Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 05:10   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Feel of safety, feel of comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Prefer 4 step interior level changes rather than 8 step as it made food service easier.
Do You think it is important to keep the interior level changes by evn, not odd numer of steps?

Quote:
Multifunctional use of the extra guest cabin for their needs.
What do mean by multifunctional? Simply twin berths transformable to to double, or something elese?

Quote:
They hate heavy teak shower grills.
This I already learnt hard way - from my wife. She delegated to me the duty to clean this thing (in her own and personal shower) every day, so now I'm prepared to replace it by Corian
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 05:15   #32

Boat: hunter 376

Go find a luxury condominium. Now put sails and a keel on it.
Thats what they want.
You're welcome.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 05:18   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Steep, ladderlike companionway.
My wife insist on finding a way to built a shallow, but secure, stairlike companionway. Her argument is lack of possibility to use both hands and the problem of imposed unnatural posture on steep steps during food service. Any thoughts?
Understand that the demand for comfortable WOODEN rails is quite universal... And what about stainless steel wrapped in leather (just like is popular for steering wheels) ???
Old 13-01-2014, 05:22   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Go find a luxury condominium. Now put sails and a keel on it.
Thats what they want.
You're welcome.

Personally think it would be short time treat, and great incentive to non-yet-sailing women
But after the first ten feet freefall on heeling boat their view can easily change... Even to the point: "I will never go sailing on THIS again!!!".
Old 13-01-2014, 05:47   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Safety rails.

The railing around deck will be high, positioned on a kind of low bulwark rather than on the toerail.
Problem: the boat will be flush decked before the mast.
Should we go for a kind of additional railing alongside the boat's centerline?
It will not add to the beauty of the boat...

Thank You all for Your input - I appreciate it a lot

Tomasz
Old 13-01-2014, 05:59   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Feel of safety, feel of comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Personally think it would be short time treat, and great incentive to non-yet-sailing women
But after the first ten feet freefall on heeling boat their view can easily change... Even to the point: "I will never go sailing on THIS again!!!".
And that is the crux... they all hate "Tippy Tippy"..
Every woman who's sailed with me detested that.. the rest..?
I am constantly amazed at how much they'll tolerate..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 11:13   #37
cruiser

My wife is surpisingly rugged while on the boat when it's underway, but the two things she dislikes the most are going forward on the outside deck for anything while underway even though the handholds are plentiful, and stepping into the dinghy from the sugar scoop stern swim platform while at anchor. I've noticed that other women also share those two phobias when we've been on other boats. They just hate getting into a dinghy for fear of falling in the water or into the dinghy; and sometimes the uneasiness and nervousness they feel.... causes them to actually fall... making the situation even worse the next time. I just can't get her to relax and step across in one fluid motion. The same with going forward on the deck.

I don't know how these two situations can be improved. Good luck.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 12:40   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stu M:

Yes, thank you, I realized that Double Whisky is the OP. It is the implications of it that were the focus of my concern. Here he has a 56.x foot boat, he states his wife had input into, that is a production boat, and there is a larger sister ship, at 62. ft. His project boat will be "limited production."

At this point, I'm wondering whether this is to be a 72 footer, with crew accommodations. What overall length are you considering, Tomasz? Tell us more about what you think that boat will be.

Maybe the women involved would like to select the colour of the leather used in the main saloon? White looks lovely, but stains. I'm thinking the market Double Whisky is aiming at is small, and I feel unsure about how to help.

I did see burgundy coloured velvet-lined silverware drawers on one boat I was aboard. It looked nice. But I tend to think more in terms of flatware security than display.

Nonetheless, remember the crystal vases the old Rolls Royces used to have, so milady could enjoy freshly picked flowers while the chauffeur drove her about? Now, that's comfort, that's elegance.

The presence of a man-rope will help with exiting the dinghy. I think boats should not have walk through entry to the cockpit; I believe one should have a bridge deck. Milady will not be amused if a big wave comes cascading down. Such a vessel went down with all hands between New Caledonia and NZ: the wave sunk the boat.

Here's an idea Tomasz: how about optional heated towel bars? Warm towels are so nice! Also, gold plating doesn't corrode, and is relatively cheap in job lots.

It might pay to speak to a chef who is also a sailboat owner relative to what a minimum galley should be, especially dealing with the space/storage limitations there will be. Again there is the question, who will actually cook? crew or owners?

All for now,

Ann
Old 13-01-2014, 14:54   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
At this point, I'm wondering whether this is to be a 72 footer, with crew accommodations. What overall length are you considering, Tomasz? Tell us more about what you think that boat will be.
Oh, oh, oh Ann
You are way too smart!!!!!

First - I'm not a designer at all!!!!!!
Do not have all the complicated knowledge necessary. Engineering things are mystery to me.

What is my involvement in the project?
Part of the design team are my friends.
The work started some time ago as "one-off" design.
Somebody calculated that it is probably worthy to build a tooling and make the composites by injection technique. It will be cheaper for the first owner, so he agreed for the production of the boat. Small scale - one, not more than two boats per year.
I and two others friends were asked to prepare independent design briefs for such a boat. The reason was simple - all of us have some experience in sailing bigger boats (I mean 52ft +). One of us is in the matter of fact owner (not so happy, by the way) of a huge boat (one of the very famous brands). In reality (not in marketing blah, blah, blah) the biggest daysailer or weekendsailer I ever saw
I have some experience in cooperation with design team, as my own boat was custom built, using the laminates, hull appendages and rigging from production boat.
I can describe my involvement in the proces as a kind of volunteer, virtual rep of virtual prospective owner

The boat will be 75 footer (hull length).
Today, with contemporary systems, it is the "crossover" size (think Oyster 72/725) In the Med or Carib, with quite competent owners party it can be sailed for several weeks without the professional crew, only with some shore suport. Of course for prolonged voyaging it probably shall be crewed.

To accomodate different demands of different owners the construction was designed for highly modular, and so extensively customizable internal layout.

I'm sorry, but I can not provide any drawings for the moment, as the design was not disclosed by the yard yet.

I can say that involvement in this project is really (and just) great fun for me
Old 13-01-2014, 15:10   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Here's an idea Tomasz: how about optional heated towel bars? Warm towels are so nice! Also, gold plating doesn't corrode, and is relatively cheap in job lots.
Already was decided they shall be standard for all cabins en-suites.
I was informed that there is UK company, making virtually indestructible heated towel bars to measure. I'm not sure, but - if I remember correctly, the main material is bronze. I do not know about plating, but I saw a photo and the colour looked to me as much lighter than bronze. May be really gold plated - I do not know. And You are right - I was somewhat shocked when I found that gold plating is marginally more expensive than chrome plating. Process is real cost, not miniscule amount of material needed
My neighbour is proud owner of gold plated rails for curtains in the saloon of his house. The cost was about 5 % more, than my own - chrome plated
But there is some wow factor in it... WOW!!! GOLD!!!
By the way - I personally do not like gold too much. I mean gold as a colour... With metal I can do...
Old 13-01-2014, 15:33   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

There is a considerable difference in the longevity and cost of gold plating when the proper thickness, carat rating and application method is specified.

I have seen many fail early on yachts due to the client assuming all gold plating is the same
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 15:39   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There is a considerable difference in the longevity and cost of gold plating when the proper thickness, carat rating and application method is specified.

I have seen many fail early on yachts due to the client assuming all gold plating is the same
And do You have any experience regarding the chrome plating in internal use on boats?
I'm not an expert in materials anyway, just curious.
Old 13-01-2014, 15:47   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yes...like anything else you can have Feadship Standard vs "Bayliner level Standard".
The devil is always in the details
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 16:02   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes...like anything else you can have Feadship Standard vs "Bayliner level Standard".
The devil is always in the details

Read and understood

"Why Amel 55 is more expensive than Oceanis 55 ???
Both are french, and both are category A ??? "

In the matter of fact I had some doubts about chrome plating being at all really suitable for sea applications
Old 13-01-2014, 16:09   #45

When the late Jim Whitley designed power boats in Melbourne Australia he said "I don't make boats for men I make them for women because if you can keep the women dry and comfortable then you have sold a boat". I recently bought a second hand 5.3 Whitley power boat not knowing anything about Whitley's but I loved the layout and the little touches that other boats in the same price length range did not have.
The boat has white fur lining the inside cabin area and a radio and you can make up a full size bed and it feels very cosy. The cabin has an open feel and you can look up at the stars at night. It has a section for the porta loo and a little sink under the seat with a small water tank. There is a shower hose off the back etc.
It was after I purchased the boat that I began reading up on Whitleys and it was interesting to read what attracted me to the boat. Enjoy!
Rossie
Sea Shaw Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety