Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 14:49   #1

family Crew availability

New to this forum and I just wanted to post the question: Is it possible a family of three could be a crew team? It would be our 5 year old daughter, my partner who has experience in sailing, kayaking, scuba diving and was in the US Navy, and myself who has sailed once to Alaska, some paddling experience, sewing, and a great cook. It would be great to join another family but it just isn't feasible to purchase a sailboat quite yet. Interested in hearing comments concerns or even encouragement.
Arnmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 20:24   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: family Crew availability

It is extremely unlikely that you will find a ride with your entire family. Think about it: you will encumber the boat with three bods, one of which requires nearly constant watching and care. This leaves but one to be of help crewing. Further, (here I can only speak for myself) a skipper who would take on the responsibility for the safety of a small child who is not his own is braver than I am. I love kids, sailed with mine when they were small, but would not willingly take on someone else's as "crew". The ramifications of injury to a child on board are too severe in today's world.

I'm sure that you and your family are good folks, but seen as a crew you would be a liability as newcomers and not much better if you adults were good hands. BTW, all the above is predicated on the interpretation of your post as wanting to go on a significant cruise or voyage. If all you are interested in is daysailing, then the prospects are far better. If you follow the advice of many others to join a sailing club or even just hang around marinas a lot you are likely to fine a sympathetic owner who needs crew for short sails... and there is your entry point.

Good luck with it all, for it is a great life.

Jim

Tags
crew, family