolmarm who writes about proper etiquette to brain starved housewives and their henpecked husbands. I can assure you, I am neither. And, your assumption of bad social skills entails that there are proper and improper ways of doing or saying things. To this I would agree, but a difference of opinion can hardly be construed as bad social skills unless the one who makes the claim feels intellectually threatened by the diverging opinion--this is quite common among those who use the term Racism and Sexism when they feel they can no longer logically defend an argument. Secondly, you must surely be clairvoyant, and if not, certainly one with impressive skills of astral projection, to categorize someone you do not know personally as one who "dominates the docks" rather than "sailing time." This statement, however, is quite confusing since these are usually statements made by people who lack intelligence and human experience and we certainly know, by your own frequent admissions, that you don't fall into that abject category of humanoids. And finally, your last extremely perceptive observation that I offer "habitually . . unhelpful and unfounded advice" again portends your incredible mental abilities to project into others minds as a means of consensus for your adroit observations. I have never wanted to be Prom King or the President of Student Council. I was never voted "Most Liked" in high school, college or graduate school. But, I always found those monikers wolves in sheep's clothing since they always defined a person who best represented "The Sheeple." Why would anyone aspire to that? Sir, Rebelheart, you have been a true knight in shining armour, a Prince Valiant of the 21st Century and to this I applaud you. However, as far as your abilities to mental reasoning based upon the above remarks . . . no, that is surely a different matter. Good luck, good sailing, and may your powers of Astral Projection be passed on to those you love. Captain Rognvald--convicted of effrontery to social skills, dock sitting and frequent violator of unhelpful and unfounded advice.