Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2009, 21:56   #16

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
I guess it is 'G'day' as the Aussies seem to be still awake.
Yes, the OP was about 'ablutions' and handling them at the least cost to all the fittings and gear that they require.
I am happy to hear about your tested funnel design, not that I am planning on visiting you anytime soon, but who knows?
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 22:05   #17

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
I like the idea of being able to pee at the helm...saves excited radio contact at night.
Old 20-09-2009, 22:42   #18

For Kismet - for your byline- if you really need proof!

Well, here's a perfectly (almost..some might get upset,,, there's thigh showing!) modest pic of it in use while chatting to the helmsman, show's how discrete, easy to use, and easily accepted it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ptube.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	10055  
kiwiradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 22:49   #19

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Looks good to me.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 23:05   #20

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Well... I've now had 30-some years to practice my aim, and I'm sure I can now hit my cockpit drain if I wanted to, but I think I'm with Mark on this one. I have no desire for my ship to degenerate into an army barracks (or worse). Civilization (and a manual head) is a good thing.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 00:50   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I like the pee tube idea...and I as a man would probably use it as well.
Good one Kiwiradical...keep-em cooming!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 02:24   #22

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Some cruisers from South Africa built themselves a poop deck. A small "porch" overhanging the stern with a bench seat, one end had a lift up cover under which was a toilet seat and a bottomless 5 gallon bucket.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 03:56   #23
CLOD

Boat: none
This is an unbelievable thread! Unless one comes from a place where peeing in the street is acceptable I don't see how this would be acceptable to you. In fact I don't see peeing in the cockpit acceptable. Next we all will be going up to the "head" of the boat.

And if it is suppose to be a "safety" thing; if things are that bad out that you cann't go below they are too rough to be using this "tool". If it is so dangerous that you cann't go below to pee then you are at the pee in your pants point.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 04:15   #24

Who knew that this would turn almost as divisive as an anchor thread?

I think the OP's idea is very good for passages. Don't think it'd be too good in port or anchorage though.

I also think most of our female friends would be aghast at the idea initially (urban life being what it is) but those few with a rural background would see it as no big deal.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 04:27   #25

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Under the right situations I think it is an acceptable consideration. You can actually buy a similar device. There was a time when I flew small aircraft, no head and you could not get up. I used what was called a little john, it worked well.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 07:41   #26

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Kiwiradical, great post! Enjoyed it on multiple levels.

Having a single head on my boat and occasionally having several guest crew it has occasionally been a problem with timely access. Think the idea is great. It is actually the Same as used in many military aircraft/ trucks and even motorcycles (bikers buddy). I actually saw some similar devices with suction that were used on the first SkyLab. One was a stand up for #1 and a wall mounted thing you had to press against in a squatting position for a proper seal when #2 was the mission.

I'm "may" be more immodest that what some posters appear to be but I would have no problem with its use. When you gotta go you gotta go and particularly when no one else is around that can be offended.. go for it!
Old 21-09-2009, 09:51   #27

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Noble? No. Savage? Perhaps.
When all else fails I bet you could use the galley sink as a pee receptacle if you have something to rinse it out with.
All I ask is that people take the dishes out of the sink first, I do...

Interesting thread. Seems like a practical solution to me.
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 10:49   #28

Boat: Jason 35
Here is one man's opinion of this thread: It is sooooooooo sexy!!! Sorry for being such a 'Guy' but my gosh!!! That pic from kiwiradical to prove her point ... hold on, I need to get my breathing under control ...
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 11:24   #29

Boat: not yet!
Some nerve!

ummmm... I am not sure what the big deal is! For those of you who have compared this contraption or practice to people "peeing in the street" are crazy! Where do you think your pee goes when you go in the toilet?? Wow! Personally I LOVE the idea. As a woman who is very active in the outdoors I can say that I would definitly use this especially on overnight watches. I recently went down the Grand Canyon on a private raft trip and there was a women rafter who used a simalr funnel device. She wore a dry suit and this came in very handy as she did not have to take off her entire suit or pull over to shore to go #1 and she was solo. Would you say she is no better than someone peeing in the streets? Unbeliveable! I have spent a lot of time on river trips and most people know that you are supposed to pee directly in the river (leave no trace ethics) and I personally, along with my river buddies, have gotten over being shy about taking care of business - this does not make us disgusting or lacking of moral or hygeine values -this makes us human! Geez! Obviously going #2 is diferent and we always take a groover and dispose of that properly.

Thanks for sharing this info, it is mush appreciated by a woman!!

As a fairly new sailor and typically just a reader of this forum, not contributer (as I really feel I have no knowledge to share yet), I am sometimes appaled at the comments of other members. I find it very discouraging at times that instead of people being supportive and open to new ideas they are quick to judge and put people down. I realize this is a free world and you are entitled to your own opinion but really - what ever happened to - if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all? Especially in reagards to a matter that is not life or death and does not effect you personally! Get over yourselves! Ok - rant over and I hope that most of the members whom this does not apply you do not take offense.
jennsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 11:31   #30

Boat: Jason 35
To jennsnow -
Hear, hear.
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended cruising