Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 05:34   #61
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Re: Four People and a Sailboat. The Quest.

I agree with everything you just said. But these people are adults and have made their intentions clear, like with a grown child you voice your concerns and then back off and support the new endeavor.

I am not advising that we as a forum support a noob to buy an untested boat with untested crew and go off into the sunset, I am suggesting that we have all made our point about the difficulties invovled in buying, maintaining and sailing a large boat for a family of sailing novices so now lets stop nagging and spend more time advising...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Floolish

.........................In the long run we, as cruisers, really don't want to discourage newcomers, rather we want to encourage them. Perhaps sometimes we just end up thinking a little like parents, we don't want newbie to have to make all the same mistakes we did.

the university of hard knocks is a tough school, sometimes we just want to make things easier for the next guy

Actually, it really does sound like many on this forum ARE trying to discourage them. (I know, you're just trying to save them from making a mistake.) The parents of the generation now in charge said, "I want them to have the things I couldn't afford." How's that working out? Not too well. These alternate lifestyle folks - more power to them - have made their decision, can we just help them?
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:50   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

definitely one for the wannabe thread,which will make intresting reading in a years time or so,i wish them the best of luck!

more here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-89655-33.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:51   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuparukGypsy View Post
Actually, it really does sound like many on this forum ARE trying to discourage them. (I know, you're just trying to save them from making a mistake.) The parents of the generation now in charge said, "I want them to have the things I couldn't afford." How's that working out? Not too well. These alternate lifestyle folks - more power to them - have made their decision, can we just help them?
Sure you can, tell them what all those red and green signs are for out there in the water..............with numbers on them.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:02   #65
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sure you can, tell them what all those red and green signs are for out there in the water..............with numbers on them.
Sorted. See here for a great primer - more than most motor boaters know (yet even those eeidjits seem to get by)

Buoys and Buoyage | Navigation | Cruising | RYA

Ok...next?!!??

Lets have the next totally insurmountable mountainous problem that any reasonable person with sense would be totally unable to sort for themselves...

...we are finally "contributing"!!!

Old 27-11-2012, 06:07   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Sorted. See here for a great primer - more than most motor boaters know (yet even those eeidjits seem to get by)

Ok...next?!!??

Lets have the next totally insurmountable mountainous problem that any reasonable person with sense would be totally unable to sort for themselves...

the uk bouyage system might really screw them up on their maiden voyage in mainland usa,being the opposite way around............
Old 27-11-2012, 06:10   #67

My advice....
1. Learn to sail
2. Learn about copying with STORM conditions in mid ocean. Read about others and hopefully get a ride with an experienced captain.
3. Learn to fix all boat systems that matter to you and your safety.
4. Take baby steps before the marathon run. The ocean doesn't care about you or your family. It can be very demanding and nasty at times..
5. Have fun
6. Find the thread about the Harley guy who wanted to sail to Bermuda with zero experience. He got 35 miles off the Fla coast when a small blow made him think twice and wish he was sitting in a recliner on land...found it read it http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uda-91566.html

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:16   #68

OP's original post included this:

"We are considering a Wauquiez 49 and a Stevens 47.

Any advise and suggestions will be greatly appreciated."

Maybe my interpretaion of their request was too narrow, but I could have sworn they were looking for assistance in choosing a boat. I could be wrong though, it won't be the last time either.
KuparukGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:18   #69
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the uk bouyage system might really screw them up on their maiden voyage in mainland usa,being the opposite way around............
You beat me back to edit my own post...

Didnt think about A and B Buoy systems..

SO let me amend my post with...

Look up your local bouyage system - in the U.S it is the B system. "Red is Right Returning" which means the Red marker is on your right side when you are entering a harbor etc.

The link refers to the A system found in the UK and I think Brazil ( i should know having been there for two years - but cant remember) and some other places

However common sense still prevails - if you see a red marker on the side of a river and a green on the other side those who haven't failed Darwin's test over the years will realize they should probably stay between them...

People generally love to make it out that Sailing is hard - it isnt. It is really very simple and are so many of the different aspects of cruising.

It is the details that are hard, you can learn the basics in a year - you will spend the rest of your life never learning all the details...

edit: ...but maybe they are only looking for advice on a boat, but my point is that it isnt what we all make it out to be - you dont need a doctorate in sailing to go cruising

Old 27-11-2012, 06:19   #70

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

Ok...next?!!??

Well, it's easy when doing it one at a time while at your keyboard.

Let's say the main sailor on board has been blowing chunks for an hour and you are trying to come in from the ocean through a narrow channel where you are motoring but the roller furler is jammed and somehow the crew has let the sheet come all the way out and all that crap is flailing about in a 25 knot cross wind..................

It's cold and rainy and you are already in the narrow channel now. The motor is kinda running but is having trouble holding the boat in the channel due to the jib .............at least you will know what the green and red signs are for.

Remember these folks have never sailed. They may want to throw the anchor but how much line do they put out? Is the little girl going to do it or is chunk blower gonna man up?

They could sail in but do they know enough?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:23   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You beat me back to edit my own post...

Didnt think about A and B Buoy systems..

SO let me amend my post with...

Look up your local bouyage system - in the U.S it is the B system. "Red is Right Returning" which means the Red marker is on your right side when you are entering a harbor etc.

The link refers to the A system found in the UK and I think Brazil ( i should know having been there for two years - but cant remember) and some other places

However common sense still prevails - if you see a red marker on the side of a river and a green on the other side those who haven't failed Darwin's test over the years will realize they should probably stay between them...

People generally love to make it out that Sailing is hard - it isnt. It is really very simple and are so many of the different aspects of cruising.

It is the details that are hard, you can learn the basics in a year - you will spend the rest of your life never learning all the details...
+1
on a boat, information is your friend!
"forewarned is forearmed!"
little slip up's can have massive consequences!
Old 27-11-2012, 06:28   #72

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

If you decide that you like the Tatoosh, let me know. That is what we have (imported under the name Nassau but same boat yard, builder, etc just a different badge) and I can tell you what we love about it, what is less than ideal and how she sails. Good luck on the search. You will be fine.

People here often try to discourage new folks from what I can only guess is a desire to make themselves seem more salty and adventurous. So long as you take it slow, have respect for the forces involved and always have safety in the forefront of your mind you'll be fine. I think those who would sail a boat and flirt with death and danger are probably just as likely to kill themselves on land as at sea. Darwinism is always at work no matter where you are.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:33   #73

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuparukGypsy View Post
More power to you my friend. Mine is "If not now, then when?"
Amen to this, after reading their Blog it appears they have more of a clue than most of us.

I'm amazed that after a harrowing experience in their first sail, they want to continue.

Go for it and enjoy every minute I say.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:47   #74

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Has the OP bought a boat?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:51   #75

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship2210
Has the OP bought a boat?
In three days? That would be impressive!

Tags
sailboat