Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 05:00   #1

Family sailing introduction days

Hi,

I've just joined. I live in Essex in the UK with my wife and 2 daughters aged 8 and 13. I currently work in London and have a long term plan to possibly take the family cruising for a few months in about 5 years time. It's a good opportunity because we clear all of our debts in about a year from now, I would be able to take a sabbatical from work and the kids will be at a good point school wise.

This is very much in the initial idea stage.

I have some limited sailing experience from rya courses a few years ago but the rest of the family have no experience so the first part of the plan is to get everyone on an actual sailing boat for a day or so to see how they all get on with it. The kids have never actually been on a proper sailing boat yet.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of places that provide a sort of introduction day or something in the uk for families. So far I've found Sunsail who seem to do a days family sailing and reviews of their holidays seem pretty good.

Simon.
Thecornflakefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 23:44   #2

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Re: Family sailing introduction days

Welcome to CF Simon. You might try contacting a local yachting club.

Scott
Old 02-04-2016, 02:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Simon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:46   #4

Boat: Lagoon 420

Good luck with your plan! 👍

Take some classes & do some chartering. It worked for us. Also don't go crazy but do small steps instead. That will keep from overwhelming the family which is the easiest way to turn them off.

Have fun. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:21   #5

Thanks for the replies, we're close to an estuary and I think there are a couple of sailing clubs in the area so I'll see what I can find.

Definitely agree it needs to be small steps which is why I'm planning quite far ahead.
Thecornflakefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:14   #6

Boat: TBC

Hi Simon
I'm based at Thurrock Yacht Club in Essex.
Club night is on a Thursday night. Although we don't provide training or days out there is plenty advice and help if your interested in boats.

The nearest RYA registered sail training center to Essex is based in Chatham marina on the Medway;

Elite Sailing

They offer a range of boat related courses and I think they do an introduction days.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 15:04   #7

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi Simon, I belong to this club: Channel Sailing Club - Home.
Our committee is just discussing ways to encourage new members to join the club and one of the ideas is a "try a boat" day. Sounds like it might suit your family but It would be in the Solent, though, not Essex.

Have a look at the website to find out more about us. My own boat is a 36 ft Westerly based in Port Solent. Might see you some time? Clive.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 15:13   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Happy to have you and the family onboard -

Www.facebook.com/BlueOceanSails

....of course there's that air fare issue 🙃
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

Hi Simon,

You should be able to find a day charter fairly easily in the UK. It doesn't have to be specifically a "family day sail" if you charter the boat for part of a day with a captain and tell him or her what you want to do.

Here's an article about sailing with kids, and be sure to check out the kids4sail facebook group as well.

You won't regret getting out sailing with your kids!
Old 19-05-2016, 07:57   #10

Boat: Hunter 212

Hi all,

I just signed up for the forum as well. My wife and family (4 kids from 12-2yrs) are in the same spot. We have a long term plan very similar. My wife and I are very accustomed to the water in MN but not much sailing exp. We took a weekend lesson through ASA in Northern MN and we loved it so much that last fall we bought a small day sailer. We have small motor boat, canoes and kayaks that the kids have used. This winter got a member at the local pool and spent a lot of time in the water for the little ones to get used to the water and a PFD. We have taken the sailboat out probably 10-12 times so far, but the first 5 times was without the mast and sails. When we added the sails it was almost a natural progression to the change in motion of the heeling over. We have only sailed on inland protected waters so far, the goal is to possible go to the Apostles Island in August but we will see what the comfort level is.

Sorry for the long winded post. We took small steps with our family of 6 and they ask all the time when we are going out again. This weekend we are going to camp/sleep on the boat overnight for the first time.

SV Alphabet Soup
SVAlphabet Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 04:59   #11

Hi Simon,

We're members of Burnham Sailing Club which is low cost, family oriented, and friendly. I'd suggest getting along to a club..... Any club, and asking around to see if anybody would take your family out for a sail, we've done this for several club members. The benefit is that you're then going on another family boat with kids to show your kids all the fun stuff, they're less likely to be nervous if they can see other kids enjoying themselves.
Laurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 17:37   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Hi Simon,
we have recently moved aboard indefinitely with our 2 kids, (8 and 11), and are currently sailing up east coast of Australia. Prior to purchasing this boat at the end of last year we chartered boats on only 2 occasions, for 2 weeks each, with the kids.
(My husband and I both had sailed on and off, but mainly in trailer sailers and dingys). Prior to last week, neither the kids or myself had had any offshore experience! But those 2 previous trips in the Whitsundays and Aegean, were momentous for the kids and I in that we learnt so much, primarily that living aboard is for us, and created amazing memories. In Turkey we chartered through Aura yachting, near Bodram. They were fantastic, as was condition of the boat and the area for cruising with the kids.

Anyway, if you are not yet confident in your own skills a yacht club will soon sort that out.

cheers and goodluck
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, introduction, sail, sailing