Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 03:46   #91

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Feel of safety, feel of comfort

In regard to plastic, I recall a big bunch of pneumatic tubes that were used for opening doors, maybe some valves. Not so much the equipment was poor but I thought it was ordinary that many motors were below foot plates and they got wet in a rising bilge level. Sail boat, superyacht generally tight for space. Can't remember make of captive winch. Mind you they never got used much as generally charterer was in a hurry. This thing could do 25knots. Look up MitseaAH sailboat. Thats a speed boat in the jacuzzi. I asked one time why they use Dockwise, instead of sailing across the atlantic, skipper says that he doesn't want to explain to owner how he damaged $200000 worth of sail.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 03:55   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
In regard to plastic, I recall a big bunch of pneumatic tubes that were used for opening doors, maybe some valves. Not so much the equipment was poor but I thought it was ordinary that many motors were below foot plates and they got wet in a rising bilge level. Sail boat, superyacht generally tight for space. Can't remember make of captive winch. Mind you they never got used much as generally charterer was in a hurry. This thing could do 25knots. Look up MitseaAH sailboat. Thats a speed boat in the jacuzzi. I asked one time why they use Dockwise, instead of sailing across the atlantic, skipper says that he doesn't want to explain to owner how he damaged $200000 worth of sail.
Once upon a time I was visited a stand of well known motor boat brand at Dusseldorff. I was very curious about the limited fuel tankage on 70+ footer. Asked a lot of questions and at the end the manufacturer's representative told me: "O.K., You are a cruiser, so You think different way. Our researches show, that our average boat of this size spends (can not recall precisely - something about 15 - 25) hours per year out of the harbour. If somebody want to cruise, we are able to fit proper tanks as an option". One is learning something new each day in life...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 04:42   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Look up MitseaAH sailboat.
One could expect the boat from Pandennis to be faultless...
Old 15-01-2014, 09:23   #94

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
If I ever go motor way, I want to find the boat so homely as Yours

Pay my regards to Your wife

Tomasz

I was not a happy camper at the time we bought the boat as we were looking at 40 ft sleek, fast, pretty, plastic boats, and she end up buying a big old slow ugly trawler. However if we had bought the boat I want to buy we would not have been a live aboard for 16+ years.

So to appease me, we have a 20 ft go fast run about moored next to the Eagle that I/we use most days in the summer. So now I am a happy camper as the wife is still reasonably happy, but she keep looking at 70+ ft boats? If we were 20 years younger, not going to retire July of this year, she probable would buy a bigger boat as our boat does not have a jet bath tub. I have offered to have in install but that would take our hanging storage closet/stateroom. Seattle boat show is end of January and she really like the 65 ft Pacific Marine as it has a bath tub.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I humbly suggest , that boat doesnt go to sea often!. Anyone can live at the dock, if the boat is big enough.

dave
I admit we do not leave the dock very often as we live on the boat 24/7 365 days, so our vacation are mostly on the dirt. However, for the protect water of the Puget Sound, the straits, Islands and left side inside passage we do not take down or stow vey many things. The main item is the jewelry racks as they becomes a tangled mess and a few pictures as the Eagle does not roll/keel much with a 6 ft draft and 40+ tons. You sailor type could learn a thing or two from us old trawler boaters as they have many safty fetures and creature comforts.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:39   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Back to the OP's question. Here is a link to a calculator for stability/comfort comparisons of sailboats that's interesting.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:40   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Once upon a time I was visited a stand of well known motor boat brand at Dusseldorff. I was very curious about the limited fuel tankage on 70+ footer. Asked a lot of questions and at the end the manufacturer's representative told me: "O.K., You are a cruiser, so You think different way. Our researches show, that our average boat of this size spends (can not recall precisely - something about 15 - 25) hours per year out of the harbour. If somebody want to cruise, we are able to fit proper tanks as an option". One is learning something new each day in life...

There is a big difference between heavy long range motor and sail boats. Most long range motor boats have large fuel and water tanks, a slow turning larger prop, low hp engine, and easy access to both side of the engine and gen set. Most items are commercial/industrial grade that has a proven live. There is nothing wrong with hydraulics if it size and strong enough for the application. Most commercial boats have hydraulics for the winches/booms/windless, net drums etc.

Lastly the fuel and water tanks are usually double/three time of a pleasure. the Eagle hold 490 gallons of water, has a water maker and 1200 gallons of diesel for a range of 2000+ miles. At or below hull speed about 2,500+ miles. Which is way more than most pleasure boats want or needs as they require special care and maintenance. Most long range have basic/ proven systems.

Being the Eagle was build on a commercial trawler hull and running gear. There is a big difference between commercial and long range boats, power or sail than pleasure boating standards. If you, power or sail, are in the Seattle area let me know as we can talk boats. I mainly speak trawler which is a close kin to a sail boat with out sails. De mast a sail boat and you basically have a trawler.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:09   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back from the drift - more thoughts about what to avoid?
Old 20-01-2014, 13:58   #99
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

There are a LOT of comfort and safety ideas for cruisers on our website....and ALL of them are approved and used by our (very ladylike!) Admiral. We only offer products that we test on board and enjoy ourselves. So have a browse and, if you see something you like, email or PM us as we can ship almost anything and we're happy to put together special deals for fellow CF cruisers.

BTW, there's plenty of stuff there to appeal to the other gender as well.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety